Bathroom Makeover – How to Add Decorative Molding to a Bathtub

I am happy to say that I have made lots of progress this week with the bathroom makeover.  I have ripped out the baseboards, scrubbed the floor to see if it could be saved, painted the top section of the wall, and built a decorative frame for the bathtub using molding. My home was the builders “Spec” home – pretty basic – no real tub or tile, just one of those molded tubs complete with its own wall.

Budget Bathroom Makeover Idea for Bathtubs

I have always loved when tubs have decorative molding along the front to accent them and decided to do it for this bathroom.  I had to work around a few obstacles –shower curtain rod not lining up, curved walls in the molded tub, but it all worked out just fine.

Here is the tub before.

Bathroom Decorating Ideas

During

If you have the space and a regular bathtub not the molded kind I have you can add the molding and paneling in a slightly different way so it sits outside the tub itself and does not wrap over it. I had to do it the “wrap over” way because of the tub I have and space restraints.  At the end of the post I added how to add the frame and molding that doesn’t wrap over the top of the tub.

I built the decorative front in a way that it could be removed with minimal damage to the tub itself if we ever decided we didn’t want it any longer – which I highly doubt, but you never know.  I originally wanted to create the frame with 2 x4′s, but that took the tub too far out into the room and the shower curtain would have to be placed through the window. Not going to work – time for a new plan.

Instead I created a very narrow frame and top that goes across the top of the tub so it doesn’t change the tub width much at all and the shower curtain rod has a wall to still  be attached to.

I started by creating a frame of wood along the wall on each side of the tub and the floor.   I am going to be adding board/batten/bead board  in the room and the frame on either side of the tub will be part of this.  I am using 3 1/2” wide Mdf for that.

frame-each-side-of-tub-withframe-tub-with-boards

I then created a frame in front of the tub that is level with the top edge of the tub.   Make sure the frame is at the right height so that the top finishing PVC board will be level when you attach it.  I had to play around with this for awhile, until I got it just right so that everything was secure and solid.   I then nailed the sides into the Mdf on each side of the tub and into the floor.  To make sure it was really secure – I used Liquid Nails also.

During-construction---how-t

I had to work around the curve on each side on the front of the tub.  At first I thought it would be a real problem, but once I thought it through,  I figured out I could still attach the frame to the side walls and floor for stability, so it was no longer a problem.  ( View of tub looking down)

Had-to-work-around-curve-on

I used Liquid Nails to attach the bead board to the frame.   I have to save every decorating dollar I can with this project and only wanted to buy one package of bead board. When I cut the boards to the height of the tub the excess leftover piece of board wasn’t the right height, I hated to waste it. I didn’t.  Once the baseboard was attached it didn’t matter.

Beadboard-to-the-front

I then attached the baseboard to the front of the frame with Liquid Nails.

How-to-add-molding-around-a

The top board is PVC board guaranteed not to rot.  I used this because I am sure this will get wet every once in a while  when someone doesn’t have the shower curtain closed just right.  The wall is slightly curved and I had to make the cut a bit larger  to fit – nothing a little caulk won’t fix.

Working-with-pvc-board

Here is a breakdown of the parts.  I added the bed molding using finishing nails and Liquid Nails.

Bath tub makeovers

I have been feeling like a carpenter going back and forth between the garage where I have my cheap-O, but trusty table saw set up and the bathroom upstairs. I have also been channeling  Norm Abrams – “measure twice – cut once” “measure twice – cut once” and can honestly say – I did good – only one goof up cut.  Thanks – Norm, I was listening all those years ago when you were on TV.

My-trusty-table-saw

Now it needs caulk and paint, but the most thought consuming part is complete.  I really had to plan on how it was all going to come together – the frame, the rod change, curve in wall, and the top board cut.  I made quite a few trips to Lowes, I am now on a first name basis with the guys in the lumber department.

Bath tub makeover ideas

Here is what the back to the top looks like.    I used a few lines of white waterproof caulk to seal it.  I first used clear, but it ended up looking like Vaseline when it was dry, so I removed it and then used white to match the PVC board.

