How To Make a No-Sew Round Ottoman–Part 1

Ottoman-Love-Inspiration

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know that from time to time I take a no sew project from my book, Instant Decorating and update it.   This is one of those projects.

Ottomans are one of my favorite pieces of furniture.  I  love them as they are so versatile and can be used for more than resting your feet.  Place a tray on top and it becomes a table. Put wheels on the bottom and it can easily be moved around the room when extra seating is needed as they are low profile and don’t take up much “visual” space  and best of all they just look pretty in any room.

Book--Instant-Decorating

I am currently updating it with new fabric. In this post I will show you how I made the base.   I will post Part 2 in a few days.    I want my new updated ottoman to look like the beige and white one from my inspiration file.

This is not the first makeover of this ottoman –  since it is a no sew project -it’s the third fabric change since it made the cover of my book.    When it is finished, I am going to use it as a seat for my bedroom desk.

Supplies Needed:

One 12-inch x 1-inch x 6-foot pine board – have lumber yard cut the board into two 16 3/4-inch pieces and two 14 3/4-inch pieces.
One 24-inch decorator round wood tabletop
24-inch square 3-inch thick piece of high density foam
Eight 1-inch wood screws
Eight 1/2 to 1-inch wood screws
Four 1-inch corner brackets or angle irons
Screwdriver
4 wheels

How-to-assemble-ottoman-bas

This is what the ottoman I built looks like after the fabric and foam top were removed.  Decorator table top is used as the top of square base.  Wheels attached to bottom of base.

Use 1-inch screws to attach the boards as shown in diagram.  (Figure 1)

Completed-Base-to-make-for-

How-to-make-a-no-sew-ottoma

Add metal corner braces/angle irons to each inside corner with 1/2-inch screws. (Figure 2)

corner-brackets-on-base

wheel-base

close-up-of-screwed-on-corn

Place table round on base and center. using 1-inch screws, attach to top of base. (Figure 3)

Center-tabletop-on-base-and

Lay the foam on the floor and place the base upside down on it. Trace the outline of the top and then cut out using an electric kitchen knife that you use at Thanksgiving to slice the turkey.

How-to-make-an-ottoman

side-view-of-completed-base

Part 2:  How to cover it with fabric – coming in my next post.

How to Make a No-Sew Round Ottoman, Part 2

Comments

I’m going to save this one to my favs…thanks for sharing it:) Hop over on Monday….I’m going to feature your fireplace screen…please feel free to grab my starfish feature button for your blog…thanks for coming to NTT and I hope to see ya again this week.

Blessings,
    Linda

2. Mary says

I absolutely love your website and wonderful decorating ideas, as the “look” is exactly the one I like and attempt to achieve with my home.

Hi Mary-
      Thanks so much. I have let things evolve over the years and tweak a bit here and there to update. Most of my furniture – 95% is hand me downs. I have only bought a few pieces myself.

3. Jouhanna says

What a terrific idea! I can’t wait to follow instructions to fruition :)
    Heading to lowes ASAP!!! This is my new addiction ;)

4. Julia in Woodinville, WA, USA says

Diane – I literally found you today via Pinterest. What is so funny is that I kept checking out your book Instant Decorating from the library (years+ ago) and finally photo copied the pages I loved. Here you are, of course, in Blogland. I am tickled to find you and just am smitten with the thought that I knew you all this time. (Like before “blog” was even a word.)

As before I find your ideas inspiring, yet do able. Thank you!

Julia

You are awesome!!!! This 1 and 1/3 income family is always looking for things like this to help me improve my home. Now I’m off to buy your book, if I can find it.

6. Nicky says

I made a ottoman simular to yours with the storage box bottom. My son was “redoing” my bath room cabinets and we put in round sinks. I used the wooden circle cut out of the cabinet top (for the sink) as the lid and hinged it to the box. It works fine just be sure to make your box so the corners are to the edge of the circle.

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve presented for your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very brief for beginners. May you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

Hi Brenda – Did you do a Google search for it? You may find someone that has done it. They only thing I can think of is you could use a big round dog bed for the center padding and then cover it with fabric. Make the skirt and attach it with Velcro to the side of the trampoline. If it has any wood in it -you could use staples to attach the skirt like I did on the ottoman I made.

Hi, Diane! I’m kind of new to your blog. I’ve been doing research for some distressed painting I want to do and thoroughly read your comparisons of chalk paint. Those are AMAZING and super helpful to obsessive researchers like me. ;-) Anyway, I’m about ready to start painting and was coming back for the exact recipe I wanted when I saw this DIY on the sidebar. I have beed thinking of making an exact faux ottoman like this with some things I had lying around the house! I’m so happy to have found a tutorial however so, I can see how it turned out and avoid unnecessary mistakes. Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge and experience with the rest of us! :-)