How-To Make French Enamel Number Tags

by Diane Henkler on 07/24/2010

I can’t take credit for this very clever way to make your own French enamel number tags.  Rachel at One Pretty Thing  found this project and shared it on her site.  I read the post and loved, loved, loved the tags and couldn’t wait to make them to label my kitchen baskets.  Gail, at Can’t Stop Making Things came up with this project.  She used brass key tags and stamping supplies to make perfect replicas of the enameled number tags that the French use in wine making.    She has an excellent and easy to follow tutorial on how-to make them.  They are very easy and if you are a stamper- super simple.

These wine tags were Gail’s inspiration.

Enameled Numbered Wind Tags

Gail noted that she bought the tags at Ace Hardware Store.  That is the only place I found them. Lowe’s and Home Depot do not have them.  If you have an old-fashioned hardware store in your town they may carry them also.

True Value Hardware Store Brass Discs

I took her advice and used clear stamps for perfect placement of the numbers on the tags.  You also need a  Black StazOn stamp pad and clear embossing powder. I found these at Michael’s.

Stamping Supplies needed to make French enamel tags

I thought these tags would be the perfect detail to hang on a set of baskets I have in my kitchen.  You can see more about them here, in a post about my kitchen make-over.

Here they are-

Before

Kitchen Baskets

And with the added detail of the enameled tags

After

DIY French Enameled Number Tags

I think details really do make a difference -that added special little touch that gives something more character and interest.

How to make enameled Tags

How to make French Enameled Wine Tags

Tutorial How to make French enameled wine Tags

I love them.

DIY enameled tag tutorial

You will find Gail’s step-by-step tute, here at Can’t Stop Making Things.

1 beachhouseliving July 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Great look. I will head on over and check the tutorial. Thank you for sharing.

2 Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality July 24, 2010 at 4:51 pm

HI, Diane, thanks for stopping by my porch. I just love this little project you’ve done. Those baskets look great & the tags are perfect. Cute, cute! And I love your glass float in the previous post, I would love to have a few of those too. Something I’ve been wanting to add to my seashells too.

3 Diane July 25, 2010 at 3:04 pm

hi Rhoda-

I wish I could really stop by your porch. It would be nice to be able to sit in one of your pretty chairs, enjoying a glass of sweet tea and your company.
My best- Diane

4 Barbara July 24, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Sooo cute! I love these, too. Thanks for linking to this tutorial, and thank you for visiting my blog today. I’m glad you liked the tutorial on making a no-sew cardigan. (Felting sweaters really isn’t exact, but I hope the guidelines I gave will help you get the result you want.)

You have a lovely blog here. I’m your newest follower.

Barbara

5 Diane @ InMyOwnStyle July 25, 2010 at 11:48 am

Hi Barbara-

Thanks for stopping by. My sister felted a sweater that came out better than mine. It is an unexact process, but your tutorial helped me understand the process so much better. I am sure I will have success now.
Thanks
My best- Diane

6 Gail July 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

I’m so glad you like my french enameled number tags. I love the way you’ve used them and the post. Bravo! I also really like your blog. The projects are wonderful, the photos are beautiful and the instructions are easy to follow. Bravo, again.

7 Diane @ InMyOwnStyle July 25, 2010 at 11:44 am

Hi Gail-
I love Rachels site, One Pretty Thing as I find so many gret blogs I probably would never find on my own. I am sitting in my kitchen typing this and admiring my baskets. The tags really make them pop. I am looking forward to your next post.
My best- Diane

8 simpledaisy July 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

SO cute!!!
Thanks for sharing:)

9 Michelle @ Sweet Something July 25, 2010 at 11:13 am

That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the info!

10 Pamela July 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Another amazing project. They look like the real thing. Thanks again.

11 Chandra July 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I love the ribbon and the way that the tags go with the whole effect! So pretty.

12 Mandy [Mandy's Yellow Corner] July 26, 2010 at 11:46 am

What a great idea! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing :]

13 Ms Pink July 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm

love this! such a fun DIY <3

mp

14 Kaysi @ Keeping It Simple July 26, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Those are so cute!!! What a fun idea!

15 robyn July 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm

OHHH I LOVE THESE! I MUST go check that out, they look FAB on your baskets!

16 Holly L July 26, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I adore these…and i must make some. I am spending a lot of time at the hardware store these days…yikes! I have some great images to try with this too. Have you heard of waterslide transfer – awesome project! Would be fab on this!

17 Tammy @ Not Just Paper and Glue July 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This is such a beautiful idea and I love how it really jazzed up the baskets.It is amazing what those little “extras” do for things.

18 Rebekah {All Thingz Related} July 27, 2010 at 11:38 pm

These look great on your baskets! We appreciate you joining us this week at Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

19 Rachelle July 28, 2010 at 9:04 pm

What a cool idea! I never would have thought of that. I might have to try it out with some baskets we have in our house.

20 Liz Latham August 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Love the idea!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

21 Michelle August 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I have a couple questions: did you spray paint both sides, and did you use flat or gloss spray paint? I tried with glossy finish spray paint, and the ink didn’t look really “sharp”. I wondered if flat would have been a better choice?

22 Diane August 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Hi Michelle-

Thanks for asking a good question. I used what I had on hand which was Rust o–leoum Glossy White. I don’t think it should matter though if you use a flat as the embossing powder leaves a laquered sort of finish – masking any glossiness anyway. The ink from the stamp pad may work with some brands of paint better than others. I did spray the back and front of each of my tags. I did one side, letting it dry overnight, turned them over and sprayed the other side.

I did have one tag mess up as my hand was not too steady when I was stamping a #3. I sanded it and resprayed it. Second time it came out perfectly.
Another important tip is when you are embosiing the tages do just one at a time. Apply the powder evenly and as soon as you see the powder disappear – remove it from the heat. If they stay on too long, they may get a slight yellow cast – which looks ok still, but I like them- whiter.

Hope you have a good weekend and success with your tags.

My best- Diane

23 Lori August 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Where did you get those fabulous baskets?

24 Diane August 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm

At TJ Maxx and Marshalls. It took me awhile to find 6.

Diane

25 Pamela November 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I’ll dream of these baskets tonight. [smile]

26 Niki Entertains August 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

So adorable! I have always loved these…but didn’t want to pay so much for them…who knew I could make them at home. Thanks so much for sharing. Your baskets are adorable!!!