Re-Invent the Gift Bag

by Diane Henkler on 04/22/2011

It is almost May and everyone knows that means Spring, the start of being outdoors more, and flower bed design.  It also is the start of the gift giving season – Easter, Mother’s and Father’s day, graduations, and weddings.

To make giving a gift a bit easier, but still in eye-catching style I have come up with a few ideas on how you can easily “tweak” a plain gift-bag into something unique that will have the recipient squealing in delight – “for me ?

You can buy plain white and colored shopping bags in bulk at craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore. They cost under $10 for a stack.  I keep a bunch of white ones on hand as I can add anything to them without having to worry about an embellishment matching or not.  For most of the ideas below you will need a hole punch, ribbons, beads, decorative paper, glue, brass fasteners, along with a few odds and ends.

Happy Gift-Giving!

Hoe-to-decorate-a-gift-bag-

How-to-decorate-a-giftbag--

How-to-decorate-a-plain-gif

CREating-one-of-a-kind-gift

How-to-make-a-decorative-gi

How-to-decorate-a-gift-bag-

Can you think of any other ways to decorate a gift bag?

1 Ivy April 22, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

2 Diane April 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Hi Ivy-

I love this kind of stuff and enjoy drawing the little colorful illustrations to help readers envision the ideas that are always swimming around in my head. I hope you have a great weekend.

3 Milk & Cookie Party April 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

I love this post. Perfect timing for Teacher Appreciation when I have to come up with something cute, special and that costs next to nothing for approximately 60 staff!

4 Diane April 22, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hi Ann-

I knew there were more gift-giving events, but could not think of them all when writing the post. Teachers – forgot about them since my kids are grown – Thanks Anne

5 Tys April 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

These are all wonderful ideas! I try to jazz up my bags, but haven’t been this creative! I think I’ll print this out and tape to the top of my bags & ribbon rubbermaid ;)

6 Katherine April 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

Great idea! Happy Friday,Happy Good Friday, Happy Earth Day, Happy Jelly Bean Day ( yes it’s actually jelly bean day)Hugs from Katherine. P.S have you entered my giveaway?

7 Diane April 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Hi Katherine-

It is a happy Friday all around!!

8 Bettsi April 18, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Oh my goodness, Diane! Look at your darling illustrations- is there anything you can’t do? I love your creative solutions to the plain bag.