A Weekend Spent Junking at Lucketts Spring Market

by Diane Henkler on 05/20/2013

Lucketts-Antiques

Now that it is May  – the “junking” season has begun. I had read a lot about Lucketts Antique Market in Virginia from reading the blog, Miss Mustard Seed and have always wanted to go. Ed was going away for the weekend, so I thought I would take the opportunity to get away from the computer and take a trip myself.  It was a 3 hour drive south into Maryland and then a few miles over the border into Virginia.  I left late Saturday afternoon, so I could meet up for dinner with a bunch of bloggers who were going to the Hometalk meetup on Sunday.

Hometalk-meetup-at-Lucketts-Antique-Market

HomeTalk.com had arranged a meetup all day on Sunday with Funky Junk Interiors and The Graphics Fairy. They had their space  set up for all to hang out.

Donna-of-Funky-Junk-Interiors-at-Lucketts-Fair

Donna of Funky Junk Interiors was there to answer questions, discuss all things junk, and do…

Sign-Making-Demo-at-Lucketts-with-Donna-of-Funky-Junk-Interiors

hands-on demonstrations while helping her many fans make signs and decorative stuff all made out of – junk!

Sign-Maker-Blogger

Each went away with their own creation following Donna’s tips and tricks – she had many!

Vendor-Tents

When I was not hanging out at the Hometalk area, I went out browsing. It was not the best day weather wise, misty in the morning, but luckily it never poured.  I leisurely strolled around the fair and found lots of inspiration.

Lucketts-Spring-Fair

Loved these chairs.

Painted-round-table

and this table  – does it look familiar?  It is almost exactly like mine. My base is still black and I have been on the fence about what color to paint it.  This is all the inspiration I need to get it done.   Will be posting about it soon.

Bloggers-at-Lucketts

All through the day, bloggers came and met up in front of the HomeTalk tent.   Miriam from HomeTalk, Breida, from Breida With a B, and Karen, from The Graphics Fairy are just a few of the bloggers that I met.

I didn’t get a photo of her, but one of the people I was most excited to meet was, Sharon from Elizabeth and Co.  Long story, but the first time I landed on her blog over a year ago, I saw that she lived in the Maryland town my husband grew up in.  (My husband has not been back since he graduated from high school.)  I asked her if she grew up there. She told me she didn’t, but her husband did. She told me his name and when I asked my husband if he knew him, he smiled big time and answered ,Yes as he looked at me in a questioning way.  Then I told him, “I just met his wife online, she is a DIY home blogger, too!”  They were best buddies with a third friend through childhood and into high school.  Small world and all made possible through blogging.

Junxtaposition-and-belmonili

These two creative gals were fun, fun, fun, but since they had their own space where they were selling their lines of jewelry they could not hang out at the hometalk tent.  Loved them.  Jeanne from junxtaposition and Lucy from bel monili.

Typewriter-Key-Jewelry

Jeanne -Junxtapostions makes typewriter key jewelry.

Junxtaposition-necklaces

Necklaces and Bracelets.  I bought a bracelet and a keychain.

Belmonili-3

Lucy -bel monili is all about taking vintage jewels and making them modern. So much delicious eye candy.

Chartreuse-Cabinet

I had no plans to buy anything big, but if I did, I would have loved to take this home with me.

Chippy-Painted-Finishes

I like to study painted finishes to see how colors are combined, layered, distressed, etc. and now have a few new images to add to my painted finishes “reference file”.

Hauling-furniture

Lucketts is the name of the antique store and seasonal market that are held, but also the name of the town. The local Lucketts community fireman (in pink t-shirts) were on hand all day to help buyers carry their purchases to their cars.

antique-glass-pitcher

How sweet is this pitcher and glass set?    It has SUMMER written all over it!  I can picture it in a County Living photo spread – each glass filled with freshly squeezed lemonade.

Antlers-for-Sale

I am not a fan of decorating with antlers, but there were plenty.

Boxwood-in-slate-planter

Classic planters – slate and zinc.

Metal-letters

Colorful distressed and mottled letters to hang on a wall or place on a shelf.

