Prest-O Change-O! DIY Lamp Makeovers

by Diane Henkler on 09/15/2010

A basket,  a table runner, or a metal flower pot are some of the easiest ways to quickly change the personality of a lamp in an instant.

Before

A white ceramic base

Easy Lamp Makeovers

Prest-o  Change-o   –  a rustic look.

DIY Lamp Shade Makeovers

I placed the white ceramic lamp into a basket so it would blend in with a rustic decor.  The trick is finding a basket that covers the base completely. I covered the white shade by tying on a cream colored crocheted table runner with twine.

Before and After and a Variation

Lamp Makeovers

All of these photos are from my book, Instant Decorating so they might look a bit dated, but I wanted to show you how easy it is to quickly change a lamp with items you may already have laying around your house.

The shade in the first photo is fabric shirred and  glued on along the top and bottom.  I glued decorative cord to finish the top edge.

The black shade was made of shiny black fabric fused to interfacing and pleated.

All instructions are at the end of the post.

Shade Slipcover using burlap and ribbon.

How to make an easy burlap lamp shade cover

Shade Slipcover using bright colors for kid’s rooms.

DIY Lamp Shade Makeovers

Step-By-Step Instructions

Crocheted or Lace Table Runner Shade Cover

Lamp Makeover Tutorial Using a Basket

Lamp Shade Slip Cover

How to make a lamp shade cover tutorial

**For a less gathered look for the shade cover, you only need to add about 1/2 the bottom circumference, not double as stated in Step 1.

How to make a lamp shade cover

Shirred and Glued Lamp Shade Cover

How to make a lamp shade cover tutorial

How to make a Lamp shade tutorial

Pleated Fabric Lamp Shade Cover

How to make a pleated lampshade cover

How to make a pleated lampshade

1 Diana K September 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I find it amazing how much changing a lampshade can change a whole lamp. I have a lamp that I love -have had it for years and have never been able to find a shade that fits it properly. I think I am going to have to play around and maybe take the framework of one that is almost deep enough and add a bit of trim or fringe or something to the bottom. Of course, because I have had the stinking thing for so long it is bright brass so NOW I have to spray paint it first! lol But, I must say…your blog got me thinking about what I can do! Hugs- Diana

2 Diane September 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

There are so many great spray paints to choose from. I am sure once you are done, your lamp will look great without a ton of effort or expense.

3 Stephanie@cre8tive September 16, 2010 at 11:28 am

Wow those are super cute! I am in love the burlap one.

4 Ann September 16, 2010 at 11:31 am

Wonderfulnous! Your lamp redos have me looking at several of my own with a calculating eye. I have one shade which I want to cover with muslin that has writing on it…still working the details out on that. Your book always sounds fantastic, seems you have always had great ideas!

5 Diane September 17, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Ann-

I try to re-do a project every once an awhile from the book. Since fall is all about rustic and leaves, I figured I would post the photos right out of the book. It makes me smile that you found inspiration. :)

6 La September 16, 2010 at 7:45 pm

This lamp is so cheerful. It turned out very nicely. La

7 Rebecca September 16, 2010 at 11:09 pm

So many great variations to a lamp!

8 lindy September 17, 2010 at 2:17 am

No way! I have never thought about doing this. What a good idea and so much easier ( and less permanent) than making a lamp out of the basket. Love the 3 different pics of the room, too!

9 Lamb September 19, 2010 at 2:06 am

Ooh, I love that burlap shade! I could spend all evening browsing through all your pretty decorating photos here :)

10 jen @ tatertots and jello September 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

So cute!! It’s so funny, I am working on a lamp slipcover project for my Laundry Room too. Great minds think alike :) Awesome project!!

xox
Jen

11 Danielle September 19, 2010 at 10:51 pm

What a great idea!

-Danielle

12 Claudia September 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Great tips for updating a lamp!

13 Angi February 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I sooooo LOVE the burlap lamp shade cover! Awesome!

14 Angi February 5, 2011 at 10:52 pm

P.S. I found you over on LambAround:)