How To Make a Large Monogram Cutout The Easy Way

by Diane Henkler on 09/17/2012

Monograms – I love them and now that it is Autumn and time to change the decor on my front door, I wanted to make a monogram cutout to go on my Fall wreath.  I bought the best plywood, got a new scroll saw blade and set to work – after two failed attempts – all those thin curlicue areas were way too hard to cut… I gave up.  Then I asked myself, “Why don’t I do this the way I know best… in my own style.

As many of you know I used to work as a display designer. In a day in the life of this profession I had to make lots of lettering, logos, and other decorative stuff – I did it all with foam or FomCor boards and a hot wire cutting machine.    Since I no longer work in display and don’t have access to such a machine anymore, I found the next best thing to cut Foam Cor is a very sharp craft knife and/or a Hot Knife. Unlike a foam cutter, a Hot Knife is made to cut easily through the paper that sandwiches the foam, too.

So after two failed attempts of trying to make a wood monogram that took me all afternoon, in less than 1 hour I had not one, but two monograms cut out and it cost me only $2.00

I made one white.

How to make a large monogram with Foam Core

The second one I added a pattern to. I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet – probably frame it, but I did want to experiment to see if it could be done.

How-to-cover-a-foam-monogra

Anyone can make these even if you don’t have Photoshop on your computer – plus no power tools are needed.

Step-by-Step-Instructions-2

Dollar Store Foam Board $1.00
Monogram enlargement – $1.99
Craft knife and replacement blades
Optional – Hot Knife
Transfer paper
Colored Pen or pencil
Glass or craft cutting mat
Computer and monogram lettering printout

How To Create Your Own Monogram on a Computer

If you have a computer and printer then you can create your monogram easily.  You have three options that I know of – 1.  Photoshop or Photoshop Elements  2.  Microsoft Publisher   3.  The old-fashioned way – cut and paste.  I will explain how to do this further down in the post.

No matter which method you choose, you will need to download a monogram style font.

I used KK Monogram for mine.  You can download it at Dafont.com.  If you don’t know how to download a font, it is easy. You can read my post – how to download a font – here.

For this tutorial I am using PSE.

1.  Make your center letter 600 points using Monogram KK font.  For the left and right letters use 450 point size.

How to make a monogram for your front door

2. In a separate layer in PSE or a separate text box if using Microsoft Publisher add your first letter using 450 pt. size type.  In another layer or text box add the last letter – 450 pts.   You should be able to move each letter around on your screen by themselves. If not –delete the letters that are connected and create it again in its own layer or text box.

Monogram-making

3. Move the letters so that they are evenly spaced and lined up.  Make them bold – which helps give the curlicue areas a bit more thickness – helps when cutting.

How to make a monogram on a computer

Print it to fill a 8 x 10 sheet of printer paper.

4. Take your printed monogram to a copy shop. I went to Office Max. For $1.99 they made me an enlarged copy to my exact size specs – which was 18-inches wide.   You can have it sized as big or small as you want.  It is on a vinyl sheet so it can be used over and over again.

Make-a-Monogram-on-a-comput

How To Make the Monogram Using The Old-Fashioned Cut and Paste Method:

If you don’t have a program on your computer where you can create separate letters and then put them together in an image, you will have to do it the old-fashioned way.    In your word processer, create your 3 letters using the sizes mentioned above.  Print each one out.  Lay the center letter face up.  Cut the other two letters out. You don’t have to be exact – just make sure not to cut the actual letters. White paper can be left on the outer sides of the letters.  Lay each letter down on either side of the center letter. Arrange and then use a glue stick to attach to the center letter.

How to Transfer the Monogram onto Foam Board

You will need transfer paper. They sell it at crafts stores. Martha Stewart sells it along with her paints.  Just ask if you can’t find it.

1.  Lay your foam board on a cutting surface – glass or a crafters cutting mat work the best.  On top of that lay the transfer paper – graphite side down.  (My paper was smaller than my image so I pieced it together with tape to get one large piece of transfer paper.)  Place your enlarged monogram on top of the paper. Tape it to the foam board so it won’t move.

How-to-make and enlarge a monogram

2. With a colored pen, trace around the image.  Trace your line right outside the letter – not on it.  This bit of extra space will keep your monogram to size. If you trace right on the edges of the letters – when you cut it – you will lose some of the letter.  ( I used a different color pen or pencil for each new monogram I made. This way I can see where I traced around all the letters completely. )

Note: My center letter H has a pretty thin center.  I made it larger when I was tracing.  If your center letter has a thin part like this – beef up the line thickness in that area as you trace. If it is too thin your monogram will break apart.

