The Rain Made Me Do It

If you live in the Mid Atlantic states then I know you have been experiencing a lot of wet weather.   It has put a halt on a line up of projects I have been working on outside.

Outdoor Furniture

So much so that yesterday when the wind whipped up and it looked ominous outside at 9 AM, I decided to call it quits and take the day off -which I rarely ever do during the week.

Rainy Day

I sometimes consider a run to the craft store or taking a leisurely stroll through Target while I am out running errands during the week – time off,  but it is always with a purpose for a project I am working on, not a real day off.

When I realized that the rain was going to but a damper in my plans for the day,  I decided to not look at it as a negative thing – but a positive one.

Raining quote

Make It Perfect

Why get frustrated that the weather was holding up project completion when I could just sit back and enjoy what the day was offering me – a chance to take a personal day!     The rainy day feeling took over and I went with it.

Rainy_Days_by_doorstopPhotos

Photo: Source

I turned off my computer and got comfy on the couch and decided what I really needed was to read a good book – and not just any book – but fiction!      This was a huge treat for me.  I haven’t read fiction since I started blogging. I read books on a daily basis, but they are non-fiction – books on photography, computers, blogging, Photoshop, Google, social media, HTML and CSS.  I want to learn as much as I can and reading about what I need to know has given me the knowledge to run my blog, but put the time for fiction on the back-burner.

I had picked up a few books for Ed at our local Bookmoblie and decided to pick one from his stack to read. I went with Dan Brown’s Inferno. I liked all of his other books, so I dove right in.  It felt good to read a good piece of fiction that took me out of my life and into an adventure far, far way. I didn’t finish it yet, but plan to read the rest tonight.

I realize now how much I have missed reading a good novel and plan to do more of it over the summer.   If you have read any good books recently, I could use a few recommendations to make up my summer reading list.

Happy Friday! – Enjoy your weekend – I hope it is a beautiful one.

Comments

1. Nancy Carr says

I am glad you took a day to relax and do something different. By doing something different we can be recharged. I plan to follow your example and do something different tomorrow.

2. Molly K Barry says

Life after Life by Kate Atkinson is very intriguing…..I don’t care for all of her books but this one is new and deals with the same person and her life don over with different events or choices…..

A couple of years ago I read a book called Sarah’s Key. It was amazing and still haunts me today. I took a year off from reading and I think feel ready to dive into a good book again. I think that book will be The Paris Wife. I’ve had many people recommend it to me.

Diane, That’s so funny that you should decide to start reading a good non-fiction book. I too did the same exact thing yesterday and not because of the weather but because sometimes I feel like I am losing touch with the english language by serial watching mass episodes of programs from Netflix. I picked up Amy Tan’s book, “The Kitchen God’s Wife” and I love it! As I read her books I feel like I am hearing it in her accent. I also love a good detective book and Nelson DeMille writes my favorites. I started with Plum Island, set on the east coast. I love, love, love his sense of humor.

I don’t know what it is but I just love rainy weather. Like maybe it’s because barely anyone is outside?. Well, it gives us an excuse to stay inside too, that’s the better part of it.

6. Scotia says

First off, I love your site and follow you. You have given me so many tips! Second, here are two books you might like, both uplifting: Flannagan’s Run by Tom McNabb (lovely book about a historical footrace across America during the dark days of the depression in the 1930), if you like the Dan Brown novels, the Jack Whyte Templar Novels are a treat, or Jack Whyte’s The Skystone about the “singing sword” and the beginning of the Arthur legend in the context of the real time frame of the end of the Roman Empire of 400 AD – a lovely series.

7. Carolee Wolf says

Good Morning! I have a wonderful book series for you, The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.” A Discovery of Witches” is the first book and the second book is called “Shadow of Night” they are both out in paperback and the author is working on writing the third book right now. I don’t know exactly why I love them so much, but I do! They are a wonderful mix of a forbidden love story and historical fiction . I am embarrassed to admit that I have read them each 5 times. Give them a try and let me know what you think:)
    Carolee

8. Christy Keyton says

I read Beth Hoffman’s Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt for a summer read a couple of years ago and am reading her new novel right now. Her work is similar to The Secret Life of Bees- southern girlfriend stories that will make you laugh and cry! Love it for a quick read with great character development.

9. Shelley says

A fun book is The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux. It just takes you away on a summer day. I didn’t like the sequel though. Hope you get some fun reading this summer. LOVE your website!!!

10. Sheryll & Critters. says

Good for you Diane! I am happy you took a day off and had some ‘you’ time.

I am on the east coast, but an hour’s drive inland from any beach (less you speed like a demon), but I know I got at least 7 inches just in a few short hours late yesterday (rain gauge). I was only out buying a tiny bit of cheap pine 1 x 4′s and then on to the Dollar Tree (for some steel wool pads) and the Save A Lot (grocery store) next door. And this was good for me, cause I got something done (for a change.. grin).

I would share books, but I have not read fiction for so many years.. okay I just embarressed myself I believe. Have a great day & weekend!

11. Sharon says

Diane, glad you had a fun day of reading and goofing off. Sometimes you just need to slow down and relax and enjoy yourself to rejuvenate. If you love to laugh, try books by Sophie Kinsella – especially her Shopaholic books and Can You Keep a Secret? The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger is pretty funny too. Mary Kay Andrews has written some good books and her new book coming out soon is called Ladies Night and is about a “lifestyle blogger” so you might enjoy that one. Talk to the librarian in the Bookmobile and tell her your likes and she can probably recommend some good books too. Have fun picking some books out and reading them through the summer!

I highly recommend Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle. Funny and make-you-cry sweet. I am currently reading A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson. LOVE IT so far. Both are written by bloggers and are memoirs rather than fiction but very enjoyable.

To me, a day snuggled up on the sofa with a great book is as good as a trip to the spa! So glad you were able to make it a great day!

I picked up a Kristin Hannah novel a few years ago, and quickly became a fan. She writes beautiful tradgedy-turns-triumph novels. My favorite so far is Firefly Lane…but be careful, it’s a tear jerker! She just put out the “sequel” to it called, Fly Away, and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get it for my summer read this season!

14. Jess says

Oh man – that’s such a great book! I finished it this weekend & have since started it over :) It’s one of those books that I just HAD to read again right away – with the new perspective I gained from the first time through! It’s been just as much fund the second time through! Hope you continue to enjoy!

15. Patti says

A book I think is a must read for everyone is ‘Unbroken’ by Laura Hildebrand. It’s an amazing true story and an absolute page turner. I sat out on my deck one day hoping to get through a chapter or two and finished it.

Good for you, Diane! What a delightful way to recharge the batteries. I think all of us crafters are sometimes so busy “doing” we forget sometimes how to just “be”. It’s nice, isn’t it?

Hi Bettsi – Yes it is nice to just relax every now and then. You forget that you really need it when you are so busy trying to do everything. It sure does recharge the mental batteries.