Losing Pounds & Gaining Marbles + Free Printable

by Diane Henkler on 07/10/2013

I love blogging – it is the best job ever! Exactly what I should be doing.  I love everything about it, except one thing…

…blogging full-time means lots of sitting in front of a computer – less moving around = weight gain! …aka – blogger butt.    Uggghh!!!

Diane Henkler Blogger of InMyOwnStyle

When I worked at my job in retail display, I was moving non-stop for 7 hours a day running around the store, double timing up steps, climbing ladders, carrying mannequins and heavy stuff. I was in good shape. That was a year and a half ago.  Since then I have gained 15 pounds – for one reason only – I don’t move around as much as I previously did.

Have you ever heard the saying “ Move More, Eat Less”  that is what I have to concentrate on to lose the “blogger butt” and get me back in shape.

Biking-in-the-Lehigh-River-Gourge

I get out, move, and work up a sweat on the weekends, but during the week, I have to move more.

I need to park in the farthest parking spot when I go to the supermarket or mall, so I have to walk. Take the steps instead of elevators, even walking or riding my bike to nearby stores when I only need to get a few things and can carry them home.

I don’t like going to a gym – takes too much time to drive there, find a parking spot, then have to wait for a machine or struggle to find a spot in a crowded class.  I liked a spinning class I went to, but couldn’t stand the cave like feeling of the room –windowless black walls, disco ball light on high speed, and loud music at 7am.  It felt suffocating.  Great workout – awful atmosphere for me.   I need fresh air and lots of light, especially in the morning.

Make-your-own-Cell-phone-cover

Instead, I work out at home and I was good about it, but blogging keeps me busy and what I have been doing is checking my inbox before working out in the morning – big mistake.  I start answering reader questions and inquires and before  I know it it’s 11:00.  I told Ed if he sees me with my phone before I work out, he has to tell me to put it down.

I have to stick to a morning routine  – I even have it scheduled in my Planner Pad.   Up at 6:30 without even a glance at my cellphone or turning on my computer. Work out for an hour doing:

Pilates  – 2 days a week, brisk walking for an hour – 3 times a week.  In bad weather, I have a few DVD’s and workout space in my basement. (it has windows and is a bright space) Most of the DVD’s are step workouts,  I feel I get a great all around aerobic workout with them.

Weight-Loss-and-Diet-Tips-and-Tricks

The other part of my get back in shape equation is the “eat less” part.  That is where the marbles come into play.   I am well versed in healthy eating and know what I should and should not eat, but when I am on Pinterest and those delicious chocolate cakes go by in my stream, it is hard not to want to go bake a cake and eat it.

I picked up a Weight Watchers magazine last week that had a page of weight loss tips. One of the ideas really clicked with me since I am such a visual girl, plus it was so simple. I decided to do it.

Weight-loss-and-diet-tips

You simply count out marbles in the amount of pounds you want to lose and place them in a glass or jar marked “Pounds to Lose”.  In another jar – labeled “Pounds Lost”  is where you take a marble from “Pounds to Lose” and place it in “Pounds Lost” for every pound you lose.   It is a visual reminder to see your progress and that eating less and moving more is working.  I placed the glasses on the windowsill above my kitchen sink.

Weight-Watchers-Online-App

I also signed up for Weight Watchers Online.  Since I have my phone with me all the time, the 2 apps that come with the program are very handy and easy to use.

How-to Make The Motivation Jars

What you Will Need:

I was going to make vinyl labels using my Silhouette, but know that not everyone has one, so I made printables that anyone with a computer printer could print out.

Pounds Lost/To Lose Labels – download below
2 glass jars  – I bought mine at the Dollar Tree
Marbles – one for each pound you want to lose – Walmart in the Toy dept. $bins and Toys R Us
Self-Seal laminating sheets – Walmart or Staples
Spray glue or white glue
Scissors

1.  Click here to print: Pounds-Lost-LabelsPounds-Lost-Free Printable Labels

Scotch-Self-Seal Laminating-Sheets

2.  Cover the labels using a self-seal laminating sheet. This will allow the labels to be wiped clean, as they may be up for awhile.

How-to-use-self-seal laminating-sheets

3. Using the self-laminating sheets is easy.  Simply peel back the clear sheet, place your labels in face up, and then close to seal.

Weight-loss-tips

4. Cut out around the labels with a pair of sharp scissors.

5.  Spray a shot of spray glue or spread a thin layer of white glue on the back of each label. Apply to the glass jars.   Smooth with your fingers to make sure it is adhered.

6.  Place your marbles in.

Weight-Loss-Motivation-tips

I have lost 5 pounds so far.  My plan is working.

Do you have any tricks or tips like this that help you stay motivated when you want to get into shape?

Free-printable-labels-Pounds-Lost-Pounds-to-Lose

1 Allison July 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Such a great idea!
My best friend and I have started what I dubbed the BFFC (Best Friend Fitness Challenge). It’s just something to keep it interesting and help each other out with our weight loss. Each Sunday, we send a text to each other with some sort of fitness challenge for the week: do a certain youtube video 3x a week, do a plank each night before bed, etc. etc.
There are no punishments or rewards, just a fun way to keep it interesting for each other.

2 Christine Bright July 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I would totally do this right but I’m afraid I’d get the labels all messed up from the peanut M&M’s I’m currently eating.