How to make a monogram for a wreath

3. After tracing around all the letters, remove the copy and transfer paper from the foam board.  You should be left with your traced letters.

How to make a monogram sign

4.  Plug in a hot knife or use a craft knife with a very sharp blade. Have extra blades ready. I like the knives that allow you to snap off the dull blade and expose a new one quickly.  When cutting out the two monograms I made, I changed my knife blade 3 times to make sure I got nice clean edges with every cut. I only used the hot knife to get around some of the tighter curves.  I did not change that blade.

How to cut foam board to make a monogram

5. It should look like this after you cut.  On some cuts the corners can be stubborn. If necessary – flip the foam over and you will see the cut lines of the area you are working on cutting out.  Place the knife blade into the corner areas where the cut did not go through all the way to cut the back paper.   Dollar Store foam is easier to cut as the paper that sandwiches the foam is not a thick as brand name FomCor.

After you are finished, trim any raised edges carefully.  I had a few around curved areas.

Foam-Board Monogram-Tutorial

To hide the smudge marks and transfer lines I sprayed my cut out with a few very light coats of white spray paint.  Normally you cannot spray paint foam, but if you just do the top – it will be fine.

If you want to paint it a color –including the sides which will be white,  I would use craft paint.  Depending on the quality of the foam board  – the paint may warp the board.  I have painted tons of foam boards and have discovered that the thinner ones have to be weighed down as they dry. We did this by pinning the boards down with straight pins into the work surface.

How to make a wood monogram

Hang it up.  I looped orange ribbon through one of the loops on the center letter and tied it around the top of the wreath.

I wanted mine for my front door and know that hanging it outside will shorten its life, as it is only made of thin foam. Inside – yes, it will last a long time.  My front door is exposed to all the elements – no roof over it. Everything, including the door – takes a beating from the elements – especially the wind.   I have lost lots of wreaths, bows, and decorations over the years. To help this stay put and straight –  I tied the bottom of the left and right letters with clear fishing line to the wreath.

Monogram-Wreath-For-Fall Decorating Ideas -DIY tutorial

How to Add a Pattern to Your Monogram

I made two monograms. After I cut out the first, I used that as a template and traced a few more onto dollar store foam boards for future use – like a Christmas wreath.      The second one I covered with a decorative paper napkin. I found the pack of napkins at Michaels in the clearance aisle.

1.  Gently remove the 2-ply paper backing from the napkins.  Spray the monogram with spray adhesive – let it get tacky – about 2 minutes. Place the napkin over one half of the monogram. Smooth with your fingers.  Repeat with a second napkin on the other side making sure to line up the pattern.

Cover-with-napkin

2. Flip it over and use a pair of scissors to cut the paper in the open areas. Leave about 1/4- inch of paper all around the letters.  I thought this would be harder than it actually was. The paper is very thin so it was easy to form to the letters.  Cut tabs into the paper to make it easy to fold over to the back of the letters. Once you have it all cut out – it does not have to be neat. Spray a light coating of spray glue over the back.  Wait until it gets tacky and then, with your fingers, smooth the excess paper that you cut into tabs to the back of the monogram.

Cover-a-foam-monogram-with-

How-to-make-a-foam-monogra

Foam-Core-Monogram-Wreath
How to make a foam monogram wreath

1 FineHouse September 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

You are so creative! What a great tutorial too, I would love to try monograms – you make it look so easy too.

2 Beckie September 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm

This is so awesome! I love shopping at the dollar store, this would make a fabulous gift!! :)

3 Kim @ Sand & Sisal September 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I love this! I have a Martha Stewart hot tool and I’ll have to try it out on foam core. Gorgeous Diane! Gorgeous!

4 Peggy September 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE this idea! I followed the link to the Hot Knife–950˚ is kinda scary! I do want to try this! Thanks for sharing.

5 Sallie@Texas Cottage September 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for the super tutorial.

6 Martha/Marty September 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I WANTED one of these!! Leave it to you to come up with the easy and cheap version. Hurray!

7 nest of posies September 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

ohmygoodness – this is amazing!

well done. wow.

8 Penny September 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm

What a great tutorial! Thank you so much! Hugs, Penny

9 Rachael Miller September 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Whaaat?!? And to think, I was about to spend $30 or more on a monogram JUST LIKE THIS! Genius. Pure genius.

