I’ve been writing this blog of mine for 7 years now and while things have changed and grown in ways I never could have imagined when I first started out, my favorite part will always be connecting with you as if we were we’re sitting across from each other for coffee. I know when you leave comments, you feel like that, too. This is the best part of blogging for me.
I know that you know what I can design, decorate and create, and I am doing a lot of that behind the scenes right now. Unfortunately, I don’t have a completed project to show you yet. So in the meantime, I thought I would share a few things you may not know about me and would if you were my best bud sitting across a table having coffee or tea (hot tea for me please) and chatting like girlfriends do.
So here is a short list of things you would know about me if you knew me in “real live person” and not only through a computer screen. :-)
- I bite my nails. Not in a horrible kind of way, but when I get stressed or am thinking hard about something, I may start to nibble one.
- I wear black leggings pretty much everyday. I even have a few pairs that I have labeled my “painting leggings” that I am OK with getting paint on.
- If I didn’t color my hair, my hair would be pretty much all white. My hair turned grey in my early 40’s and I rocked it for a while by getting a chic cut, but about 5 years ago, my twin sister and I who is on the same genetic time clock as me found our hair was getting more white and we didn’t like it anymore, so we decided to color it. She did it first when she was on a business trip in Las Vegas. When she came home, I loved how she looked and went out the next day to get mine colored too. It is a pain to upkeep. I do it myself at home, but every few months I splurge and have it done at the salon.
- I never pull into a parking spot when I am out and about shopping or running errands. I always look for a spot where I can pull through the spots so my car faces out. Sometimes I have to park pretty far out in a lot to do this. I look at it as a way to get some exercise in my day, but really do it because I dislike backing up. I am always afraid I will hit something.
- I drive a silver Mini Cooper that I named Genevieve. It is my mom’s name. I remember a TV show growing up that starred Jerry Van Dyke called, My Mother the Car. His late mother would talk to him through the car’s radio. My car doesn’t do that :-) but I know my mom would be smiling that I named my cute little car after her with this story line in mind.
- I don’t mind elevator music. I actually kinda like it and most easy listening styles of music. My family has gotten used to coming home to find that I have the easy listening music station on the TV. I think it takes me back to a simpler time when I was a child. My mom always had it playing on the radio when I was growing up, so to me it brings happiness and contentment.
- Speaking about elevators, I don’t like them or any closed-in space since I am very claustrophobic. I avoid them at all costs and always search for the building’s staircase. I will never ever get in one alone. I would rather walk up the staircase to get to my destination. If it is on a very high floor in a very tall building, then I will wait for someone else going up, get in with them, and try to stay calm.
- I wear a size 10 shoe. I used to be a 9 until I had my first daughter, Kelly, then I went to a size 9 1/2. After the birth of my second daughter, Mandy, my foot size went up another half size to a 10 and that is where they have been for the last 26 years. I mostly wear flats, but do have two pairs of wedges and one pair of black heels for when I need to get dressed up. In the summer I live in flip flops.
- I don’t wear a lot of jewelry. I used to make beaded necklaces and bracelets and enjoyed wearing them, but over the years I have pared back to my basics. I have worn the same few pairs of earrings for the past 30 years. Fake diamond studs and lever backs and a pair of drop pearls. I prefer silver jewelry over gold.
- I like cross-body handbags that allow me to keep my hands free. If I have to carry more than my handbag holds, I use a straw tote.
- I am trying to pare back my wardrobe into a Capsule style wardrobe where you only have a few mix-and-match pieces that you wear everyday in different ways. By creating a capsule wardrobe you’re taking steps towards reducing stress and living with intention. I find it is perfect for me since I always choose the items from my closet that make me feel good. The rest was fun to buy, but sits in my closet unworn. I will update you on my progress with this as it is still new to me, but I am going to try to make it happen as I clean and organize my first very own clothes closet. Up until we bought our new house on Lake Murray, I have always shared a closet with a sister or Ed.
So that’s a little bit about me. How about you? If we were chatting over coffee or tea at a cute little cafe in town, what would I know about you?
Happy Weekend! XO