So Long…Farewell…

by Diane Henkler on 07/26/2013

…to the window treatment in my kitchen.  Not my blog – gotcha didn’t I?  The window treatment has served me well, but now it is time for it to go to the window treatment retirement home…aka…the thrift store shelf.

Kitchen-Window-Treatment

It has accented my kitchen window for a long time, I was proud of it because I actually sewed it on a sewing machine with a real pattern and a hard M’Fay pattern at that.  I added my own style to it by adding the bead trim.  I was a happy DIYer even with its uneven pleats and crooked stitching.

kitchen window treatment

Goodbye old friend, dust and all.  It is time to make someone else happy now.

Bare-Kitchen-Window-Treatment

I am liking a clean-lined, more open look.  My kitchen window is getting a new coat of paint and there are some other little tweaks going on around my kitchen that I am still working on and waiting for parts to come. I will show you soon.

Painting-tools

But for now -It is Friday, both my girls are coming home for the weekend, one drove in last night. The other coming in later this afternoon.  It will be nice having them home at the same time.  We are having lunch today with my 87 year old dad and my youngest is hosting a party tomorrow.

Time to put my paint brushes down to enjoy the weekend with family and friends. They are used to seeing paint cans piled around my house…so I am not worried about anyone seeing them laying around, it is part of the décor.   But…I think I better clean my kitchen floor before the party. I have been letting it go, thinking I was going to sand it this week and it would not matter how dirty it was for that.  Going to grab the broom and the Bona Mop now.  Once I am done cleaning the floor…time for weekend fun.

Happy Weekend!

1 Mary Alice July 26, 2013 at 10:12 am

For one minute, I was very worried that you were ending your blog. So glad that is not the case!

2 Vikki July 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Enjoy your weekend with the family! I am anxiously awaiting what the next project will be. Your blog is so inspiring Diane. Vikki in VA

3 Nana Diana July 26, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Enjoy your weekend with your family. I am doing the same thing myself! xo Diana

4 Lynne July 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I like the “open” feel of the window over your sink . . . Probably because I prefer windows free of the “curtain look!” Very pretty window treatment you created though.

I always look forward to each new surprise you have up your sleeve, hurry, I can’t wait. . .

5 Jann Newton July 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I’m impressed that you tackled that M’Fay pattern! Good for you, it is one of her harder ones. Can’t wait to see the new look!

6 Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books July 26, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Enjoy the time with your family! =)

7 Stephanie Hobson July 27, 2013 at 12:21 am

Gotcha is right! That’s exactly what I thought when I saw the title of this post, followed by “OH NOOO”. Good one Diane!

8 Carolee Wolf July 27, 2013 at 8:56 am

Have a joyous and relaxing weekend:)

9 Debbie C in MN July 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

How is the paint on your cabinets holding up? I am still in the thinking stage about painting mine.

10 Diane Henkler July 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hi Debbie – It has been over 12 years since I painted my cabinets and they have held up great. The cabinet under the sink, I have had to touch up since it gets wet and is where the trash can is. The rest – look as nice as the day I painted them. I would do it again in a heartbeat. In the next few weeks I am going to add a white wash over them. They are antique white now and I would like to update them to be a bit whiter without having to do any major painting overall on them. Some new knobs and pulls too! Go for it, but make sure to sand and prime with Gripping primer to provide excellent paint adhesion.

11 Sheryll & Critters. July 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

Yes you got me! I was about to have a very bad morning! (I’m way behind on reading emails, blogs, you name it.) But I too have actually been working on changing/updating/fixing stuff, but mine is a long battle before I rest (you name it, I need to fix or replace it).

Have a wonderful weekend with both your girls home.

12 Lorna July 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You almost gave me a heart attack! I always look forward to your blog like a old friend. You can’t leave us now! LOL. Enjoy your weekend with your family!

13 Karin Ikesaki August 2, 2013 at 1:40 am

Whew…. You scared me for a sec! I really love your blog and all of your projects and ideas that are truly YOURS! I always look for your new posts in my blog reader first!