10 laura@Top This Top That September 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm

what a wonderful tutorial. You have saved many lots of money for the monograms that are out there !! Looking forward to following your blog!

11 Sherry September 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This is beautiful, so creative and amazing on a budget – just may have to give it a try!

12 Sarah @ Simply Sarah Style September 17, 2012 at 10:54 pm

This is brilliant! I have been eyeing the wooden monograms for awhile now, but wasn’t ready to spend $50 on one.

Your foam core one looks just as a great. I will have to remember this. Thanks for sharing!

13 Diane | An Extraordinary Day September 17, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I just went to pin this fabulous tutorial and you already have had it pinned over 1K times!!!!!!!! Way to go!! And thanks for the awesome tutorial. I know that took a lot of work.
Blessings!!

14 Sue B. September 18, 2012 at 12:18 am

Wow! Super tutorial and so timely with the gift giving season upon us!

15 Judy King September 18, 2012 at 2:08 am

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Your whole entrance are is so nice and adding your wreath really looks so classy! Thanks for sharing the tute!

16 Amy @ Positively Splendid September 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

Diane, you are such a smarty pants!! I have been using foam core board for tons of projects lately. It is amazing how much can be done with it!

17 Mara September 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

Very pretty, I have always thought that this would be super hard to do, but you make it look so easy, love the napkin idea.

18 Kim Gardner September 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

WOW! It’s just beautiful!

19 Emma Briggs September 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm

This is a great idea to make monogram letters…I used old makeup for painting my monogram project.

20 Aimee September 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

So elegant! Thanks for the tip on the hot knife.

21 Linda September 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thank you! Thank you!! I have been wanting to do a wreath with this type monogram forever. I am not very good with a computer but your directions are so clear that I think weven I can do this.

22 Gigi September 19, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Fabulous tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing!

23 Kristal September 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Diane – As always….you amaze me!!

24 Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage September 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Diane – this is fabulous! I’ve hear of Hot Pockets, but never a hot knife! I love all things monogrammed and this little dollar store baby makes me sing!
Kelly

25 Kimberly from Serendipity Refined September 21, 2012 at 7:22 am

Diane, I LOVE this! I’ve been looking at those monograms for awhile and thought that I’d never have one. I have a “hot knife” that I use for carving foam pumpkins…Can’t wait to try it out on foam core! Thanks for a fabulous tutorial! xo, Kimberly

26 TMT @ chateaurelaxo.blogspot.com September 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I think… I may… love you. Oh my, it’s the perfect tutorial at the perfect time! And such a barely-there price to produce beautiful monogram results…? Bless you!

Tammy

27 Amanda -cupcakes and corndogs September 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

I LOVE The leaf wreath with the monogram. I wish I had seen this before I posted a blog about fall wreaths. It would have been at the top of the list.

Where did you get the leaf wreath? Did you make it? I want to recreate this for y fall wreath this year!

28 Diane September 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hi Amanda – I made the wreath years ago and tweak it every year. It is just a grapevine wreath that I wrapped a few strands of raffia around. Then added dollar store fake fall leaf stems pushed into the grapevine on an angle. I then evenly spaced 4 purple hydrangeas around the wreath. Every year it gets beat up from the wind and rain so I refresh it with some new leaves. I posted a photo of it last year on my back door. Here is the link -

29 Christy @ 11 Magnolia Lane September 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Diane–I just love how you always figure out a way to do things beautifully, for less money, and in your own style. Kudos on another amazing tutorial. I’m making this one tomorrow!!

30 Sarah September 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Such a cool idea and great tutorial!

31 Melinda McCorbin September 24, 2012 at 8:28 pm

How large did you have it printed? Thanks

32 Diane September 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hi Melinda –
I measured my wreath and wanted the monogram to fill the center. I told the guy at Office Max to make it 18″ wide. The height was kept in proportion when the monogram was enlarged using the width measurement.

33 Melinda McCorbin September 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

Thanks.

34 lori caldwell October 6, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Hi Love the initials I went to office max they told me that .it would be 17.00 to enlarge the initials .Could not believe it.I had to say no.

35 Diane October 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

Hi Lori – OH no! The guy at my Office Max went to a book he had with all the prices and sizes of enlargements. I told him how wide I wanted it and he looked it up asked me a few questions and came back with $2. I either got a deal or the pricing structure is not being used the same in each store. :(

36 April Richey September 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm

How much would you charge to make them

37 Stephanie September 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Have you tried to cut corrigated plastic they make signs out of?

