How To Make No-Sew Drapery Panels

by Diane Henkler on 04/06/2011

In my last post I showed you how I made an inexpensive curtain rod and finals. This post is the tutorial for how I made the no-sew drapery panels.  I also found some creative unconventional ideas for rods and hooks that I linked to at the end of this post.

AFter-of-no-sew-drape-side-

For No-Sew panels you can use drapery hooks attached to the panel header  with drapery hooks or you can sew each one on.

How-to-put-curtain-rods-rin

You can also use clip-on rings  – no hooks or sewing needed.  You just need to make finished edges/hems on all sides of your fabric.   Super Easy!

1260402621-20885-0027837617324

Since I wanted to use the decorative metal rings my friend Karen gave me I had to use drapery hooks to hang my panels from the rod. To make sure the top heading of my fabric panel was stable or had something to push drapery hooks into – I made a finished edge with a 1 1/2” ribbon encased in the hem. This give the hooks something to grab onto and keeps the top of the panel looking crisp – not floppy.

If you want to use decorative rings and drapery hooks follow the first set of directions to make the top(heading) hem. The rest of your fabric edges will just be a simple hem -fold over and iron- on adhesive added.

If using clips follow the second set of directions.

Note:  These panels are not lined.  My white fabric selvages were not marked with any manufacturers marks or pattern names so they already looked finished.  I left them alone and only made finished edges on the top and bottom of my panels which made the whole process even easier. With pattern fabrics you will need to make a finished edge on all sides of your fabric.

Directions for using Decorative Rings and Drapery Hooks

Measure your window and figure out how long your panels need to be. Add 6-inches to the length needed to allow for heading and hem.

1.Figure out how long your header should be by placing a hook and ring on the top of fabric.

2.  Fold over the fabric the size needed and place a 1 1/2-inch ribbon along the top edge the total width of the panel of fabric.

3.  Fold fabric over so ribbon is under the fold.   I rolled up sheets of Heat N’ Bond and cut wide strips the size of the fold over and ribbon.   Press this onto the top of the folded over fabric and let cool.  Remove paper backing from adhesive.

4.  Fold fabric over again and press creating a finished edge with stabilization(ribbon). To make sure you are creating a good bond, turn panel over to right side and press again.

5.  Tuck in or cut excess ribbon in to folds.

6.  Attach drapery hooks evenly across the top of panel. My fabric was 58” wide and I placed a hook every 8”.

7.  Place hooks on rod and then hook the hooks into each ring.

How-to-make-a-no-sew-header

Hook-to-place-drapery-hooks

Directions for using Drapery Clips

How to make a no-sew finished edge or hem

I used Heat N’ Bond, but you can use fabric glue in instead.

Measure the length of fabric needed and add 4- 6 inches for top and bottom hem.

Read these directions and create the top hem and then hang your panel. The process is the same, but doing it this way allows you to find exactly where you need to hem the bottom of the fabric – no second guessing.    No matter how well I measure I always leave the hem for last to make sure I don’t make the panels too short.  :)

1.  Hang your panels and pin bottom to length needed.

2.  Remove and then press fabric as you pinned it.

3. Add Heat N’ Bond or fabric and press. Let cool.

4. Remove paper strip.

5. Fold fabric over again and press to adhere.

How-to-make-a-no-sew-hem-on

How-to-make-no-sew-drapes-f

Look at these very clever rod and ring ideas.

Check out the curtain panels Michael over at Inspired by Charm made.  He broke apart the links from chain for his rings. Wait to you see how he hung them. Very clever. I love what he did.

And when you want an extra long curtain rod and need options check out what Mary at The Tall Chick made using electrical tubing.

my-signature

I am linking this post to:

Savvy Southern Style
Blue Cricket Designs
The Thrifty Home
A Beach Cottage
The Shabby Chic Cottage
The House of Hepworths
Finding Fabulous

Thumbnail-How-to-make-no-se

1 Jane's Junk and Treasures April 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hey what a great idea!!!
Thanks!!!!

2 Sherry April 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Hi Diane,
As always, so creative! I have a curtains in my daughter’s room that still needs a hem, I think I will use your no-sew finished hem method. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

3 Wanda Collier April 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

How Creative you are….thank you for tutorial…because I am working on my oldest son’s house. I need some good ideas without breaking the budget. Wanda

4 www.classiccasualhome.com April 6, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Nice job. These are drapes even I could make! Thanks.

5 beachhouseliving April 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm

This is genius! I was using sheets and cutting slits to slide the rod into. I like the clips though.

6 Krystine April 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

They turned out really good! I just found those clips for the curtain too and they work great! Thanks for the tutorial!
Lucyluvinyl.blogspot.com

7 Andrea April 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm

LOVE! I cannot sew at all, so this is a perfect project idea for me!

8 Christine April 6, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I love this idea! I have used the clippies before but never drapery hooks, love it.
Christine
greatoakcircle.com

9 Ashlyn April 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Maybe even I could handle this?!
You come up with great ideas…I don’t know how you do it!
xo
Ashlyn

10 Stacy@RedDoorHome April 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

All of these are great options for people who do not sew. Thanks for the great tutorials.

11 Brandy J. April 8, 2011 at 10:12 am

I just found your blog and am your newest follower! You are one talented woman who has left me completely inspired. Thanks for the great blog and no-sew tips!! The curtains are fab!

12 Connie April 10, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Good ideas about no-sew curtain options. But I do want to advise that the “glue on” style tape applied with an iron does not always work on every fabric..sigh (:

Try it first on a small section. If it works, fantastic! If not, you might try ironing on double “lines” of it. If that doesn’t work, you may have to find a person to sew the curtain panels after all.

As a decorator I’m always excited to find a client willing and able to sew simple projects I have in mind for their room(s) design. It saves them money, they have a vested interest in their room and I don’t have to sew it for them…again, saving them money :)

13 Diane April 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Hi Connie-

Thanks for the tip about the double line of tape. I have found a few heavier fabrics sometimes don’t adhere well. I then like to use some fabric glue – Beacon and Aleene’s both work well, but they need to be brushed on so they don’t leave ridges. I once helped a big name designer at a decorator showhouse hot glue wood tassel trim to his drapery for his room. He was thrilled. I have even hot glued hems on, but only did this as a last resort.

Since I have a sewing machine – I can sew my treatments – but as you stated it is nice to have options available.

14 Rachel April 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I love it! This and the rod is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing your creative how-tos, I’ll be linking.

15 Emily September 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Hey! I got an email with your new post abt the planner… I don’t know were to respond tho… Plz put me in the draw!!! If u get this in time!!! Thx much!!!:)

16 darice November 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm

i love the post i am starting to do all my own things i have great ideas but dont no where to start and this help alot thank you so much for sharing

17 Brenda Taylor January 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I am interested in trying to make a window treatment sorta like a small droop swag with a tailored look kind of round look, simple could I do it with 5 1/2 yds.