Beef Stew With Secret Ingredient
Better than Grandma's Beef Stew and easy to make. Serve the stew by itself or spooned over dumplings.
- 1-1/2 pounds chuck loin cubes
- 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 8-12 ounces sherry cooking wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, chopped into chunks
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- Aunt Anne's Flat Dumplings optional
Flour beef cubes and brown in butter in a Dutch Oven.
Cook onions and garlic in with the beef until tender.
Add water, sherry, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes, carrots, celery, green pepper; Cover again and simmer 15 minutes or longer until the veggies are soft.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 1930mg | Potassium: 846mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Calcium: 62mg