38 caitlyn (ladyphlogiston) September 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

nice job! you could also do the text editing in Inkscape very easily, or in Scribus, and quite possibly Gimp as well (those are all free open-source programs that are great alternatives to Adobe products)

39 Sheryll & Critters. September 28, 2012 at 8:42 am

I so love this. I hope I can do it. My problem now is with not working, I can not afford ink for my printer. I wonder if I can someway trace them out with a dull pencil over my monitor? I hope so. I did some butterflies that way that I want to put on a wall. You are so patient, not only to do these, but to give such great instructions.

40 Donna September 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I LOVE IT!!! :0)

41 Erin September 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I love all things monogram…and, I’m definitely going to give this a try! I am enjoying your tutorials, and am not following to see what tip I can learn from you next!

Erin @ Chronic Christian Crafter

42 Ruby October 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Beau-ti-ful! Thanks for sharing

43 Kathy October 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm

That is beautiful.

44 Michelle October 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for this idea! I saw this in Siuthern Living & was prepared to spend $45+ to order the wooden version. After pinning for almost a year, this is the first project I am actually going to tackle!

45 Heidi October 22, 2012 at 1:00 am

Would you consider selling these? Thanks! Heidi

46 phyllis October 22, 2012 at 8:23 am

Good morning! I wanted to let you know I featured your project on my blog this morning. I think these would be perfect for brides!
TY for sharing this wonderful tutorial!
phyllis

47 Ann October 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Diane! They are beautiful. You made it look easy. Hope I can do one.

48 Debbie October 24, 2012 at 5:44 am

So Excited! I have everything ready to make my first cut. I did want to let everyone know that Office Max would NOT enlarge my design for $1.99. They were going to charge by the foot, so I went to Office Depot and they did do for $1.99 but it was not on vinyl. Anyway, will let you know how it turns out. Doing mine in black with white graphite paper.

49 Diane October 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hi Debbie -

I am so happy to hear that you got the enlargement for $1.99 at Office Depot- $1.99 is affordable and doable. It doesn’t matter that the enlargement is not on vinyl – as you are just using it as a pattern to trace. Thanks for taking the time to tell us.

50 Cami October 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I am trying to monogram a pumpkin but not sure how to get an online font ONTO my pumpkin! :) Can you give any advice?

51 Diane October 25, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hi Cami – What kind of computer do you have and operating system? Mac/PC ? Windows 7 or Vista or something else?

52 Tiffany October 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I am also planning on doing this project! I am in Office Max now waiting for my monogram to finish printing.. They also want to charge by the square foot here. I love the pumpkin idea as well… Makes me want to do that also. Thanks for sharing.

53 Tiffany October 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

54 JoAnn @ SweetPepperRose October 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Lovely! thanks so much for sharing your tutorial – I think I can swing this now ;-) I was not looking forward to even trying this with a scroll saw.
JoAnn

55 Kayla LaRocque November 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hi i had a question i download PSE and Monogram kk.
the install button doesnt not show up on the monogram kk so how do i get it to install or show up on PSE

56 Melissa D. SC November 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Would you be able to tell me the size of the new background tht you opened up in PSE to make the monogram? Did you make your bkgrnd an 8×10 on the computer or a smaller size? I would like to make a special 50th wedding anniversary monogram for my parents.

Thank you for your time and for sharing your tutorial.

57 Diane Henkler November 12, 2012 at 8:51 am

Hi Melissa – I made it a little smaller than 8 x 11 so that when I printed it out on my home computer it would fit the the paper. When I took it to Office Max I told them how big – (wide) I wanted the final size. They used a proportional scale to figure out the percentage or the enlargement needed to get it to the size I wanted.

You can print it out at home any size. Just know how large you want the enlargement and the copy shop will be able to figure the percentage.

58 Melissa D. SC November 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback!

59 Jazmin December 4, 2012 at 12:22 am

THIS IS THE BEST EVER!!!!! I’ve spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how to do this and your tutorial is the best I’ve seen! So easy to follow! User friendly! I’m being super redundant but that’s how awesome this tutorial was! Thank you so very much!

60 Melissa December 24, 2012 at 6:44 am

You make everything look so easy! This is absolutely gorgeous!