Miss-Mustard-Seed-and-Hometalk-at-Lucketts-Fair

Marian, Miss Mustard Seed’s tent was right next to HomeTalk. She was very busy and sold most of the furniture and items she brought to sell.

Miss-Mustard-Seed-and-Her-mom

Marian and her mom.

Miss-Mustard-Seeds-Shop-at-Lucketts

What you can’t experience only seeing these photos, was the beautiful scent of  lavender that filled the air around her space. I had to buy some to bring home with me.

Miss-Mustard-Seeds-Booth-at-Lucketts

The merchandise in her tent was styled just like her home -beautiful.

Blogger-at-Work

One of the benefits of being a blogger – your office is anywhere there is an internet connection.  Karen, The Graphics Fairy.

Food-Vendors-at-Lucketts

When lunchtime came, it was hard trying to decide what to eat.  It all looked and smelled delish.  I went for a Crabcake sandwich.

Picnic-Area-at-Lucketts

Even the picnic area was filled with old stuff.

The-Design-House-at-Lucketts

After grabbing a bite to eat, I went into the Design House. It is like a decorators show house that is only open at certain times of the year. It was open for this event and I was told by everyone, I had to go see it.  It was crowded, but I did get a glimpse into some of the rooms.

Rolling-French-doors-and-Roses

Even the exterior of Design House was a visual treat.

HomeTalk-Meetup-ToteBag

It was getting late and I wanted to get home before dark, so I left around 3:30.  Everyone who came received a hometalk tote bag.  I bought a few little things –  4 glass door knobs, a key chain and typewriter key bracelet that says “Junker” from Junxtaposition.

White-ceramics-and-dishes-in-cabinet

I also brought home a white pitcher and soup tureen to put in my newly stripped cabinet.  Both were end of the market deals!  Now I just have to get the inside of the cabinet painted where the stripper dripped.

white-distressed-furniture

I had a great time at Lucketts. The best part was meeting and getting to know so many others who are passionate about the same things. If you ever get the chance to go – I would highly recommend it.

Pin It

1 Sherry May 20, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks so much for the tour for those of us not lucky enough to attend.
Great Pix and comments. Thanks for sharing your great time there.
Regards,
Sherry

2 Miss Charming May 20, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Some day I plan to visit Lucketts, but in the mean time, thanks for such a detailed post. Loved looking at all the goodies and seeing a few familiar bloggers, too. (And I’m crushing on that bracelet you brought home!)

3 Pati May 21, 2013 at 1:06 am

Thanks for sharing! I am a designer who lives in Oregon, so it’s fun to see the places in the East that I read about. As for your hutch…I think you should distress the bead board backing MORE, not repaint it. It looks cool old and distressed. I love your blog, Diane, it’s the best. You are incredibly creative and your tutorials are excellent.

4 Diane Henkler May 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thanks Pati – I know what you mean that it is fun to see places that you read about that you know you can’t get to. I enjoy when I see photos of west coast events and shops online :) Another reader also wrote that she thought I should distress the cabinet more. I like just a little bit of distressing – not too much. I like the mix of old and new. I may end up distressing it a bit after painting, but with no orange stripper drips showing :)

5 Anne Boykin May 21, 2013 at 1:30 am

Hi Diane, Thanks for sharing Lucketts with us! I’m going next year, for sure. So glad you got to go and have such fun.

6 Susan Mathison May 21, 2013 at 3:29 am

What a great day! Junking and getting to meet up with some fellow bloggers sounds like so much fun. I am a huge fun of Miss Mustard Seed’s artful transformations, and I have used quite a few of The Graphic Fairy’s illustrations. Hoping to get a group together up here in the Boston area sometime in the future.

7 Yvonne @ StoneGable May 21, 2013 at 4:55 am

I adore Luckett’s! You are soooo lucky to have gone for their big spring weekend!!! What fun to put faces with familiar sites! Thanks for all of your great picture and narration of your day!!! LOVE the white soup tureen and pitcher. They look perfect in your cabinet! Thanks for taking me to Luckett’s in your post!

8 Deb Hrabik May 21, 2013 at 7:58 am

I’m so glad you shared the day with us!!
Would have loved it too,
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

9 Christy Keyton May 21, 2013 at 8:43 am

I have a son moving to Virginia this year, so I am hopeful I can use the excuse that I need to visit him next year and go to Luckett’s!

10 Lynne May 21, 2013 at 8:45 am

I think this is a trip I need to make . . . I will need a truck to haul things back to Michigan . . .

Love your purchases of “whites!” I like how you redoing the piece holding the white pottery . . .

What fun it must have been . . . do you have the dates for next year?

11 Diane Henkler May 22, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Hi Lynne – I don’t know the dates, but if you go to their site, they may post it soon. http://www.luckettstore.com/

12 Holly May 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

LOve, Love, Love this place!!!! Have been there numerous times when I lived in the Fairfax area. Usually stoppped in as I was headed to or returning from a canoe trip. Never left without a treasure! Glad you enjoyed it. I have a brother who lives in Sterling,VA and I still get to visit when I am there to see family!!!

13 Terry May 21, 2013 at 9:57 am

I don’t get jealous, but I am now because this is something that I have always wanted to do. Thanks for taking me with you…it looked so inspiring!

14 cindy the cottage chick May 21, 2013 at 10:39 am

I’m having so much fun reading everyone’s trip reports about Lucketts. I hope to get there sometime myself. Love the stuff you bought!

15 breida @ breidawithab.com May 21, 2013 at 10:44 am

Hi there, Diane!
I am SO glad I got the chance to meet you! It just continues to amaze me what wonderful and creative women (and a couple of guys!) I keep meeting along this blogging journey! Can’t wait to see you again in Atlanta!
-b.

16 Funky Junk Interiors May 21, 2013 at 10:58 am

Wonderful recap Diane!

17 Funky Junk Interiors May 21, 2013 at 10:59 am

Oops… wasn’t finished! :) It was such a fast paced, fun event. Soooo glad I got a chance to hang out with you for a spell!

18 Diane Henkler May 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Hi Donna – The day went by way too fast – wish we could have had a bit more time to hang out together. The day was a great success – it was fun to see you work your magic with a bunch of junk :)

19 Leena Lanteigne May 21, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hi Diane! Wasn’t Lucketts the best? I wrote in my blog that I’d seen you at the Hometalk tent from afar but by the time I got over there, you had moved on.Sorry I missed you! I was hoping to meet a lot of the bloggers there but didn’t get to. Next year, I think I’ll go for both days as I’m local. It has grown so much over the last few years that a few hours just doesn’t work – too much glorious junk to see! Glad you had s uch a good time! Hugs, Leena

20 Diane Henkler May 22, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Hi Leena – Sad I missed you. I hung out a little bit each hour at the tent, but then left to go strolling around. Like you said – there was so much to see, I didn’t want to miss any of it :)

21 Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. May 21, 2013 at 2:03 pm

It really was fun! And I’m just so glad we finally met! But how did we miss getting a picture together to show our guys? But guess what, I’m in one of your pictures (just barely). That’s me with my friend Renae talking to Marian – how funny is that. You and I didn’t actually meet until later in the day! Hope you can make again next year! Until then, we’ll just hang out together in the blog world!

22 Sheryll & Critters. May 21, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Oh what fun. I wish I could have gone, but too far away for me.

I love the soup tureen & want one like it. I also need some huge soup bowls for dinner soup, not the side dish size. I also like that bowl the antlers were sitting in.

23 Debbie @ Deliciously Inspired May 22, 2013 at 1:04 am

WOW – How fun was that. I almost felt like I was walking down the aisles with you. Can’t wait to see your table when you are finished. Really like the white pitcher you bought.

24 August May 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

Just wondering if you could tell me how much those letters were going for?

I’m trying to do an alphabet wall for our nursery, but we live in a small town and there’s never anything like that around us. The only options available are Michaels, AC Moore, and Hobby Lobby which keeps me pretty confined on mixing it up.

I’ve been debating on ordering from websites, but it’s so hard to know what’s a good price for something like that.

25 Diane Henkler May 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Hi August – I didn’t see a price on the letters, but overheard someone say they were around $80.

26 marie June 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

Sounds like a fun time! Great finds!