Catching Up

The Spring of 2014 is coming to a close. It has been a crazy busy one for me – all good – very exciting actually, but has me re-evaluating my time management.

With Summer officially starting this Saturday I have been setting up a summer calendar for everything I need to get done in a day. I am making sure I put in an hour or two of “down” time each day so I can sit back and enjoy all the season has to offer instead of working 24/7.   That is what Summer is all about, so I am going to comply.

While I get back on track this week after traveling 3 times in as many weeks, I want to share  a few things with you.

Do you know Jenna from SAS Interiors?  She is one of my blogging buddies. We found each other’s blogs early on in our blogging life and became fast friends.  She is expecting her 3rd child – a girl any day now.  She prepared ahead and is running a series entitled, Creating a Beautiful Home on her blog this summer so she can take the time to enjoy her newest bundle of joy.  Each week a few bloggers will be guest posting for her.  Today my post is up in her blog.  You can find it, here.   Tell her hi and that Di sent ya.

Creating a Meaningful Home

Back in April I won the BHG Makeover Madness Challenge.  I wrote about it and my trip to BHG headquarters in Des Moines.

Better Homes and Gardens Magazine July 2014

One of the perks of winning was that the winner would be featured in the pages of Better Homes & Gardens Magazine.

BHG July 2014 Diane Henkler In My Own Style blog

I didn’t know when, only that it would be in a Summer issue of the mag.   I found out from Debbie who blogs at ReFresh ReStyle. She saw it in her digital edition of the magazine and posted it on her Facebook page.

BHG-Magazine-July-2014

I subscribe to the magazine, but it had not yet arrived in my mailbox, so I went searching for it at all the supermarkets, bookstores, and drug stores until I found the July issue.  I now know that CVS gets the latest magazines before any other store in my area.  :-)   Winning was pretty exciting, but seeing my photo in the magazine is one of those special moments in life.

The next time you visit me here, things may look a little different.  After blogging for 4.5 years, it was time to update the back end of things on the blog.  I have done many design tweaks over the years, but never a full scale update on the back end.

Many things have been going wonky and I found out that one reason was that the “theme” I use is probably to blame.  A feud between WordPress (the blogging platform I use and the developer of the theme I use has caused a few features I use to not work or they have completed disappeared.  Urgggggh!

I am excited for the new layout, design, and theme.  It is simple and clean and will allow me to make the photos I share with you in each post much larger and the focus of the pages.

Now I am off to finish up my summer calendar and working on two big projects that I will be sharing with you this summer.   I told you a few weeks ago that I was going to be transforming one of my daughters unused bedrooms into an office for Ed. He nixed that idea since he likes working in the dining room so he is where all the action is.

I have come up with an even better idea on how I am going to transform the room that has me more excited then any other project I have done in my home – it is going to be life changing for me!

It will of course all be done on a super tight budget.  Instead of doing one reveal post at the end of  the summer, I am going to show you the process and projects as I complete them.   I have it all visualized in my head  – time to put the plan into the room so I can begin to use it.

Back to planning my summer schedule now and purging the contents of the unused bedroom.  XO

BHG July 2014 Issue Diane Henkler In My Own Style Blog

Comments

1. Sharon H says

How exciting for you!! And exciting for all of us who voted for you, too.
    I can hardly wait for the new summer projects!

2. Beth says

I also subscribe to BH&G via mail and digitally and I just received my JUNE paper issue! I scrambled to my tablet to see the digital copy of the JULY issue! What a thrill this must be for you…you soooo deserve it…Congratulations! I can’t wait to enter the sweepstakes! I’ve learned so much from you. I’ve painted and refinished several items in my “Beach-themed, Mom-cave” this Spring. You have inspired and motivated me to get in touch with my creative side. Blessings to you and Ed for a fantastic summer!

3. debbie says

Congrats for Makeover Madness Challenge winner. I also subscribe but have not received my in the mail yet. I will be sure to check it out. Wow, you are now a celebrity – how about that?

4. Brenda says

When I saw the entry in BH&G, I felt like one of my Best friends was on the page. I truly look forward to all your posts and great advice!

5. Lizzy says

Suo delighted you won! You rock. Thanks for all the sharing you do and the inspiration you provide. Yes, please enjoy this summer, after the winter we all endured – summer is especially welcomed this year.

6. Vikki says

So glad you won that challenge and are now in “print.” I’m excited to see the new blog layout and follow you as you re-do that unused bedroom. I’m off to see your offer at SAS Interiors. Vikki in VA

7. Judy H. says

Huge Congrats on your win in the Makeover Madness Challenge!! I’m so happy for you! Loved your post over at SAS interiors today. You have collected some lovely things and finished them all with your unique, creative style. Thanks for introducing me to Jenna. I think I found another great blog to follow!

8. Beth says

Oh my goodness! I refreshed your page and I love the new “layout”…it’s so CRISP & CLEAN! It was great before, but even better now!

Hi Beth – Thanks :-) There is still some details to fix and straighten and resize, but I wanted the design to be open and easy to read. I can now make my photos much bigger which I think will help readers see the details in steps in tutorial posts.

Thanks Diane for a beautiful guest post! And of course, BIG congrats on the BHG feature. I haven’t received my monthly copy yet, but I can’t wait to see you in print. So exciting. You continue to amaze me with your talents. xo Jenna

How exciting to see yourself in BHG!!! Looks great! I’m looking forward to seeing all the new changes on the blog, Diane, but I’m glad you’re taking care of yourself too.

Lovely! What a wonderful accomplishment to you and your blog.

I just starting doing a “makeover” on my new home up north where my husband and I are relocating next weekend. The house is only 4 years old but, needed flooring, paint and lots of cleaning (we took care of that all last week). And, it needs my creative touch. So, I will be adding my magic to our new home (and large yard) one room at a time. I see it completed in a few years, I hope.
    I’m starting with the kitchen and transforming it in to a bistro-style eatery (I love earthy/European colors) plus, turning a spare bedroom into my art studio/office. I’ll be blogging about the entire process.

I can’t wait to see what you’re doing with the unused bedroom. Best Wishes…

12. Jill says

So excited to see you in BH&G! It was a wonderful competition and you created a beautiful functional piece.

I can hardly wait to see your next big idea. As a reader, I truly appreciate your “during” pictures with the excellent descriptions of the thought process that makes it happen. You make it so much more possible for the rest of us by not using the magic wand approach to decorating. A little pondering and elbow grease is far more exciting than “Poof! It’s done!”

Good luck!