How To Make Canopy Bed Curtains

by Diane Henkler on 03/30/2011

It was time for a little updating in my guest room.  It all started after creating the gallery wall.  You know how it goes – one change leads to another.    I am tweaking a few things and am doing it all very inexpensively – like under $50.00.   Everything I am doing in this room is budget friendly and easy to replicate in your own home.   I am going to show you my progress in my next few posts.

The Gallery Wall that started it all.

3D-Gallery-wall-done

This is my guest room. I took down a bed hanging to paint the wall.  I also painted the bed white, but what I want to show you is how easy it is to make a bed hanging to accent your bed and give your room impact.

Guest-Room-Before

This is how I made my bed hanging. I found two white curtain panels at my local thrift store for $4.30.  They are heavy cotton duck – what a deal. The center black and white check fabric is from JoMar – my fave dollar a yard place.  I simply made a rod pocket and header across the top of the width of fabric.  You could also do this with iron on tape making it a no- sew project. ( I will be bringing that to you soon).

After-an-easy-way-to-make-a

For the rod, I duct taped two shorter rods that I had on hand together. That alone was not enough to keep it rigid so I had an old plastic shower rod tube in my basement and encased my duct taped rods in that. Presto- Change-o  a rod. It may not be pretty – but

InMyOwnStyle-Quote

How-to-make-a-bed-hanging-2

How-To-Make-A-Bed-Hanging-w

1.  I hung the rod on two wood curtain rod brackets that I painted white.

Rod-and-bracket

2.  I then hung the center fabric on the rod.

How-to-make-a-bed-hanging-u

3.  Then my thrift store panels on each side – Voilà ! an easy bed hanging.  Super simple and thrifty.

AFter-Hwo-to-make-a-bed-han

I like to be resourceful. If you don’t have a rod – go hunting in your basement and see what alternatives you can find.  Perhaps you can come up with something to add to these options.  Broom stick?….

Tip---Bed-Hanging-Rod-Oprio

After-How-to-make-a-bed-han

Next up – the window treatment, chest of drawers, and then the accessories I added.

Related Guest Room Posts:

Guest Room Table – How To Make a Chic Butler’s Table

Easy Sew Reversible Padded Headboard Cover

Update a Hand-me Down Dresser Makeover

1 Ashlyn March 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Looks great so far…can’t wait to see the rest of it!
xo
Ashlyn

2 Suzan March 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I can’t wait to see the window treatment! This looks like something I would love to do in my bedroom.

3 Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea March 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm

What a great idea – thanks for the tutorial – I may give this a try!

4 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions March 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

This turned out really nice, Diane! I love the painted bed, too. I’ve used PVC pipe for non-viewable panels that were concealed under a wood cornice over my den’s french doors. They are stationery panels and so the PVC worked great.

5 Lisa March 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thanks for letting us know how you did this….Looks wonderful! I like how it frames the bed..a nice accent!!

6 Cindy March 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Looks so pretty!!!

7 Ashleigh@SincerelyCo March 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I always thought these looked so grand and lush. I can’t believe how simple it can really be to achieve that look. This looks great! I may have to try this some day!

8 Flowershopgurl March 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm

What a lovely way to add interest to a wall above a bed, I love it! Stopping by from a Good Life Wednesday’s!
Hugz,
Kim

9 Marty@A Stroll thru Life March 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I love it. It looks fabulous. I really like the check fabric with the white. Adds such interest. Great job. Hugs, Marty

10 casey martinez March 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

That is so beautiful and so creative!! Love it! very me;0

11 Carol-Anne: Use the Good Dishes! March 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I’m interested to see what you do with the window treatments….I have one of these over my bed, but always feel like the curtains kind of ‘fight’ with it. Can’t wait to see it.

12 Michelle @Thrifty 101 March 30, 2011 at 10:07 pm

What a great idea! I love the duct tape. ;) I’d love for you to link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday at Thrifty 101. :) http://thrifty101.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-thrifty-thursday-9.html

13 Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. March 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm

This is shaping up to be a very warm and welcoming room Diane. And I just love your gallery wall!

14 Stephanie@cre8tive March 31, 2011 at 12:35 am

Changing one little thing does lead to so many more! But I love what you are doing, it so fresh and yet so easy to do. What great tips you gave on the rods, most people don’t think outside the box like you do, it is refreshing to see. Those reading lamps are great aren’t they? Don’t take up table space and yet are perfect for reading in bed.

15 Diana K March 31, 2011 at 1:03 am

It is looking good~ very, very good! We have been traveling and when I was using my hubby’s laptop I could NOT post to your blog…even typing in all the info again didn’t seem to help…but HERE I AM NOW! Can’t wait to see the rest. I am a taper and hider of ill used goods too! xxoo Diana

16 Kim March 31, 2011 at 9:15 am

Diane, you are so resourceful. This looks marvelous! Can’t wait to see the whole new room.

17 The Tall Chick - Mary March 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

What a fabulous tutorial!! I am going to file this one as inspiration when we move our daughter into her “big girl” room. I think this would be so gorgeous as her headboard with fun, girly fabric! :)

Thanks for the inspiration and for stopping by my blog to leave a comment and be a follower. It’s very much appreciated.

18 Nat's Nest March 31, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Saw you featured on Censational Girl. Love the blanket!

19 tammy March 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm

i would love it you shared this at my party! you did a fabulous job, looks great.

20 Tatum March 31, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I love this idea, simple with a lot of impact. You’ve got my mind reeling with possibilities, thanks for sharing. I found you at Savvy Southern Style.

Tatum

21 tammy April 1, 2011 at 12:39 am

thanks for sharing this, it really is agreat idea. i love the one in your master bedroom too! i want to do something like that for my daughter.

22 Christine April 1, 2011 at 8:34 am

This little tiny sentence where you “painted the bed white”…do you strip or sand this all the way down or are you just taking off the sheen? I have a paint sprayer and still…it’s hard!
Christine
greatoakcircle.com

23 Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} April 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Beautiful–I really want to use this myself.

24 Katharine April 3, 2011 at 3:45 am

This looks great and I love how you modified the rod. lol I’ve been thinking of using a wall hanging over my bed, but I want to swag them to the side. Still mulling over this…

I hope you are having Spring now or soon.

Katharne

25 linda August 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

You can usually find brooms and mops at the dollar store if you don’t have a broom stick you want to sacrifice for a curtian rod.

26 Peggy Snyder September 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Another curtain hanging idea: Dowels. I happen to keep them around for projects and was really hard up for a curtain rod one day. I have found they work just fine. Sometimes, if I don’t get a nice cut on the end (after cutting them the right size for the window) I have to sand them a bit so they don’t snag the fabric. They can be stained or painted (though I never have). And you can buy different sizes very economically at almost any hardware store.