Here is the second part of how I transformed the old brass chandelier in my foyer.
Here is the before – it was a classic colonial chandelier that I bought at a flea market when I first moved into my house many years ago. It is cracked in a few places and the arms are at different heights so figured I had nothing to lose so I started experimenting to update it in DIY fashion.
I have never done a Spackle treatment like this, and I truly experimented and asked myself – What if… The chandelier didn’t come out quite as I planned, but I don’t mind showing you this after as I enjoy the process of trying new ideas whether they are successful or not – it is an integral part of the creative process.
You can find out how I painted the shades here – How I am Updating an Old Brass Chandelier
I tried to disguise the colonial ball base by covering it with Spackle.
It was like adding icing to a cake. The hardest part was working on it while it was still hanging from the ceiling. Since the chandelier and I have been seeing a lot of each other the last few days I figured she needed a name. So I named her Chandie.
Here is what I used:
Dap Fast “N Final Lightweight Spackle, Gloss White Paint, and Treasure Crystal Cote. I don’t think this is available anymore, but any gloss non-yellowing protective coat will work.
If you remember from my last post I had found 3 glass candle socket bobeches. I added them to the chandelier but still need 3 more. I will have to hunt and gather them when I am out and about thrifting. In the meantime I made 3 crystal bead rings to place at the base of the 3 bobeche-less candle sockets.
I strung 8 beads on thin craft wire and then tied the ends into a knot. Cut the excess
and tucked it in between two beads to hide.
Then slid it over the candle.
To cover the brass ball – I literally smeared light weight Spackle over it with an icing spreader.
and let it set for about 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes I ran my fingertips through through the Spackle from the top of the ball to the bottom. That made 4 grooves in the Spackle. I repeated running my fingers through the Spackle all the way around the ball until it was all grooved.
To get a smoother look, spray with water and let it dry.
I also used an emery board in places to level the ridges . I gently rubbed it along the rough edges of the Spackle. If there is a large ridge you can use a wet finger to smooth it.
I did the top section in the same way. Spread the Spackle, but instead or using my fingers to make the grooves
I pressed a hot glue stick vertically around the section with Spackle to create the ridges.
When the Spackle is completely dry – a wet finger works perfectly to smooth the Spackle as well as to shape it to form. The lightweight Spackle is whipped like air – it is weightless and doesn’t crack like the regular stuff.
Once you are happy with the smoothness and shape – apply two coats of gloss white paint.
I also distressed the un-Spackled brass with clear glaze and white paint 50/50 mix and then spread it all over. I let it dry for about 5 minutes then wiped it off in places with a dry rag and a dry paint brush. I like the way the white paint settled into the design and accents the underside of the candle bases.
Once the paint is dry on the Spackled sections I applied one light coat of Treasure Crystal Cote and let it dry.
I still may use Rub N’ Buf to bring out the details, but I am going to leave it for now and see how I feel about it. You may see it totally transformed again.
Now that this is bright and white – I want to add more white accents in the room. You know how it is - you change one thing and then that leads to another and another and another…
How to Make Scrapbook Paper Chandelier Shade Covers