In An Instant: No Sew Window Treatment

This is truly the easiest no sew window treatment I have ever posted. It is done with a sheet, not a flat sheet that you see made into easy no-sew panels, but– a fitted sheet.  I found this set for $13.99 at Ross and bought it because I liked the pattern and plan to use the set as fabric yardage in my studioffice makeover.

How to decorate with sheets

I learned to create this treatment when I worked in display and had forgotten all about it until I was in the supermarket line recently paging through a decorating magazine and saw a balloon style shade featured in a photo spread.   “OMGosh look at that” I thought.  If you live long enough you see that– everything that goes around truly does come around again, but with a few tweaks.   This project was not in my book, but I did demonstrate it on Lifetime TV. It is on video tape, not digital or I would have added it to the post.

Decorating with sheets Window Treatment

PS: One of my readers told me she found a similar pattern sheet on Overstock.com.  Thanks Patricia Prinzo for sharing your resource. XO

Here is the link:

Charleston Sheet Set   or check out  the Lyon Percale set.

Supplies Needed:

Fitted Sheet – I used a full size sheet, but a twin works just as well on a single window.  There will be less gathering along the top of the rod.
Curtain rod
Ribbon or pins
Scissors

Fitted Sheet Window Shade

1.  Drape the fitted sheet over a curtain rod so that the elastic corners fall to the sides of the window.

Fitted-Sheet Window Shade

2.  Pull the sheet so that the bottom edges on front and back are even and the elastic corners are lined up front to back on each side.

No Sew Window Treatment using a fitted sheet

3.  I am using the bright pink ribbon to better demonstrate how to pull and tie and sheet up.  I used white first, but I realized it was invisible in the photos. Ant ribbon will work.   Drape 2 long pieces of ribbon over rod and sheet as shown.

How to use a fitted sheet to make a window treatment

4. Start on one side and tie the ends of one ribbon together. As you pull the ribbon up the sheet will raise up.  When you like where it falls, tie the ribbon in a bow or

Decorating with Sheets

a knot and cut the excess away.  Repeat on the other side.   Fluff and arrange folds as needed.

No sew decorating window treatments

Use any color or type of ribbon. Here I used white to create a more subtle look.

No Sew Window shade using a fitted sheet

You need to fluff the folds and make sure the ribbons are tied up evenly across the window.  There is really no right or wrong way – it is whatever you like.  You can make it longer or shorter by bringing the ribbon bow/or knot closer to the rod.

No Sew Decorating Ideas

I played with the sheet in my daughter’s room and used pins instead of ribbon to hold it up.  I gathered a side at a time with my hand and secured the gathered folds with a large safety pin.  I placed it in vertically with the head of the pin on the back side of the sheet.  I did this on another window treatment I made and you can see the tutorial that has very close up photos of how to do the pinning – How to Make an Instant No-Sew Window Valance.

No sew decorating ideas window treatments

To hide the pin, I slid an open clip-on earring on the front of the pin to hide it.

No sew decorating ideas

Contrasting ribbon tied into knots. The knots are hidden on the back of the shade.

No sew window treatments

Matching ribbons tied into bows.

No sew decorating ideas

And when you don’t need the shade up anymore you can simply remove the ribbons and take the sheet down to use again on a bed if needed.

Since the sheet is draped over the rod – there will be pattern on each side. If you are going to do this on the front of your home, you can place a roller shade or blinds behind the treatment, so you won’t see color or pattern on the exterior of your home.

If you want to cover two windows – cut one patterned sheet in half and one white sheet in half. Sew a patterned sheet to the white sheet. The seam would be hidden by the curtain rod. Easy way to make a lining for a treatment like this.

How-to-make-a-curtain-rod-fIf you have two windows you want to cover and don’t need the sheet for a bed you can cut it in half and make a shade for each window.  For a n0-sew version – fold over the cut edge (top) and use fabric glue to make a seam for a rod pocket to fit the diameter of your curtain rod.   If you sew  – fold over top edge and  sew a straight line a few inches down across the top to create the rod pocket.

Instant-no-sew-window-treatment

Comments

1. Merri Jo says

Adorable!! And as always, your clever creativity and resourcefulness never cease to amaze me!

2. Ann/alba says

This is such a great Idea.. I was having issues finding something for my Kitchen window, I did not want to put up a permanent curtain rod.
    Thanks for Sharing.
    Ann/alba

This is so neat! I’ve done all sorts of curtains using bedsheets—even have done this same method for tying them up— but never thought of using a fitted sheet to get the puffy-look. Thanks too for mentioning a window shade or blind behind the sheet fabric. Not only will it hide the print of the fabric from the outside view, but also will help keep the fabric from getting sunbleached very soon. Sheets are hands down one of the best resources for wonderful designs to use in many fabric applications. Your idea is great!

Wow, that is so easy and a really great look! I love the pattern on the sheet you picked out too – that could really go anywhere. Looking forward to our outing – I’ll email you guys today.

5. Sheryll & Critters. says

Oh I love this. Both the how to use a fitted sheet without sewing AND the pattern. I must, must find a Ross Store around me. I definitely love the low price and it appears to be a really good quaulity as well.

I would love to find this fabric and afford to buy three sets, in order to make a bedspread of duvet cover for my bedroom. Unfortunately I can’t even afford three at that great price….. but I sure can dream.

6. Kim says

Really excited about this! I can barely sew a button on, so this is perfect for me. Thanks!

