How To Make a Gift Box for Your Valentine

by Diane Henkler on 01/21/2011

You have heard of the old adage that good things come in small packages, right?  Do you like to give little surprises to your family and friends?  Then you might like to make a few of these…

How to make tiny gift boxes

Friends and family share movies, lunches and life’s big events. Friends and family are there when you need a pet-sitter or a ride to the airport, and they’re always ready with fashion advice. Your friends and family make life richer. Surprise them with a “little” gift from time to time.

When you give someone a gift in one of these petite boxes they won’t care what the good thing is inside, they will just want the package.

These little boxes resemble Petite Fours and are so appealing when grouped together you may be tempted to take a bite from one.  They can be embellished with handles or knobs made from beads, buttons, and curling ribbon.

They are perfect to give a small gift in.  Did you ever give your mom, sister, or best girlfriend earrings on a card?  Not very stylish?  Make the gift of carded earrings/merchandise have more impact by removing them from the card-

and placing them in a petite box. Don’t they look divine inside?  I used curling ribbon to tie them together.

How to make a little box using greeting cards

How about giving all of your friends a special Valentine Kiss this year… x x x  the perfect Valentine surprise!

(The kiss has to be on its side to fit in the box)

How-To Make a Gift Box Using Scrapbook Paper or Greeting Cards

Gather:

Card-stock, greeting card, or heavy paper
Bead and or button
Curling Ribbon
Ruler
Scissors
Pencil
Glue Stick
Jewelry Glue
Cotton to line box bottom

1.  Cut a 3″ x 3″ square from a colorful piece of card-stock or the front of an old greeting card. (You can make these any size square if you need to fit something larger in)

2. Using a ruler, make an x on the back with a pencil.

3.  Fold each side to meet at the center of the X, making sure to create a crisp crease.

4.  Lay flat and make 4 cuts with 2 cuts on each side as shown.

5.  Fold sides up and glue flaps as shown.

Repeat the above steps for bottom of box.  You can use a coordinating color card-stock to add interest.

To embellish the top of the gift box:  Glue a decorative button on top of box and stack other beads and buttons to create a finial, putting a dab of jewelry glue in between each.  I used 2 buttons and 2 beads in the order shown below to embellish the Valentine box.

There are many other variations to embellish the top.

Variation #1:  Glue buttons and beads.  You will find the directions to make the tissue paper ruffle  at the end of the post entitled, They Call Me Carol, but I am Diane.

Variation #2: Use the tip of a small pair of scissors to make a small hole in the center top of box.  Cut a small section from a doily to resemble a flower shape or use a large sequin, then make a small hole in the center.  Thread curling ribbon through large bead.  Bring ends of curling ribbon through hole in top of box and knot underneath the top.  Clip excess ribbon.

Variation #3:  To make looped handles:  Find center of a 6″ long piece of curling ribbon and thread the two ends together through beads, ruffle, doily, or buttons. Make a hole in the center top of box to thread the ribbon through.  Secure on underside of lid with a knot.  Clip excess ribbon.

You can also embellish the top of the boxes with vintage clip-on earrings (remove the clip), shells, as well as anything small and decorative that you may have stashed unused in a junk drawer.

1 The Polka Dot Closet January 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This is way to cute! I just love the boxes, and you decorated them so cute! Party favors, gift exchanges and then you got the pictures of the little boxes at the bottom of you post! Great job!

Carol

2 Diane January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Hi Carol-
Thanks. I keep a bunch of the boxes on hand so I can grab one when I want to surprise someone. I think they would be perfect for Mother’s Day, too. I love to draw and drew the illustrations of the boxes many years ago. I am glad I kept them. They make me smile.

3 Diana K January 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Those are really, really cute. Cute for any small trinket or bauble. I love mini anything..Hugs- Diana

4 Diane @ home sweet homemade January 21, 2011 at 11:16 pm

oh, these are just so yummy sweet. Thanks for sharing :)

5 Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants January 21, 2011 at 11:55 pm

These are so cute, I think I saw that I can make these with my Silhouette but I love all that you added to it!

6 Diane January 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi Laura-

I would love to have a Silhouette, but for now I do all the cutting the old fashioned way :) I have fun coming up with different embellishments for each box. I love the mix of color and shine. It makes my brain happy.

7 Marilyn Holeman January 22, 2011 at 12:27 am

Sweet! Thanks for sharing! I like your drawings, too. When I read your comment about them, I wanted to hit a “like” button. :-)

8 Diane January 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hi Marilyn-

Maybe the people at facebook should come up with a Like button for comment streams. I am sure it is not too far off! Thanks

9 Suzan January 22, 2011 at 5:04 am

These are just darling! I make jewelry for gifts and earrings would be presented so beautifully in one of these boxes. I know what I am going to be doing today! Thanks for the tutorial!!

10 Madigan at madiganmade January 22, 2011 at 7:40 am

These are simply adorable! I did not realize that they were *so* small until I saw the hershey kiss next to them. I may have to try to make these. Great tutorial.

11 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 22, 2011 at 8:00 am

These are so pretty, Diane! I love the embellishments of buttons and jewels you added to them. The white one you did would be perfect for bridesmaid gifts or for a communion; and with the season for those two events coming up in just a few months, this is nicely timed. You put such a nice touch on your gift giving!

12 Diane January 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hi Kathy-
Thanks. I thought about waiting until Mother’s Day to post the tutorial, but made the Valentine’s one to give to my mom and figured, why wait? My mom was a big surprise giver. She always gave my siblings and I little surprises all through our childhood when we least expected anything. She was super creative and I inherited her love of gift giving. I know receiving the box with the kiss will brighten her day.

13 Erin January 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

That is great Diane, my girls would just gush over these!

14 La January 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Great tutorial, Diane! Who wouldn’t want to receive one of these little treasures?

La

15 Lilianna Grace January 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Diane, because you are as sweet as an actual valentine…Congratulations! I’ve awarded you with a “Stylish Blogger Award!” If you chose to accept please visit my post: http://liliannagrace.blogspot.com/2011/01/blogging-share-fun-love.html Grab the “Stylish Blogger” photo, and follow the rules. Thanks for being such a fantastic blogger!

16 Milk & Cookie Party January 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm

This is such a clever idea and not just for valentine’s day. I’m thinking it’s a great way for the tooth fairy to drop off a prize and a good pick-me-up for a long week of school, etc. As always you inspire me. Also, love the stairway redo. Makes me wish we had a 2 story house!

17 Funky Junk Interiors January 23, 2011 at 4:21 am

So sweet! You’re just the best at making the smallest prettiest trinkets. Love the personalization you can apply to each one. So cute!

Donna

18 Simple Daisy January 23, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Those boxes are so cute!! Way better than just earrings on a card:):)

19 fanny January 24, 2011 at 4:04 am

Hi Diane,
they’re so lovely. I would like to publish your post in my blog next wednesday, giving the link to your blog…. is it possible ???
Let me know, thanks and compliments for your fantastic ideas !
Bye and have a good day
Fanny – http://lamongolfieracreativa.blogspot.com
info@lecreazionidifanny.it

20 Dana Ward January 24, 2011 at 11:01 pm

That’s great! If you have not been by yet, make sure you enter my linky contest! The best of January 2011 will be showered with prizes! I also have some great Valentines giveaways going on right now!

21 Jerri January 25, 2011 at 1:40 am

Your boxes are so adorable! Thank you for sharing them with us!

22 renee January 25, 2011 at 10:14 am

What a great idea! I absolutely love the little toppers you’ve added.

23 Rachel January 27, 2011 at 10:52 pm

These are gorgeous! I love the looped handles! Thanks so much, I’ll be linking.

24 Laura January 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm

How cute a mini box for a hersey kiss. Yes. Very Yes.
I linked to this post over at http://asnailslife.wordpress.com/

25 Tammy @ Not just paper and glue February 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

These are just so gorgeous! I think they would make pretty wedding favors as well. You might also like to link up your candy kisses boxes to http://www.pkglitzblog.com/2011/01/valentines-day-candy-wrapper-and.html

26 maggie February 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm

great ways to use buttons.

Thank you so much for participating in our linking party this week, looking forward towards your next project this week.

Maggie

27 Jami February 6, 2011 at 11:32 am

How sweet are these petite bijous? Love them! I hope you’ll stop by and share them at this week’s Pretty Packages Party!

smiles!
Jami

28 Jami February 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your wonderful boxes and tutorial at the Pretty Packages Party! They’re just beautiful!
smiles!
Jami

29 Charissa - The Gifted Blog July 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I found you via Home Sweet Homemade because she tried your idea. I love this – it gives your little boxes such a unique look!

30 Brenda April 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have been searching for a long time for a cheap and easy way to make my own jewelry gift boxes. This is perfect.

I can even use old watercolor paintings and turn them into boxes.

This is going to help me so much.

31 Renee May 9, 2012 at 4:32 am

Hi Diane!

This is such a *wonderful* idea! So cute and creative. This really makes me regret throwing out a bunch of old cards last month >_< I will be trying this!

Renee

32 Diane May 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

Hi Renee-

Thanks – I keep every card I get in a big box so I have a ready stash when I want to make a box.

33 Kristen November 6, 2013 at 8:21 am

What a sweet idea!! I love it!!!

34 Amanda Sparks November 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Great tutorial! Picked for the 7 Best DIY Jewelry Box Tutorials on our blog!

35 Molly Bauckham December 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm

This was SO helpful! I actually modified the design on the fly because I was putting Almond Roca bars into the little boxes, and using 4×4 squares, the rectangular box I created was exactly the right size. I felt like such a rock star! I’m going to tweet the link and a pic of my modification. :)