How to Make a Chandelier Chain Cover

by Diane Henkler on 01/05/2010

I am going to show you how you can easily make a chandelier chain cover.  I created this cover as a project for a decorating book I wrote back in 1994 that was entitled, Instant Decorating.    At the time I wrote it purchased chain covers required you to have to remove the chandelier and then slip a sleeve of gathered fabric over the chain – too hard - and I would have needed the help of my husband or an electrical contractor.

Now chandy chain covers or sleeves as they call them can be found in the Ballard Designs catalog.  They sell for $39.00, plus tax and s&h.  Making your own will not only cost you a lot, lot, lot, less - but you can choose any fabric you want.   You are not limited to choose from only a few select fabrics.  The chain cover is really easy to make and you don’t even have to use a sewing machine.  You can use fusible web.  A chandy chain cover instantly transforms an ugly chain and adds a decorative finish where you least expect one.

Before

Decorating with Chandeliers

After

How to make a fabric chandelier chain cover

Gather:

Fabric – double the length of the chain (length)  x  7” (wide”)
Iron-on Adhesive or Fabric Glue
Matching Thread or Embroidery Floss
Large Sewing Needle
Sticky Back Velcro (cut to the length of chain)

How to make a fabric chandelier chain cover
1. Lay fabric on cutting surface and cut a piece of fabric 7″ wide by two times the length of the chain.

Ballard Designs Knock Off Chandelier Chain Cover

2. Fold and iron all edges over 1/4″.  Iron on the adhesive or apply fabric glue to the wrong side of fabric, then fold and press to create finished edges.

Shirred Fabric Chain Cover

3. Using a needle and thread, sew a running stitch up each side.

I made my stitches really big so you could see. ( You will want your stitches smaller, but they don’t have to be perfect.) You can do this on a machine if you have the skills.  When you get to the end, knot the bottom.  Repeat on other side.

How to make a fabric chandelier chain cover

4.  Gather the fabric along the thread on each side until it is the length of your chain.  Knot the top thread.

Chandelier Chain Cover Tutorial

5.  Using your hands evenly arrange the gathers along the entire cover.  Place one side of sticky velcro on the outside, left.  The other side of the Velcro to underside, right.  Make sure to press the Velcro firmly into the folds.  Cut away any excess.

How to make a fabric chandelier chain cover

6.  Starting at the top of the chain, wrap the cover around the chain and press the two sides of Velcro together as you work your way down.  Keep the seam towards the least viewed part of the room.  (Ignore my big stitches)

Knock off of Ballard Designs Chandelier Chain Cover
Voila!

Chandelier Chain Cover Tutorial

1 pk @ Room Remix January 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm

A great idea for covering up those chains. Thanks for the tutorial!

2 Marian January 29, 2010 at 2:51 am

Wonderful ♥

3 Heidi January 30, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Thank you SO much for this! I repainted my chandelier a few years ago but didn’t think to add a chain cover then, and now it would be a BIG pain because we’d have to take apart the wires and such. I never thought about doing it with velcro, and I love that I don’t even need to get out my sewing machine! Yippee!

4 Sandy Jenney - Organize with Sandy May 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Thank you! I Googled for chandelier chain cover without sewing… and you came up first!
I was thinking of doing something like this, but didn’t know the dimensions of how much fabric to get or products.
Heading to JoAnn’s tomorrow…
Thanks
Sandy

5 Diane May 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Hi Sandy-

So glad you found me. It is very easy to make and if you look at my post dated 5/16/2011 you will see one that I made for a two story chandy chain. It is long and I had to piece together a few long sections of fabric to make it, but when it is all ruched up you would never know. I recently saw in a catalog something that looked exactly like the chain cove , but it was used to cover a bunch of cords that ran under a desk. I thought that was a brilliant idea. So not only will it work for chandy chains, but unsightly cords, too.

6 Sandy Jenney - Organize with Sandy May 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Just thought I would let you know that I made my chain cover today. I had my laptop in my room while I ironed and went step by step through it. I am going to do the same for my readers and link back to you.
Thanks so much!

7 Diane May 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm

You are welcome Sandy – You are so cute taking your laptop right next to your work space. Thanks for linking it too.

8 Bettsi June 5, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Hi Diane, I’m getting ready to give my own chandelier a makeover. I can’t wait to use this idea!

9 Diane June 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Hi Bettsi-

Thanks so much. It is not hard to make and adds a nice detail to the chandelier.

10 Patti October 25, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thanks so much for the instructions! I’m planning to do this right away…

11 Mary January 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

Diane, you are so clever. I love your website. This chain cover is so creative. I love all your DIY projects that I have read/seen. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

12 Jean February 23, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Has anyone every tried to repaint a dining room chandelier? I have a gorgeous one BUT it has shiney brass onit. I am thinking of taking it apart and trying to paint it. Help? Last, I will need to buy the small clasps in silver too.

13 Diane Henkler February 25, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Hi Jean – I have the same problem in my kitchen. I painted one in my dining room. Here is the post on how I did that: http://inmyownstyle.com/2010/11/dining-room-chandelier-make-over.html You could do the same treatment on the chain. To paint it: get some paint in the color you desire and use a rag to dab the paint on. Dab only a little bit on at a time and then add a few more light layers until the brass is covered. If you just want to knock down the shine – you may want to use a clear glaze mixed with burnt umber paint. Craft paints will work fine and only cost a dollar or two a bottle. Apply that with a rag. It will still let the brass color come through, but will lessen the brightness and make it look like aged brass. If you are trying to get the whole fixture to be silver – you could just use a metallic spray paint over everything.

14 tajicat February 24, 2013 at 1:32 am

Cute idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

15 Linda October 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I think this method could be used to cover chains on porch swings, too. The purchased chain covers with snaps are very expensive.

16 Kim October 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! I found it a year ago when I repainted my chandelier but just found it again and made my chain cover. It looks SO much nicer! I have a very short chain so I just used a 97 cent fat quarter from a local discount store.

17 Khara December 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Loved this! I sat down yesterday and made two. I had some leftover silk fabric and it worked great! What a different it made:)!