7. Catherine In NJ says

Oh My Diane! Your so brillant! LOVE IT, and plan to use it! Here’s my question; does it look white from the outside? Sorry it’s ingrained in me to have the curtains white looking from the curb. I have made a slip cover for my foot rest that took 1 month- I kid you not. Lining the sheets may take a year! Gosh this is so wonderful!!!!

hi Catherine – You would see the pattern on the exterior. I suggest you put a roller shade behind it or if you need to cover 2 windows – cut one patterned sheet in half and one white sheet in half. Sew a patterned sheet to the white sheet. The seam would be hidden by the curtain rod. Easy way to make a lining for a treatment like this.

8. Denise says

These are so cute! I love that sheet pattern. I wonder if a Ross near me will carry it? The pink is pretty but l love the white bows. It’s so fresh and pretty!

HI Denise – I originally used the white ribbon, but realized it didn’t show up in the photos where I was trying to demonstrate how to tie the sheet onto the rod. Had to find a ribbon that would show up. The pink definitely shows up :)

9. Rachel says

Saw this on Addicted 2 Decorating…..great job!!!! I’ve been looking for cute, easy, girly curtains to put in our home office/playroom and I can’t wait to try these!

Funny your name is Pamela. One of my good friends name is Pam. I had girls and she had boys. She always asked me the same question. You could use rope or leather belts.

I don’t know if you get comments on old posts, but I had to say “this is so clever” Again!!!

I have lace curtains that have little sewn on rings and you can pull it up or down for the length. I had them on my old windows at our apartment and bought them in the mid 80’s. I hated when I washed it cause I had to re tie or pin the little rings up.

I’m going to make a faux roman shade. I made a dress once with a fitted sheet. lol

11. Trish says

I have been looking for directions on how to do this and you made it sound so simple. I am school teacher and would like to use this idea in my classroom to brighten my room! Thanks SOOOOO much for this! And thanks for the suggestion on where to find cheap sheets, I didn’t even think of that!

12. Lori says

WOW!!! What a great idea. I’ve been looking for a curtain for my laundry room and nothing seems to match my washer/dryer…they’re red!!! Anyway I CANNOT sew to save my life and when I saw this I was like OMG!!! I can do this. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

13. Eva says

I have a very narrow kitchen window that I’d love to try this on. I bet a crib sheet would work for that!

14. monique says

this is so cute. Hubby almost finished w/addition and this will be perfect for the windows. Thank you.

15. regina says

Hi,
    I want to do this for my daughters room but needed to ask if she has a huge double window will i be able to find a extension rod that size you think? I like the idea of not putting up any rods? I can use two twin sheets i supose to get the width but unsure of the rod? can you offer any suggestions????

HI Regina – They make long tension rods. I have one in my basement that I used for my mother-in-laws apartment. They sell them at JC Penneys. Walmart might carry them, too. The longer lengths cost a little more, but will work perfectly on a double wide window.

16. Sierra says

My daughter has a double window in her room , i’m wondering if you think a king sheet would work.. or would you just use two twin sheets?

• Bambi says

king sheet works great I used one .plus I also put a button in the middle of the curtain in front where u gether it then put a ribbon from back 2 front buttoned the ribbon 2 hold the gethering looks great

17. DKGMom says

What a great easy idea! I really like it! I think a black ribbon would look great with the pattern that you show in the pictures but the hot pink is cute too! I think for a boys’s room you could use rope, raffia, belts, shoe laces or leather boot laces instead of ribbon. I can’t wait to try this idea in my kids’ rooms!

HI DKG Mom – I like the way you are thinking – so many possibilities to add your own or your kids style and personality. It makes DIYing lots of fun.

18. Jackigan says

I have been looking for this style balloon type valance that no one seems to make in a girls nursery pattern that I like. I love this and it could solve all my problems!! But I have honeycomb shades on the windows now and would need to make this valance an outside mount.. Do you have any ideas on how that could work?

19. Connie Watson says

I so needed a cute curtain that is inexpensive! I have a home with windows everywhere!! I especially want to make the living room windows (4 of them) look nice. I will find a sheet I like, and some coordinating ribbon and get to work! What a creative and thrifty mind God blessed you with. Thank you for sharing all of that gift with us!!
    CWatson

Hi! I love this! I’ve used sheets as curtains for years! I just wanted to give a suggestion for an even easier way to use flat sheets. If you take the edge seam out at the top and bottom of the sheet, where they are folded over, you automatically have a rod pocket! No sewing, no ironing! Even easier!

21. Michelle H. says

Wow, cool….I’ve got some small windows in my house….I might have to do this using Crib Sheets for a smaller scale….thanks for sharing this great idea…

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our
    community. Your web site offered us with valuable information to work on.
    You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

23. Lou Ann Salmon says

When I saw this idea I was thrilled. I wanted balloon curtains for my bedroom but because of the wide width of my windows they were hard to fit and very pricey! So i was left with having to make some. I can sew but finding time for it is another question. Your idea was the perfect solution and queen sheets would work perfect for my windows. Problem is, where does one buy fitted sheets these days with elastic on the corners only? Can’t find any! So I had to resort to sewing my own tie-up shades. They turned out great and are reversible for a change in color scheme. But I would have preferred using your quick and easy idea. Would appreciate any advice on where to purchase sheets with elastic on corners only as I have more windows I would like to try that on!

Hi Lou Ann – Sounds like you are very resourceful! Love hearing that you figured out a way to make an idea work for you. I found the sheets at Ross. I don’t know of any particular brand of sheets that has only corners with elastic. Years ago when I made a fitted sheet window treatment for a TV show I used to be a guest on, I used a sheet with the elastic all around. I pinned the sides together. It created a much fuller shade.