Banquette Window Seat Makeover

I had a few distractions and events get in the way over the past week, but I finally completed the fabric makeover on my kitchen banquette.  It has been kind of dreary here since Sandy came through town, but I tried to get the best photos I could of the new fabric covers.  It does make the kitchen look much brighter and that was my goal.  If you are unfamiliar with how I built the banquette – you can find the full tutorial in the post I wrote about it – How To Build a Banquette Window Seat in Your Kitchen.

Kitchen-Banquette-Window-se

I used a set of drapes to cover the bottom cushions using my favorite no-sew method – safety pins, but I did get the sewing machine out to make new covers for the pillows.

To make the covers for the pillows, I wanted both sides to look finished. Instead of having a back opening style cover, I made both sides – one solid piece. It takes a bit more time to make, but this way if one side gets a stain, I can just switch the pillow to the other side.

How-to-sew-a-pillow-cover

I didn’t have the time to take photos of the step-by-step process, but it is just a basic pillow cover – no cording or trim added.

I measured the pillow width, height, and depth and cut two pieces of fabric to those measurements and then added an inch to each side to allow for the seam.  Once the fabric was cut, I placed the right sides of the fabric together and sewed one short side and the two long sides together on my sewing machine.  I turned the fabric right side out and then placed the pillow inside.  To close the cover, I folded the raw un-sewn edges of fabric over an inch and pinned the two sides together – then sewed it closed.   Repeat – 5 more times…

How-to-make-a-kitchen-banqu

If you are thinking about building a banquette or window seat in your kitchen I highly recommend it.  It is the best home improvement project we did.  It not only adds architectural interest to the room, but saves floor space since no chair slide-back room is needed between the table and walls.

So now that I am finished the cushions and pillows – you know how it is – once you get one project finished it makes the things around it look off.

Banquette-Makeover-in-Kitch

Wish I could buy a Restoration Hardware table, but that is not going to happen – so I will be painting the chairs once again and perhaps doing something to the base metal on the table.   I have not come up with a plan yet, but I know I want to lighten them up.

Restoration Hardware Salvaged Wood Pedstal Table

When I bought the chairs they were dark green, then I white-washed them yellow and painted a vine on the backs.  They hung around for about 7 years and started to show wear, so I painted them- to the current black.  I have 5 of these chairs and only use 3 now.  I went to my basement and brought up one that is still yellow.  The back looks OK, but the rungs and the bottom are beaten up.

Painted-Chair-Ideas

I was thinking about a color something like this table for the chairs – a pale chartreuse.

Better Homes and Gardens

BH&G

Or an aged turquoise.

grahamandgreen1

BH&G

Whatever new color I choose – it will be the 4th color of paint the chairs have worn.

Gotta love the ease, affordability, and the power of paint and fabric!

Related Posts on the Banquette

How to Build a Banquette

Make cushion covers for a banquette using drapes.

Comments

1. Kimberly Bruhn says

I like the green but love the turquoise…my new accent color. Was just at Michael’s today (using my coupons…wahoo!) and they have some amazing turquoise mercury glass votives on sale and lots of Christmas “stuff” with turquoise accents. Since you like the Restoration Hardware table/chairs, couldn’t you do a color like the secretary that’s pictured behind your photo of the “No-Sew Ottoman?” It’s a distressed oyster-ish color. Plus, it looks good with the dark peeking out (and, you already have black underneath). Whatever you go with, I’m sure it’ll look great!

2. sgarrie says

An option for the table would be to replace the top. It would come at a cost though. Have you consider a marble or granite top. Some marble & stone places will give good discounts on “remenant” pieces and cut it to the size you need. That would be a rather large remenant though. :) A place near me gives remenants and pieces with imperfections away for free, some of them are rather large because of mistakes made in measuring. They only charge to cut it down.

3. Margaret says

I really like your banquette. These are two of my favorite colors, especially when used together. I really like the green, but if I had to choose between the two, I’d pick the turquoise. It looks really rich.

My husband and I are just finishing up repainting our kitchen and we’re considering installing a banquette similar to yours – not sure yet though. We actually bought two old ones from a thrift store and will re-work them if we decide to go that route.

A side note… I saw your bathroom remodel in the most recent edition of “This Old House” magazine. It looks great!

Oh I know what you mean about doing one thing and everything around it seems “wrong”. I went through a chair/table dilemma for our new house too.

I think either of the colors of your throw pillows would be great for the chairs …depending on which color you want to highlight based on other things in the room(s). And a lighter (maybe white?) base and table top too.

OK..call me crazy but the new repositionable (i.e. easy to remove) Contact paper is sturdy. You could buy one roll (about $6) and use it on the table top to get a granite or marble look. I know..it’s a cheapy way to decorate. I was thinking of having a butcher block on the small counter top right beside the stove in our former home. Couldn’t commit to to, but wanted to see how it would look so I covered it with wood grain Contact paper. It held up for months and months and months! Whodathunk! Haha! Of course there’s always paint for the table top :-)

You are so crafty with sewing, why not make slip covers for your chairs similar to the look of the RH chairs? Oh I know, they’re not going to have the same shape, but the fabric could certainly be copied and it will give those chairs an entirely new face :-) Paint the legs and table to look similar in tone to the RH table and you’ve got a very custom look….albeit not as visually heavy weight as their table and chairs.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

That really looks nice! Isn’t it awesome when you can change things up a bit with things you already have on hand? I love the colors you chose to. I have a set of drapes about that same color I bought from Sears moons ago and since I paid like 300.00 plus for the 4 sets I hate to get rid of them. I keep hanging onto them trying to figure out what I can do with them. They are dry clean only though so whatever I did with them might wind up to be a mess. lol
    I’ve been itching to do some changing up of my house this fall but haven’t done it yet.
    Anyway I like what you did and it looks great!

Hi Jayne –
      Thanks. I think it is the best home improvement project I have ever done. It not only opened up the floor space in my kitchen, but added character, and comfy seating to the room as well. If my husband and I have to move – it will be a priority to make one in my new kitchen.
      Thanks for pinning :)

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job.
    I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.

I am sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

7. Lisa says

Okay…I just finished reading about your FAB-U-LOUS banquett and I want one!! I want to jazz up the kitchen with all the crown molding I can fine…BUT WE ARE RENTING!!! Is there anyway to make one and it not be permanent? Please help me figure it out!! We have a tiny kitchen but have a very nice room next door that we have dubbed the ‘breakfast room’ so I MUST have a banquett!! Help me figure out how to do one that doesn’t have to be screwed into the wall with lag bolts but still would be stationary and not move when we sit down on it!! Thanks so much!!!