61 kathleen December 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hi – this is beautiful. I have photoshop, but I don’t know how to use it. Your tutorial is wonderful and I was wondering if you can tell me how to pull the letter up on the PSE program.
Thanks in advance!

62 Diane Henkler December 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Hi Kathleen -

I think you want to know how to move the text? or do you want to know how put text in? I should first tell you that each letter has to be in it’s own layer. Once they are, then you can move them around separately.

When the text tool is active, just move the cursor away from the text/letter and it will change to the move tool icon. Now simply click and drag the text/letter to reposition the text/letters where you want them.

If this is not what you wanted to know, the best thing you can do is watch a YouTube video on working with text in PSE. There are many of them. Type in “Working with text/type in PSE” into a Google search. I also subscribe to the blog: EverydayElements.com Amanda has a lot of easy to follow tutorials. I have learned so much from her blog.

Happy New Year

63 Sandy January 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I have downloaded the font, but I can’t figure out how to get it to my document. Is there a secret?

64 Char January 10, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Open MS Word and look in your fonts list. My list shows it as “monogram kk” and it has a double “t” on the far left instead of the list.

65 Diane Henkler January 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi Char – the double “T” stands for True Type – it is the type of font it is. Monogram KK is the name it downloads as – not sure why, but it is the same font. If it comes up in your Word font list -it should open up to use when you click on it.

66 mimi January 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm

thanks, wanted to do this but looked hard, now not so scared to try.

67 Pamela Sanders January 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm

This is awesome! I love monograms and knew how to do them in PSE but didn’t know how you could increase the size as large as you had it. Now I know. Can’t wait to try this.

68 Melissa January 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Oh my gracious! I have been looking for a tutorial for this all weekend! I do like the monogram font, however I can’t seem to get them to connect together. I have a licensed monogram font and I know how to make that set connect. Is there a secret to this free one?
Thank you for sharing!!

69 Diane Henkler March 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hi Melissa – I remember you commenting on how to learn how to connect the letters when using monogram fonts. I am not sure if you figured it out or not, but I just posted a tutorial on how to do it. It may help you out. you can find it here: http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/03/how-to-create-a-monogram-using-microsoft-word.html

70 melissa June 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thank you for your response! I meant to send a thank you prior to now. Your blog is fabulous! Thank you!!

71 Lauren February 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I made one of these for my little sister’s room, it’s beautiful and was so easy to make! It took me about half a day to do it and it was so worth it. Thank you for this idea!!

72 Jo Mims February 16, 2013 at 10:43 am

I am unable to find Martha’s hot knife. Can anyone recommend one that is not so expensive. I see a few out there that are reasonable, but unable to find reviews for them.
Love your monograms, thanks.
Jo

73 Diane Henkler February 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Hi Jo – I did not know Martha made a hot knife. I use the Walnut Hollow one. It runs about $16. Replacement blades are around $4 for 3 blades.

74 Carlyn February 20, 2013 at 10:10 pm

This is a great tutorial with great photos. Thanks, it’s on the “to do”list.

75 Janice February 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

Hi Diane – I’ve just discovered your site in the past couple of days and I’m already addicted – you are a genius! I have a daughter who will be moving into her first ‘off campus’ home in the Fall and you have provided me with some wonderful decorating ideas! Thank you for the clear, concise instructions and creative inspirations!

76 Staci March 19, 2013 at 10:32 pm

This might be a silly question but what initials would u use for a married couple??

77 Diane Henkler March 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hi Staci – not a silly question at all. The proper etiquette: Wife’s first initial, initial of husband’s last name larger in the center, then husbands’ first
initial. I sometimes do it the other way around, though, as I like the way my husband’s initial looks first :)

78 Jessica March 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I love this!!! I’m buying all the supplies and I want to try and use wood instead of foam. Do you know if the transfer paper will work on wood? Or would I have different steps? Just curious if you have tried to use wood!
Thanks!!!

79 Diane Henkler March 29, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Hi Jessica -

Yes, the transfer paper works on wood. Steps will be the same, except you will need a jig saw to cut the wood instead of the craft knife. I would get the finest jigsaw blades, so your cuts and scrolls will be super smooth. I have tried making a monogram on wood, but it did not turn out so great, that is why I came up with the foam version. :)

80 Paper Invite April 8, 2013 at 8:01 am

This is soo cool.

81 Besa April 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I love monograms and I am planing to use them in my next project. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial. I have already pinned almost all your monogram tutorials.
Thanks again.

