With each pass of the roller and swipe of my paint brush I am making my way around the kitchen. Going back to standard time has slowed me down since it gets dark around 5 o’clock now. I like to paint in daylight, using electrical lights casts too many shadows and I miss spots. It is also getting colder outside. I was painting in the garage, but the temps have to be above 50 to paint, so I brought my painting set-up inside.
See that bottle of wine on the counter? At the end of the day of painting… I flop down on the sofa and chill.
We plan to remove the wood valance over the sink and replace the light fixture behind it, but the start-up company that Ed is working with is starting to take off. I don’t think he is going to have the time to help me do it in the next few weeks, so as I was painting, I just painted it so it would at least look OK for the time being.
I thought I would share what I used to update the cabinet hardware to bring the cabinets into the the present. Here is a close-up shot of one of the drawers. As you can see… they are lovely :-)
The cabinets were custom made using high quality plywood and are sturdy and well-made, but have not been updated since the 1970’s. The house was a second home for the previous owners. When they came to the house, they came to enjoy the lake, not to work.
Back in the 1970’s, big ornate center door pulls with back plates were the rage. I removed the backplates when we first moved into the house and just kept the pulls on the drawers. I filled the holes with wood filler, then sanded smooth before painting.
I find it interesting that the builder of these cabinets stained the cabinets after they put the pulls on.
The previous drawer pull holes are spaced 3-inches apart. They are pretty color, but to my eye look wimpy.
I wanted to beef the look up without having to drill new holes to fit a longer pull. After an extensive search, I found these Chrome Bar Pulls at D. Lawless Hardware. I found all the cabinet hardware there. They had everything I needed, plus they offer a price match so you know you are getting the best price.
Hello 2016! The cabinets are not perfect but they look 150% better.
I am in the process of writing up the post on the cabinet painting method I used and will get it posted soon.
For the cabinet doors, I like to mix up the hardware and used glass knobs with a chrome accent.
I love the look of glass knobs. They add a touch of vintage… and a little bling.
I love the star/snowflake design inside the glass you see when you look at them straight on. They are from D. Lawless Hardware, too. They are called, Octagon Cut Glass Knobs in the color Clear.
I wanted white cabinet door hinges and didn’t want to paint the original antique brass hinges since they were rusty and crusty, plus painted hinges always get chippy since there are moving parts.
TIP: When I remove cabinet or furniture doors, I always mark where the door and where each hinge was placed. This makes putting them back up easy. If you mix them up, the doors may not hang correctly.
I knew I would have to get the exact hinge or the doors would not go back on correctly.
With some trial and error and the help of Dave at D. Lawless Hardware, I found the right ones. So many looked like exact matches when I held them up to each other, but I found I needed to use these Amerock hinges. They fit perfectly and have a little chrome accent at the top and bottom that accents the chrome drawer pulls.
One side of the kitchen is almost complete. I was waiting for the backsplash tile to be cut for around the outlets, they are now cut. Now I need my handy electrician, Ed to move the outlets out 1/4″ so they are in line with the tiles. Once that is done, I am going to use white grout on the subway tiles.
I am painting the oven doors, too. You can’t really see the difference in this photo, but the top oven is painted. The previous owner of the house had them painted an off-white. They were originally avocado green. I used high temp car engine paint.
More on this soon and of course all the details of how I am getting this kitchen makeover completed. That’s it for now.