How To Make a No-Sew Round Ottoman–Part 1

by Diane Henkler on 03/09/2011

Ottoman-Love-Inspiration

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know that from time to time I take a no sew project from my book, Instant Decorating and update it.   This is one of those projects.

Ottomans are one of my favorite pieces of furniture.  I  love them as they are so versatile and can be used for more than resting your feet.  Place a tray on top and it becomes a table. Put wheels on the bottom and it can easily be moved around the room when extra seating is needed as they are low profile and don’t take up much “visual” space  and best of all they just look pretty in any room.

Book--Instant-Decorating

I am currently updating it with new fabric. In this post I will show you how I made the base.   I will post Part 2 in a few days.    I want my new updated ottoman to look like the beige and white one from my inspiration file.

This is not the first makeover of this ottoman –  since it is a no sew project -it’s the third fabric change since it made the cover of my book.    When it is finished, I am going to use it as a seat for my bedroom desk.

Supplies Needed:

One 12-inch x 1-inch x 6-foot pine board – have lumber yard cut the board into two 16 3/4-inch pieces and two 14 3/4-inch pieces.
One 24-inch decorator round wood tabletop
24-inch square 3-inch thick piece of high density foam
Eight 1-inch wood screws
Eight 1/2 to 1-inch wood screws
Four 1-inch corner brackets or angle irons
Screwdriver
4 wheels

How-to-assemble-ottoman-bas

This is what the ottoman I built looks like after the fabric and foam top were removed.  Decorator table top is used as the top of square base.  Wheels attached to bottom of base.

Use 1-inch screws to attach the boards as shown in diagram.  (Figure 1)

Completed-Base-to-make-for-

How-to-make-a-no-sew-ottoma

Add metal corner braces/angle irons to each inside corner with 1/2-inch screws. (Figure 2)

corner-brackets-on-base

wheel-base

close-up-of-screwed-on-corn

Place table round on base and center. using 1-inch screws, attach to top of base. (Figure 3)

Center-tabletop-on-base-and

Lay the foam on the floor and place the base upside down on it. Trace the outline of the top and then cut out using an electric kitchen knife that you use at Thanksgiving to slice the turkey.

How-to-make-an-ottoman

side-view-of-completed-base

Part 2:  How to cover it with fabric – coming in my next post.

How to Make a No-Sew Round Ottoman, Part 2

1 Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants March 9, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I can’t wait to see your tips. My friend had hers in the garbage and I took it out. Here cat left a little present on it and she said she couldn’t get rid of the smell. I am planning on recovering it and replacing the pad and it will be perfect and oh so cheap!

2 Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} March 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

To be honest, I don’t think I can pull this off, but I really admire you for being so DIY.

3 Christine Aldinger March 10, 2011 at 5:45 am

brilliant!!

4 Vicki V March 10, 2011 at 8:59 am

I hope my husband will build me one! This is so cute! I guess you could probably make it bigger if you use a bigger tabletop? I was thinking of using it as a coffee table.

5 Diane March 10, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hi Vicki-

It can be made to any size. I think at Bed Bath and Beyond they sell bigger round table tops. Lowe’s has round pine table tops also. They are sold where the molding is -about $24 for the largest size.

6 Yvonne March 10, 2011 at 10:26 am

I love your projects, Diane! Your instructions and photos are so clear and easy to follow…makes me think even I could manage them! Thanks!

7 Anita @ GoingalittleCoastal March 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

What a great idea and use for those table tops. I think I have 2 in my closet stash! I love the tan one with all those pleats. Can’t wait to see your next step.

8 tammy @ Type A March 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

this is a great idea, can’t wait to see the finish. i have a party going on if you’d like to link up.

9 mary March 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

can’t wait to see the fabric tutorial. come link up at my party! http://verymerryvintagestyle.blogspot.com/search/label/Share%20the%20Love%20Wednesday%20Link%20Party
Mary

10 Judy March 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

This looks like it’s going to be great. I can’t wait to see part two. I have all those supplies in the house already. I am totally going to try this when I find out what to do next. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining my Swing into Spring party.

11 Lucy Designs March 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Great instructions….It’s going to look great!

12 Maryann March 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Love it! Love the cat in that one photo as well!! Hehehehe!

How fun to see your book! I tried to order a copy from a seller on Amazon but it ended up that she didn’t really have it after all. It’s nice to see what it looks like on your blog! :)

Looking forward to part 2!!

13 Nan March 11, 2011 at 11:44 am

Hi Diane, I love your cat picture! Exactly what my angel kitties would have done! Have you considered making this ottoman with storage? In looking at the construction, it seems it would be a possibility by adding a square board inside that would rest on the 4 corner caster supports, nailed of course. And then adding hinges to the top round piece? Not sure if it would work without actually doing it. Great tutorial!!

