To: Diane… From: Dad

To help celebrate Father’s Day this weekend, I have a “reverse” Father’s Day gift to share with you, a gift that was from my dad to me.

My dad passed away last December. He was 87. This is the first Father’s Day that he won’t be around and I didn’t need to find him a gift, or take him his favorite sticky buns.  But I just received a gift from him.

My dad was a DIYer and loved woodworking.  His dream was to build a boat, he built many models of sailboats and lots of other items that my mom, or one of my siblings or I asked him to make. He always got right to work to make whatever we requested. The finished product was always perfect in every way.

When I asked him if he would make a pencil organizer based on plans I found in an art magazine, he happily took the plans and made it for me.  It was a Lazy Susan with hinged blocks of wood placed on top with holes drilled to hold the pencils. It was the best pencil organizer, EVER!

How to organize colored pencils in a studio

When I started to blog, I did less and less illustrating and the pencil organizer was not necessary for me to keep in my studioffice anymore, so I put it into storage in my basement.

Last week, I began purging and cleaning out the basement, getting rid of everything we no longer needed.

When I found the Lazy Susan base of the pencil organizer, it made me smile and I gave it a hug, fondly remembering my dad making it special just for me.

I got a little teary eyed and when I turned it over and saw what he did… I had forgotten...I really cried when I read what he stamped to the underside. Happy tears remembering my dad and all the things he did for me.

Lazy Susan made by my dad

I knew I had to find a spot to use and see it every day.  It won’t bring him back, but having something he made just for me fills my home with love and meaning.

Lazy susan

I put it on the center of the kitchen table that I stripped last summer – I loved it, but not the color of the polyurethane finish.  It was too yellow and didn’t look like an integral part of the table.

Lazy Susan-

So I stripped it to the bare wood…

How-to-whitewash-wood

…and added liming wax so it matched the table. I applied it with a rag and then wiped it off so it would leave a slight white cast to the wood.

How-to-decorate-with-things-you-already-own

Perfect…just like everything my dad ever made.

Fathers-Day-tablesetting

My dad’s gift to me…the second time around…one that I will cherish forever.

To all the Dads, Daddios, Pops, and Fathers in your life….wishing them a…Happy-Father's-Day

Comments

1. Vikki says

Dear Diane,
    I remember when you posted about your dad passing away. How touching that you happened upon this piece he made for you now as we celebrate another Father’s Day. Thank you for sharing how special your father was to you and reminding us how special our fathers were or are to those of us who enjoy your blog. Vikki in VA

2. Denise says

What a lovely story Diane….your Pops was a gem!

Your Dad gave you many things but the best thing he gave you was love…a love that you return to your own family by making a beautiful home for them and through the loving things you do for your hubby and daughters. You have been very blessed Diane. Love makes the world go ’round!

3. Deborah says

Thank you, for sharing this. The love you still have for your dad leaps of the screen. So precious.

4. Sandi P says

I had to stop to wipe my eyes before I could read the comments. Having something like that and the way you repurposed it is inspiring. My Dad’s best gift to me was when I was 16. We were having hard times and my Dad started rolling his own cigarettes rather than buying them. While he was at work one day, I rolled a cigarette from his supplies and proudly showed it to him when he got home. He said it was a good job, but then said he wasn’t going to use it, so I said ‘Then I will’, and pulled out a match to light it. My Dad grabbed the cigarette, the matches, the papers, and his tin of Prince Albert tobacco and tossed all of it into the trash. That very moment he quit smoking cold turkey. After that, how could I ever start smoking?

• Donna R. says

Diane, such a sweet tribute to make everyday use of a special gift. My brother just posted a pic of my dad (passed in March of 2001) and it made me feel so happy that you used a part of him in your home. Long distance hugs from me and my family…

5. Linda says

Oh my – the love-drops are still rolling off my cheeks… I am such a sentimental girl as well as a “Daddy’s Girl” – he’s turned 84 today and I’ll soon be 59 – I so appreciate him and all the time I get to spend with him. Things are a-changing tho’ – he and Mom don’t come into town much anymore and I don’t drive so my sweet husband generously takes us out to visit whenever possible. My Dad took up cross-stitching (imagine that!) when he retired 29 years ago and has made magnificent ‘artwork’ for everyone in our family, all appropriately ‘signed’… from Poppa to his grandkids, from Daddy to me, Dad to my brother and Bud to Mom… He’s a precious man and I love him so very much.
    As mentioned, today is his b’day and with Father’s Day tomorrow, we call this the ‘pair of socks’ weekend – he gets one sock today, the other tomorrow, each with gift cards inside! And, of course, he always gets a kick out of our ‘ingenuity’ – every time! Linda <]=/=/=[

6. Sheryll & Critters. says

Beautiful remembrance. I cried too… my daddy is gone also and I miss him every single day. There is no one or anything that compares to a loving dad.

7. Pat says

My dear dad loved to do woodworking also. He made me so many beautiful items; shelves, a framed mirror and bench which sits in our entry, cabinets, an ironing board, the list goes on and on. He even made toys for our son when he was little. There isn’t a room in our home that doesn’t have something in it he made. They are all treasures and remind me of him. ((HUGS))

Hi Pat – Having the pieces your dad made all around you truly must make your house feel special. They are the best treasures to have and enjoy everyday. They are like getting a big hug from him, every time you walk by or use one. XO