I am back after taking some time off over the holidays to get myself settled into our new home and enjoy the holidays with my daughters and Ed’s best buddy, Joe, who is like family to us.
I hope you had a wonderful and relaxing holiday and are now ready to embrace the new year, too. I am excited and soooo ready especially after months of focusing on all it took to move to a new home and then getting Shingles. :-( I am feeling better with only a little nerve wonkiness going on in my right arm and hand. It is getting better with each passing day. :-)
Before I share my first DIY project of 2016, I wanted to tell you that I have not forgotten about writing the specifics of what we did to get from living in Pennsylvania to living our dream of living on a lake and finding it in South Carolina. I had so much planned to share with you in December – so many of you have asked for the details of staging, moving etc, but when I got Shingles a few days before we moved into the new house, those post plans had to be postponed. Over the next few weeks I will share what we did in a series of 3 posts.
Starting today, I am now looking forward to making the new-to-me lake house a home one project at a time.
This is the photo I shared with you of the living room in my new house. I like the room, but not the brown wood shelves across the brick fireplace wall. Not only is brown not my favorite color, but the shelves have no impact. Even if they were filled with books, they would only add a cluttered look. I want this house to have an open, easy, breezy feel.
I want to create a mantel around the fireplace that will add architectural interest to the wall.
I thought about using the mantel handed down to us from Ed’s parents that we had in our previous dining room, but the opening for the firebox was way too small for the size of the new fireplace. I ended up placing this mantel in our bedroom. Will show you that soon.
Photo and mantel by: Jenny Axelsson Vogt
I found this fireplace makeover on Pinterest. It is a beauty and is my inspiration. I would paint the brick white on either side once the new mantel was created or cover it with bead board or planking. I may even use AirStone to cover the brick like I did in my previous house.
To get things moving in the right direction, the shelves had to be removed. Ed took on the task.
The shelves were bolted to the side walls. You can see where they were by the unpainted section on the wall. The shelves were made using very thick and the heaviest wood we have ever handled. They may not have had impact, but they were well-made and sturdy!!!
I knew I would like seeing the wall plain but I was not expecting the room to feel bigger with their removal. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did. I think we will be covering the space for the wood or at least making some kind of door to close it off. Still thinking on that.
The brick hearth runs along the entire wall. Eventually we may want to remove it on the left and right sides of the fire box opening, just leaving it intact in front of the fire box only. This will add more square footage to the room, but would be a major demolition project. We need to live in the house longer to better see what it is going to need and this may not be something that bothers us once a mantel is in place. Only time will tell.
I will be back tomorrow with a big project to which I think many of you will relate. See you then. XO