| | | |

Old Brass Chandelier Makeover – After

This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read my Disclosure Policy.

Here is the second part of the old brass chandelier makeover I did in my foyer.

Here is the before – it was a classic colonial chandelier that I bought at a flea market  when I first moved into my house many years ago.   It is cracked in a few places and the arms are at different heights so figured I had nothing to lose so I started experimenting to update it in DIY fashion.

I have never done a Spackle treatment like this, and I truly experimented and asked myself – What if…   The chandelier didn’t come out quite as I planned, but I don’t mind showing you this after as I enjoy the process of  trying new ideas whether they are successful or not – it is an integral part of the creative process.

You can find out how I painted the shades here – How I am Updating an Old Brass Chandelier


Brass Chandelier makeover that uses Spackle and paint


I tried to disguise the colonial ball base by covering it with Spackle.


It was like adding icing to a cake.  The hardest part was working on it while it was still hanging from the ceiling.  Since the chandelier and I  have been seeing a lot of each other the last few days I figured she needed a name. So I named her Chandie.


supplies needed:

  • Dap Fast “N Final Lightweight Spackle
  • Gloss White Paint
  • Treasure Crystal Cote –  I don’t think this is available anymore, but any gloss non-yellowing protective coat will work.


If you remember from my last post I had found 3 glass candle socket bobeches. I added them to the chandelier but still need 3 more.   I will have to hunt and gather them when I am out and about thrifting.  In the meantime I made 3 crystal bead rings to place at the base of the 3 bobeche-less candle sockets.


I strung 8 beads on thin craft wire and then tied the ends into a knot. Cut the excess


and tucked it in between two beads to hide.


Then slid it over the candle.


To cover the brass ball – I literally smeared light weight Spackle over it with an icing spreader.


and let it set for about 10 minutes.


After 10 minutes I ran my fingertips through through the Spackle from the top of the ball to the bottom.  That made 4 grooves in the Spackle. I repeated running my fingers through the Spackle all the way around the ball until it was all grooved.


To get a smoother look, spray with water and let it dry.


I also used an emery board in places to level the ridges . I gently rubbed it along the rough edges of the Spackle.  If there is a large ridge you can use a wet finger to smooth it.


I did the top section in the same way.  Spread the Spackle, but instead or using my fingers to make the grooves


I pressed a hot glue stick vertically around the  section with Spackle to create the ridges.


When the Spackle is completely dry – a wet finger works perfectly to smooth the Spackle as well as to shape it to form.  The lightweight Spackle is whipped like air – it is weightless and doesn’t crack like the regular stuff.


Once you are happy with the smoothness and shape – apply two coats of gloss white paint.


I also distressed the un-Spackled brass with clear glaze and white paint 50/50 mix and then spread it all over. I let it dry for about 5 minutes then wiped it off in places with a dry rag and a dry paint brush.  I like the way the white paint settled into the design and accents the underside of the candle bases.


Once the paint is dry on the Spackled sections I applied one light coat of Treasure Crystal Cote and let it dry.

I still may use Rub N’ Buf  to bring out the details, but I am going to leave it for now and see how I feel about it.  You may see it totally transformed again.




Painted White

Now that this is bright and white  – I want to add more white accents in the room. You know how it is –  you change one thing and then that leads to another and another and another…

Related Posts


How to Make Scrapbook Paper Chandelier Shade Covers

Update an old Brass Chandelier with spackle!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


  1. Wow Diane, that is quite a transformation! You are a brave woman to take on that project! Well done!

  2. Wow! That came out amazing. Such a fabulous idea!!!!!!!!!
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    1. Thanks Debra-

      It took longer than I expected because of the damp weather, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

  3. Oh my gosh, you are cracking me up with that cute outfit and doing your work. Where there is a will there is a way and you always seem to come up with the way. I am amazed at your creativity and your ideas, that chandelier doesn’t even look close to what it looked like before! Amazing.

  4. Looks great! So love it that you are so brave to hang over your gorgeous rail and work on it! You are one brave lady!
    Great way to bring new life to a chandelier

    1. Hi Alison –
      Thanks. I didn’t hang over as much as bring the chandelier over to me. The chain is long and if I was on a high step I didn’t have to lean over too much. I hope you have a nice weekend.