Long before Annie Sloan Chalk Paint came on the decorating scene as well as DIY versions of it, I used to age furniture with any brand of latex paint I had on hand and some glazing liquid.
It was quite easy and I still think the method is a perfect option for anyone who doesn’t want the expense of buying Chalk Paint or the time to make their own DIY version of it.
I painted the pale green pieces in my bedroom using the technique. All you need is latex paint mixed with glaze, a stiff bristle paint brush, and some sandpaper.
My bedroom Circa 1993. See the desk over in the left corner?
I painted and aged it and all of the dark wood pieces in the room 18 years ago without any chalk paint.
Painting and Aging Furniture Without Using Chalk Paint
- Latex paint
- Clear Glazing Liquid – sold at most paint and home improvement stores in the paint aisle or at the craft store. You do not need a lot for furniture.
- Paint brush for applying paint
- Stiff paint brush for removing paint
- Mixing container
1. Sand the surface with 60 grit sandpaper.
2. Prime with Kilz Original Primer and let it dry. (Have primer tinted to the color you want to expose underneath)
3. Mix satin finish paint and clear glazing mixture (75% paint, 25% glazing mix). You can also add a few tablespoons of water to thin the mixture, if needed. Brush it over the dry primer.
4. Wait about 5 minutes – then using a dry stiff bristle brush – brush it over the paint and glaze coat to reveal the primer. You want to create a striated look. Let dry.
5. Use sandpaper to distress the edges to age the finish. Clean off sanding grit with a tack cloth.
You can seal it with water based polyurethane if you want, but since it is an aged finish, I did not seal it.
Adding glaze to the paint takes some of the rubbery feeling away from the latex paint. The finish is smooth even without wax. It has held up beautifully.
I do love painting with DIY chalk paint and wax, but this furniture aging technique is tried and true. If you want easy and inexpensive, you may want to give it a try.
You May Also Like: