How To Make a Gift Box for Your Valentine

You have heard of the old adage that good things come in small packages, right?  Do you like to give little surprises to your family and friends?  Then you might like to make a few of these…

How to make tiny gift boxes

Friends and family share movies, lunches and life’s big events. Friends and family are there when you need a pet-sitter or a ride to the airport, and they’re always ready with fashion advice. Your friends and family make life richer. Surprise them with a “little” gift from time to time.

When you give someone a gift in one of these petite boxes they won’t care what the good thing is inside, they will just want the package.

These little boxes resemble Petite Fours and are so appealing when grouped together you may be tempted to take a bite from one.  They can be embellished with handles or knobs made from beads, buttons, and curling ribbon.

They are perfect to give a small gift in.  Did you ever give your mom, sister, or best girlfriend earrings on a card?  Not very stylish?  Make the gift of carded earrings/merchandise have more impact by removing them from the card-

and placing them in a petite box. Don’t they look divine inside?  I used curling ribbon to tie them together.

How to make a little box using greeting cards

How about giving all of your friends a special Valentine Kiss this year… x x x  the perfect Valentine surprise!

(The kiss has to be on its side to fit in the box)

How-To Make a Gift Box Using Scrapbook Paper or Greeting Cards

Gather:

Card-stock, greeting card, or heavy paper
Bead and or button
Curling Ribbon
Ruler
Scissors
Pencil
Glue Stick
Jewelry Glue
Cotton to line box bottom

1.  Cut a 3″ x 3″ square from a colorful piece of card-stock or the front of an old greeting card. (You can make these any size square if you need to fit something larger in)

2. Using a ruler, make an x on the back with a pencil.

3.  Fold each side to meet at the center of the X, making sure to create a crisp crease.

4.  Lay flat and make 4 cuts with 2 cuts on each side as shown.

5.  Fold sides up and glue flaps as shown.

Repeat the above steps for bottom of box.  You can use a coordinating color card-stock to add interest.

To embellish the top of the gift box:  Glue a decorative button on top of box and stack other beads and buttons to create a finial, putting a dab of jewelry glue in between each.  I used 2 buttons and 2 beads in the order shown below to embellish the Valentine box.

There are many other variations to embellish the top.

Variation #1:  Glue buttons and beads.  You will find the directions to make the tissue paper ruffle  at the end of the post entitled, They Call Me Carol, but I am Diane.

Variation #2: Use the tip of a small pair of scissors to make a small hole in the center top of box.  Cut a small section from a doily to resemble a flower shape or use a large sequin, then make a small hole in the center.  Thread curling ribbon through large bead.  Bring ends of curling ribbon through hole in top of box and knot underneath the top.  Clip excess ribbon.

Variation #3:  To make looped handles:  Find center of a 6″ long piece of curling ribbon and thread the two ends together through beads, ruffle, doily, or buttons. Make a hole in the center top of box to thread the ribbon through.  Secure on underside of lid with a knot.  Clip excess ribbon.

You can also embellish the top of the boxes with vintage clip-on earrings (remove the clip), shells, as well as anything small and decorative that you may have stashed unused in a junk drawer.

Comments

This is way to cute! I just love the boxes, and you decorated them so cute! Party favors, gift exchanges and then you got the pictures of the little boxes at the bottom of you post! Great job!

Carol

Hi Carol-
      Thanks. I keep a bunch of the boxes on hand so I can grab one when I want to surprise someone. I think they would be perfect for Mother’s Day, too. I love to draw and drew the illustrations of the boxes many years ago. I am glad I kept them. They make me smile.

Hi Laura-

I would love to have a Silhouette, but for now I do all the cutting the old fashioned way :) I have fun coming up with different embellishments for each box. I love the mix of color and shine. It makes my brain happy.

2. Marilyn Holeman says

Sweet! Thanks for sharing! I like your drawings, too. When I read your comment about them, I wanted to hit a “like” button. :-)

Hi Marilyn-

Maybe the people at facebook should come up with a Like button for comment streams. I am sure it is not too far off! Thanks

These are just darling! I make jewelry for gifts and earrings would be presented so beautifully in one of these boxes. I know what I am going to be doing today! Thanks for the tutorial!!

These are so pretty, Diane! I love the embellishments of buttons and jewels you added to them. The white one you did would be perfect for bridesmaid gifts or for a communion; and with the season for those two events coming up in just a few months, this is nicely timed. You put such a nice touch on your gift giving!

Hi Kathy-
      Thanks. I thought about waiting until Mother’s Day to post the tutorial, but made the Valentine’s one to give to my mom and figured, why wait? My mom was a big surprise giver. She always gave my siblings and I little surprises all through our childhood when we least expected anything. She was super creative and I inherited her love of gift giving. I know receiving the box with the kiss will brighten her day.

This is such a clever idea and not just for valentine’s day. I’m thinking it’s a great way for the tooth fairy to drop off a prize and a good pick-me-up for a long week of school, etc. As always you inspire me. Also, love the stairway redo. Makes me wish we had a 2 story house!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful boxes and tutorial at the Pretty Packages Party! They’re just beautiful!
    smiles!
    Jami

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have been searching for a long time for a cheap and easy way to make my own jewelry gift boxes. This is perfect.

I can even use old watercolor paintings and turn them into boxes.

This is going to help me so much.

Hi Diane!

This is such a *wonderful* idea! So cute and creative. This really makes me regret throwing out a bunch of old cards last month >_< I will be trying this!

Renee

This was SO helpful! I actually modified the design on the fly because I was putting Almond Roca bars into the little boxes, and using 4×4 squares, the rectangular box I created was exactly the right size. I felt like such a rock star! I’m going to tweet the link and a pic of my modification. :)