82 Htoles May 3, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hi!
I went to Office Max to get an black and white enlargement and they told me it would be $30-$40 dollars! Which office supply store did you use to do an enlargement and what did you tell them to do so that it would only be $2?

83 Diane Henkler May 3, 2013 at 10:41 am

I went to Office Max. Another reader a few months ago has the same problem. Others have not. Not sure if their pricing booklets are the same in each store or someone is not reading the pricing charts correctly. When I had mine printed, I showed the copy guy what I wanted to do and he went to a book and read me the sizes and types of paper and films it could be copied onto along with the prices. I am not sure what else could be the reason for the price difference. If you really want to do it and can’t find another place. Cut your monogram into four. Get each one enlarged on a regular machine to the same enlargement size. Tape the enlargements together to create one your enlargement. It won’t be on the vinyl, but you can still use it to trace. I hope it all works out for you.

84 Teresa May 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm

When you have completed the cut out do you then remove the paper of the foam board? We were wanting to paint the letters a color. Thanks a million for your help on this.

85 Diane Henkler May 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Hi Teresa – I left the paper on. The paper is what gives the nice flat surface. If you remove it, the foam will have texture and won’t be as smooth as the paper. If you paint it, it may curve depending on the brand of board you have. You will have to weight it down to flatten it after it is dry

86 Tammy May 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Ms Diane
How does this monogram using foam craft board hold up to the weather all year long? Any problems you’ve had or suggestions on what I can do especially for Southern weather? Thank you in advance.

87 Diane Henkler May 29, 2013 at 11:36 am

Hi Tammy – I had mine hanging on my front door that is open to the elements. I had it up for about 5 months. It bowed slightly from getting wet, other than that it is fine. I plan to use it again in the fall.(For the summer, I have a metal basket filled with hydrangeas on my door.) If your door is protected from the rain – you should have no problems with it. The humidity may effect it, since it adds moisture to the air, but I am not sure since mine was hanging in the less humid cool fall air.

88 Nicole June 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

If you do not have any program nor want to have to do the monogram on microsoft word- I found this great website that will make your monogram printable in seconds!

89 Diane Henkler June 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi Nicole – Thanks so much for sharing this. It is a perfect(and very cool) place to go for anyone without access to photo or computer programs.

90 Ann July 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm

So cute but I was unable to download the KKmonogram font…that’s okay because my monogram is AGE anyway (LOL). I always use my last initial because of that…

91 Susan August 20, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for this great tutorial. I was trying to talk my husband into cutting the wood, but he said it would take forever. This looks much easier!

92 Sarah September 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thank you SO much for posting this! I used this to make a GORGEOUS wreath for a Wedding Shower. I made a tutorial for doing this in Microsoft Word and linked back to you: http://domesticfemme.blogspot.com/2013/09/thrift-store-finds-diy-monogram-wreath.html

93 Allie September 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thank you for taking the time to put this up last year… I’m just finding it, but I am printing out your instructions so I can do this this Fall.

94 Chelsea October 27, 2013 at 11:41 am

SUCH a great idea. I was trying to figure out how i was going to do this with plywood and it seemed like an immense undertaking. This seems way more reasonable! I downloaded the font this morning, and designed and printed out my monogram and it looks fantastic…going to get it blown up this afternoon! Doing one for our wreath, and one for our master bedroom! Thank you!

95 Debbie January 6, 2014 at 5:08 am

Good tutorial. The result is breathtaking!
Thanks for sharing.

96 Janie January 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm

What type of wood is used for the wooden monograms I think.

97 Diane Henkler January 23, 2014 at 8:15 am

Usually birch or any very smooth plywood.

98 Janie January 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thanks so much!

99 Annette K. March 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Just a quick questions- you said you have the monogram on vinyl so that you can use it again and again. Did they print it on vinyl at Office Max when you enlarged it? Just the only thing I’m confused about… Thanks for your help!

100 Diane Henkler March 12, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Hi Annette -

The machine that they used to enlarge my monogram to the size I wanted printed on a vinyl type of paper. I had no idea it would be done on it, I was expecting a blue print type of paper. Another reader went to her Office Max and was told it would cost a lot more to print out on the vinyl. I either got a deal or the store she went to used different pricing.

101 Kathy April 18, 2014 at 7:48 am

You are one smart lady! I’d love to try this! Not sure I have the skill of hand or the patience. Your step by step guide is awesome. Thanks for sharing.