14 Diane March 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hi Nan-

I already had this one constructed, but having a place to store stuff is always a cool idea. There really are many options and possibilities to add your own style to the ottoman! Thanks for the idea.

15 Natalie Cox March 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This is fantastic! Way to go!

16 jen @ tatertots and jello March 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I LOVE this!! Wow – awesome job. And I love that it’s no-sew. So clever!!

I shared it on my TT&J FB page and stumbled it :)

xoxox
Jen

17 sommer March 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

This is INCREDIBLE! What a neat project. I could see this in my dressing room, well if I had one lol. I would be delighted if you would link this up to my VIP party @ http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-6.html

Cheers!
Sommer

18 claire rose March 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

Found you through the Funky Junk party- your ottoman inspiration is a beauty-loved the step by step construction directions-can’t wait to see the rest! I’m your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

19 TRU @ TRU TALES FEATS March 12, 2011 at 10:00 am

I love this! You have great ideas. Meet your newest follower.

20 kristin March 12, 2011 at 10:19 am

This is fabulous!
Can’t wait to see how you sewed it. I’ve tried it before and it was a complete mess :(
Take care
Kristin

21 heidi March 12, 2011 at 11:45 am

hi

Found you on a link party. I am so impressed thanks for sharing love it!

chickhardware.blogspot.com

22 Denise March 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm

this is fantastic Diane! You really have a gift for tutorials. I can’t wait to see the finished result. I’m on my 3rd recover of a favorite ottoman too!
Thanks for sharing this at Transformations and Treasures!

23 Linda@Coastal Charm March 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I’m going to save this one to my favs…thanks for sharing it:) Hop over on Monday….I’m going to feature your fireplace screen…please feel free to grab my starfish feature button for your blog…thanks for coming to NTT and I hope to see ya again this week.

Blessings,
Linda

24 Kate @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating March 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Can’t wait to see the finished product! Thanks for linking Flaunt it Friday! :)

25 Mary March 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I absolutely love your website and wonderful decorating ideas, as the “look” is exactly the one I like and attempt to achieve with my home.

26 Diane March 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hi Mary-
Thanks so much. I have let things evolve over the years and tweak a bit here and there to update. Most of my furniture – 95% is hand me downs. I have only bought a few pieces myself.

27 Jouhanna July 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

What a terrific idea! I can’t wait to follow instructions to fruition :)
Heading to lowes ASAP!!! This is my new addiction ;)

28 Julia in Woodinville, WA, USA January 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Diane – I literally found you today via Pinterest. What is so funny is that I kept checking out your book Instant Decorating from the library (years+ ago) and finally photo copied the pages I loved. Here you are, of course, in Blogland. I am tickled to find you and just am smitten with the thought that I knew you all this time. (Like before “blog” was even a word.)

As before I find your ideas inspiring, yet do able. Thank you!

Julia

29 Dixie Redmond February 4, 2012 at 8:27 am

You are awesome!!!! This 1 and 1/3 income family is always looking for things like this to help me improve my home. Now I’m off to buy your book, if I can find it.

30 Diane February 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Hi Dixie – Thanks so mcuh. XO You can find copies of it still at used online book sellers.

31 sisi February 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

Amazing tutorial, I will be attempting this with a bit of shaky hands but a lot of relief with your guide!!

32 Nicky June 4, 2012 at 1:51 am

I made a ottoman simular to yours with the storage box bottom. My son was “redoing” my bath room cabinets and we put in round sinks. I used the wooden circle cut out of the cabinet top (for the sink) as the lid and hinged it to the box. It works fine just be sure to make your box so the corners are to the edge of the circle.

33 Josephine October 16, 2012 at 7:17 am

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve presented for your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very brief for beginners. May you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

34 Brenda Bowles February 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

How do you make a foot stool out of a small trampolene?

35 Diane Henkler February 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Hi Brenda – Did you do a Google search for it? You may find someone that has done it. They only thing I can think of is you could use a big round dog bed for the center padding and then cover it with fabric. Make the skirt and attach it with Velcro to the side of the trampoline. If it has any wood in it -you could use staples to attach the skirt like I did on the ottoman I made.

36 MrsOgg March 25, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hi, Diane! I’m kind of new to your blog. I’ve been doing research for some distressed painting I want to do and thoroughly read your comparisons of chalk paint. Those are AMAZING and super helpful to obsessive researchers like me. ;-) Anyway, I’m about ready to start painting and was coming back for the exact recipe I wanted when I saw this DIY on the sidebar. I have beed thinking of making an exact faux ottoman like this with some things I had lying around the house! I’m so happy to have found a tutorial however so, I can see how it turned out and avoid unnecessary mistakes. Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge and experience with the rest of us! :-)