Spray Painting Metal Hardware: Brass to Nickel

The metallic winds of change have been blowing through my kitchen this week.  The shiny polished brass (which I still love) is being replaced with nickel for an update.  The song… “Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold” – has been playing through my head as I work.

The brass fixtures and hardware were starting to show their age and not in a good way. I bought new drawer and cabinet  hardware, but there were two items that I could not find replacements for – the brass towel bars on the island and the push plates on a lazy Susan cabinet.

They both got a spray paint makeover. I will show you the before and after on Monday, but while I am busy at work, I thought I would  share what I found out about spray painting metal hardware and silver spray paint – it is not all the same!

Spray painting metal hardware brass to nickel silver

Some women collect shoes, I collect cans of spray paint.  I do like shoes, too, but my spray paint collection far exceeds my shoes.  I went to my stash to find I had not just one can of silver, but 5 cans – all different brands.

Hmmmm!  which one will look the best?   I wasn’t sure, so I did a test on one of the towel bars to find the silver spray paint that looked the most like real metal.

Here are my findings:

The Winner

Champion-Sprayon-Sterling-Silver-Spray-Enamel-Spray-Paint

#1   Champion Sprayon Sterling Silver Spray Enamel   It is warm, but bright and has a nice glossy glow that adds depth to the finish.  This is the one I used.

The Runner-Up

Plasti-kote-Metallic-Spray-paint-in-silver

#2  Plastic-Kote Metallics in Silver #19101   Even though I did not get the coat even for this sample, it has nice color and shine, plus the depth of color makes it resemble real metal.

Rustoleum-Specialty-Metallic-Spray-Paint-in-Silver

#3   Rustoleum Specialty Metallic in Metallic Silver   This produced the darkest silver. It was too flat for the look I was after.

Krylon-Metallic-Spray-Paint-Brilliant-Silver

#4  Krylon Metallic Brilliant in Silver – nice and bright – but too flat of a finish, plus it had a slight texture – not as smooth as the others.

Krylon-Special-Purpose-Metallics-Spray-Paint-in-Silver

#5  Krylon Special Purpose Metallic in Bright Silver #1401 –  nice coverage, but too flat and had a slight texture to it also.  No depth to the finish.

Tips to remember when spray painting metal with metallic paint.

• Every paint I tried covered and adhered well.
  • Sand the surface first with very fine grit sandpaper and then clean well with a scouring pad.  Let dry.
  • Use one light coat of metal primer for ensured adhesion. Let dry.
  • Shake the can for a few minutes before applying and shake as you spray.
  • Let the first coat dry for about 30 seconds, then spray on another coat to get a super smooth finish. Usually on non-metal items I wait longer between coats, but to get a nice smooth finish, I have found two quick coats do the job perfectly.
  • Optional:  Protect the paint after it is dry with a light coat of  clear protective finish. Most spray paint brands have stain and glossy finishes.

Brass Push-Plates

before

I didn’t get a photo showing these door plates in their polished bright brass state.  I used very fine sandpaper to rough up the surface so the paint would have something to adhere to.  I liked the look after sanding.  If you want to dull the shine on bright brass – this gives it a brushed feel and looks quite modern.

How-to-spray-paint-bright-brass

after

2 coats of Champion Sprayon Sterling Silver – perfect!

Spray-Paint-Brass-with-Champion-Silver-Spray-Paint

I will show you how they look on the cabinets on Monday.

I also have exciting news to share and a big change for one project that is making me do a happy dance!

See you then.  XO

What-is-the-best-silver-metallic-spray-paint

Comments

1. Jackie says

Hi, Diane,

Thank you for all the informative information you give to all. That is very time consuming, and you are very generous to share via e-mails and your web site. My question goes back to spray painting the towel bar which is what I am doing as you did. How has the paint held up as a result of hanging a damp towel on the towel bar? Has the paint deteriorated in any way from a damp towel? Thank you again for sharing your expertise with us all.

Jackie

Hi Jackie – The towels I hang on my island are decorative only so the towel bars do not get wet. If your towels are going to be wet or damp when you hang them, I would seal the paint with a polyurethane/sealer. Every major brand of spray paint has a spray sealer. Once your color is fully dry, check the label on the can as to when you should seal. It is usually at least 24 hours or when the paint is fully dry. You don’t want to spray the sealer on too early or it could wrinkle the painted finish.

2. Dotti says

I just used the Champion sterling silver sprayon paint. I did not have good results. It spattered terribly! I now have to sand it off and start over. It also did not come out shiny. I shook it for 5 minutes prior to spraying. I shook it while I was spraying. 1/2 way through the can, it just started spattering the paint out instead of a fine mist. Do you know if the company stands behind the product? I ordered 2 cans online and the shipping alone was $8.95. I have done tons f spray painting. Never had this happen before!

• Myla says

Hi Dottie…for what it’s worth, i just finished using the Champion spray and struggled initially as well. Contrary to typical spray paint projects where several thin coats works best, this particular metallic paint didn’t seem to work as well that way. Fortunately, I had a ‘happy accident’ while painting and a heavy hand with the spray paint immediately revealed the sheen I was hoping for. As for the spray, I’ve had similar (spatter) experiences in the past with Rustoleum products but did not have an issue with these Champion cans. Hope you were able to find good customer service and new paint!
      Good luck!!!

3. Myla says

Hi Diane.
    First, let me say THANK YOU for the great summary. It was a huge time saver while looking to refinish some of our old door hardware. I LOVE the Champion sterling silver finish since it does still look like metal. My dilemma has been finding a clear coat that doesn’t alter the finish. I tested one handle with Rustoleum’s clear gloss Ultracover but it immediately altered the finish and made it darker and almost dull looking. Then I thought a clear lacquer may be the way to go, but alas, the same results as the Rustoleum test. Any suggestions on a sealer that won’t alter the finish?

Thanks again!!!

4. Sonja G. says

Came across your web site while while searching for spray paints. Your informative and creative website is inspiring, so much so that I wish you were my neighbor. I’ve bookmarked your website and I’ll be visiting often.
    Sea you soon…

Thanks for reading, taking the time to connect, and say hi Sonja. I agree with you that it would be nice to live next door to each other and all us decor loving kindred spirits. What a great neighborhood that would be :-)

5. Motheroflittle says

I’m updating a bath right now and switching out all brass for chrome and nickel. I got my spray paint at Sherwin Williams for around $6. It is called Chrome Aluminum . It is very bright and shiny but not glittery. I’m going to brave the cabinet hinges as the new sets I purchased do not fit. I already spray painted the collars around the ceiling light fixtures. They look pretty good. Thanks for all your wonderful tips and encouragement .