How-To Make French Enamel Number Tags

I can’t take credit for this very clever way to make your own French enamel number tags.  Rachel at One Pretty Thing  found this project and shared it on her site.  I read the post and loved, loved, loved the tags and couldn’t wait to make them to label my kitchen baskets.  Gail, at Can’t Stop Making Things came up with this project.  She used brass key tags and stamping supplies to make perfect replicas of the enameled number tags that the French use in wine making.    She has an excellent and easy to follow tutorial on how-to make them.  They are very easy and if you are a stamper- super simple.

These wine tags were Gail’s inspiration.

Enameled Numbered Wind Tags

Gail noted that she bought the tags at Ace Hardware Store.  That is the only place I found them. Lowe’s and Home Depot do not have them.  If you have an old-fashioned hardware store in your town they may carry them also.

True Value Hardware Store Brass Discs

I took her advice and used clear stamps for perfect placement of the numbers on the tags.  You also need a  Black StazOn stamp pad and clear embossing powder. I found these at Michael’s.

Stamping Supplies needed to make French enamel tags

I thought these tags would be the perfect detail to hang on a set of baskets I have in my kitchen.  You can see more about them here, in a post about my kitchen make-over.

Here they are-

Before

Kitchen Baskets

And with the added detail of the enameled tags

After

DIY French Enameled Number Tags

I think details really do make a difference -that added special little touch that gives something more character and interest.

How to make enameled Tags

How to make French Enameled Wine Tags

Tutorial How to make French enameled wine Tags

I love them.

DIY enameled tag tutorial

You will find Gail’s step-by-step tute, here at Can’t Stop Making Things.

Comments

HI, Diane, thanks for stopping by my porch. I just love this little project you’ve done. Those baskets look great & the tags are perfect. Cute, cute! And I love your glass float in the previous post, I would love to have a few of those too. Something I’ve been wanting to add to my seashells too.

hi Rhoda-

I wish I could really stop by your porch. It would be nice to be able to sit in one of your pretty chairs, enjoying a glass of sweet tea and your company.
      My best- Diane

Sooo cute! I love these, too. Thanks for linking to this tutorial, and thank you for visiting my blog today. I’m glad you liked the tutorial on making a no-sew cardigan. (Felting sweaters really isn’t exact, but I hope the guidelines I gave will help you get the result you want.)

You have a lovely blog here. I’m your newest follower.

Barbara

Hi Barbara-

Thanks for stopping by. My sister felted a sweater that came out better than mine. It is an unexact process, but your tutorial helped me understand the process so much better. I am sure I will have success now.
      Thanks
      My best- Diane

I’m so glad you like my french enameled number tags. I love the way you’ve used them and the post. Bravo! I also really like your blog. The projects are wonderful, the photos are beautiful and the instructions are easy to follow. Bravo, again.

Hi Gail-
      I love Rachels site, One Pretty Thing as I find so many gret blogs I probably would never find on my own. I am sitting in my kitchen typing this and admiring my baskets. The tags really make them pop. I am looking forward to your next post.
      My best- Diane

I adore these…and i must make some. I am spending a lot of time at the hardware store these days…yikes! I have some great images to try with this too. Have you heard of waterslide transfer – awesome project! Would be fab on this!

5. Michelle says

I have a couple questions: did you spray paint both sides, and did you use flat or gloss spray paint? I tried with glossy finish spray paint, and the ink didn’t look really “sharp”. I wondered if flat would have been a better choice?

Hi Michelle-

Thanks for asking a good question. I used what I had on hand which was Rust o–leoum Glossy White. I don’t think it should matter though if you use a flat as the embossing powder leaves a laquered sort of finish – masking any glossiness anyway. The ink from the stamp pad may work with some brands of paint better than others. I did spray the back and front of each of my tags. I did one side, letting it dry overnight, turned them over and sprayed the other side.

I did have one tag mess up as my hand was not too steady when I was stamping a #3. I sanded it and resprayed it. Second time it came out perfectly.
      Another important tip is when you are embosiing the tages do just one at a time. Apply the powder evenly and as soon as you see the powder disappear – remove it from the heat. If they stay on too long, they may get a slight yellow cast – which looks ok still, but I like them- whiter.

Hope you have a good weekend and success with your tags.

My best- Diane

So adorable! I have always loved these…but didn’t want to pay so much for them…who knew I could make them at home. Thanks so much for sharing. Your baskets are adorable!!!