3 Cindy G. July 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

What a neat little idea! And, I was going to get all fancy with labels made with my Silhouette, but realized that that would probably delay things, so I’m printing out your labels (thank you for sharing them) and using clear vinyl that I have on hand, and probably a couple of old jars. Now, I just need to see if I can find my container of large beads so I don’t have to run out and buy anything. And then, hope that the jars are big enough for the number of beads I need :)

4 Susan July 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Well first, thanks for the labels. The jars are a great idea! Secondly… I feel the pain, I mean the butt. I have gained 10 lbs and I just want it off. I am not an exerciser but I do walk quite briskly several times a week. Maybe the jars will be motivation!

5 Nana Diana July 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I absolutely LOVE that idea, Diane. I am visual, too, and I might copy this idea. Thanks!!!! xo Diana

6 Anita July 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Congrats Diane! You’re off to a great start! I know exactly what you mean. I fell into that same non moving around mode. I had enough. I haven’t blogged since January and made a few changes in my diet. Mostly eating less and moving more like you. I use the MyFitnessPal app and have dropped 22 pounds! I’d like to get back to blogging but I have to be careful not to back slide. Lost it a little at a time but that is fine with me. :)

7 Erica July 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Diane – this is a great idea! I could also see it coming in handy as a countdown (vacation, holiday, birthday) for children or a goal jar for saving up for a specific purchase.

8 Vikki July 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Great ideas Diane! You will have that 15lbs off in no time. Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck to you…Vikki in VA

9 Gloria July 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Don’t sit at your desk: STAND at your desk. At work we got these variable height desks that allow you to work standing up. It is not as hard as you think, and you burn a lot of calories (when you are sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time, your brain sends a signal to your muscles asking them to stop burning calories. Listen to this bit): http://www.npr.org/2012/05/09/152336802/stand-up-walk-around-even-just-for-20-minutes

10 Maureen July 11, 2013 at 7:33 am

I agree about standing instead of sitting. But my employer (a university) wasn’t going to fork over cash for a fancy desk, so I had to get creative. I went into our storage area and found 3 empty envelope boxes, which are pretty sturdy. I put two of them under my keyboard (because it’s one of the big, ergonomic ones) and one under my mouse. And I adjusted my two monitors (see what a geek I am) higher, and then I just stood up. That was it! After initally forcing myself to stand all day, I realized that was way too much. So now I alternate standing and sitting. I stack the 3 boxes next to my desk area. When I want to stand, I slide them under my keyboard and mouse, and tilt my monitors up. When I want to sit, I remove the boxes and tilt my monitor down. The whole thing takes less than a minute. It’s not a particularly *pretty* setup, but hey, neither is my computer butt. And this is free, adaptable and requires no long-term committment. Give it a try. Thanks for another great post! Best wishes on your weight loss.

11 Barbara @ DIY Home Staging Tips July 11, 2013 at 11:49 am

I like this approach. I had heard about walking while working, but you’ve made it do-able! Thanks.

12 Maureen July 11, 2013 at 7:36 am

PS I have been meaning to write about this on my own blog, but haven’t done it yet. If you’re interested in a photo let me know and I could email that to you. But you probably get the idea.

13 elaine July 11, 2013 at 7:40 am

Always love your ideas……this one is perfect for me…just started my Atkins program yesterday……great visual help…THANKS!!!!!

14 ashley @ the handmade home July 11, 2013 at 8:25 am

Awe good for you Diane! This is such a great idea. I may be adapting it for my kids with things to do around the house! ;} You’re beautiful as always!

15 Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl July 11, 2013 at 9:06 am

Diane, this post really hit home for me. I hate the gym too and love being outdoors. I think the marble jar is an awesome idea, I’m off to find some jars and marbles ;-D. Can’t wait to see you soon.

16 Debbie July 11, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Love this visual idea! Thanks for sharing and stay strong!

17 Shelby July 14, 2013 at 2:43 am

This is such a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing ( and for the labels, too!)

18 Ruth July 16, 2013 at 3:08 am

That is a great idea.

19 Denise July 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Good luck with Weight Watchers Diane! I’m currently a member and I’ve lost 12 lbs so far. I slacked off for a few months but now I’m back on track. Dieting is so not fun but the results are worth the effort. I hit up the Salvation Army over the weekend when they were having a half off sale. I pulled two pairs of jeans off the rack in a size I thought I would never fit into. I took them home, washed them and they FIT! Yeah!

20 Deenna July 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thank you for sharing something personal…weight gain!
I love your visual idea and think working out is a personal preference. I too, struggle with sticking to my schedule with exercise in the morning. I am going to apply your tips and see if I can develop a new habit of exercising first thing in the morning.
Your creativity is absolutely stunning and your blogging is inspirational.
Cheering you on,
Deenna

21 Jessica July 28, 2013 at 10:40 pm

This is SO clever! And I’m guessing it’s quite motivating. Thanks for sharing.

22 Coach Estelle September 6, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Thanks Diane – what a great idea! I’ve set my jars up and used the Martha Stewart dry erase labels so I can change the number as I lose!!! I just started back to weight watchers – it’s a great program and I don’t have to feel deprived. BTW just ordered my planner pad and will be keeping track of things in it also.

23 Diane Henkler September 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hi Estelle – What a great idea!! I love it – being able to change the number as you lose! :) I may have to tweak mine. I have lots of chalkboard paint.

24 Linda Weeks April 10, 2014 at 10:05 am

your blog is the most useful of all possible blogs. I would rather read one of your posts than all of the others. You and I are tight.