Bathroom Decorating Ideas

Here is how to add the molding without wrapping it over the top edge-

Bathtub Molding

Photo:  House and Home

Build the frame with 2 x4′s, but stop about an inch or two below the top of the tub. So that when you add the cap/top PVC board (doesn’t have to be PVC) it is slightly lower or flush with the top of the tub. Attach the bead board, bed molding in the same way I did. The cap/top goes on last and sits on top of the frame. There is no need to wrap the top around the tub like I had to do. This installation sits outside the tub itself, but is much wider and takes up floor space. This is the way I planned to do it, but when I actually looked at my tub configuration and where the shower curtain rod would have to be placed it didn’t work as there is a window that would be in the way. I made mine very narrow and made it to go over the top edge of the tub.  Making the frame outside the tub is easier if you have the space.

I got all the materials for this project at Lowes.   I am only telling you that so you know the supplies can be easily obtained. Lowes has no idea that I exist. If Home Depot were closer to my house – you would see them mentioned here instead of Lowes.

If you have any questions, just leave me a comment.  Next up the walls – lots of up and down between the garage and bathroom still  – I am getting my exercise and making it count as each time I go up the stairs I pretend I am on a Stairclimber.  No need for the gym.

Comments

1. Dawn (Ditsy Decor) says

Im in the middle of doing up the kids bathroom and love the idea for along the bath. Im definitely going to give it a go, thanks for the step by step, Im a newbie blogger and im having a few teething problems so reading some of your posts has helped. Please check me out on facebook I could do with some friendly faces to share with :)

2. nancy says

Great looking project, I want to frame in a big old cast iron tub, so it eliminates the oval footprint when installing vinyl flooring. We are saving the tub we like so much…I will consider your hints, please write if you have any. I’m considering making it like a 3-sided box since it is near the wall and creating a “lid” at one end to access the plumbing.

3. Amy says

This is a great idea. I want to do this but I have a shower door. Can I put the shower door over the PVC Board?

Hi Amy – I am not sure about using the PVC board under a shower door. It might be fine since the boards are made for exteriors that face all kinds of weather. In my tub surround, the shower curtain separates the PVC board from the water when taking a shower. It still can get wet when someone does not close the shower curtain all the way – that is why I used it. Can you use tile since it sounds like it is on the floor?

I just love your work…. it inspires me to get busy more quickly on my own ideas. Anyway, just wondered if you’ve ever come up with any ideas on what to do to make a molded tub surround look more updated? I’m just not happy with the molded look. I know I can do the front of the tub itself (one of my “to do’s next”) but is there anything which can be done to the molded part which goes up the wall? Mine is similar to yours and can’t be tiled even if possible because of curves and molded soap dish etc. Could it be trimmed somehow, or batten boards be added…. anything to update it?

Hi Pat -

I don’t know of any treatment that would hide it successfully. Since it gets wet and is curved there is not much you can do. I painted my wall the same color – just so it would blend in. I know Rustoleum has a new product on the market that protects things from water, but that would not deal with the molded look of the tub surround. If I ever think of an idea, I will post about it.

5. Teresa says

Love the work you did. I wanted to ask what you thought I might be able to do using those tiles that come in sheets – used mostly for a back splash. Do you think I could use this method and just use solid board. I would love to place that tile around the tub. Do you think I would need to put something water proof liner behind it and then build the “box on top and attach the tile to that” Thanks so much

Hi Teresa – As long as water will not get behind the tiles – they should be fine. I would draw your plan out on paper to figure it out before starting.the most important part would be to make sure the sides and or underside of the top board is sealed very well. I am not too familiar with tile installations and don’t know if they make a waterproof liner. I would ask at the home improvement store to see what they may have.

6. Kolleen says

This is wonderful! Thanks for referencing “Norm”. I used to watch him all the time and often repeat the phrase, “measure twice, cut once!” Got a good smile out of this!

I precisely needed to thank you so much once again. I do not know the things I might have gone through without the suggestions revealed by you concerning such a theme. It was actually a real difficult problem for me personally, nevertheless considering this expert way you solved it took me to jump with fulfillment. Now i’m happier for this guidance and even believe you really know what a great job that you are undertaking training others through the use of a blog. I’m certain you’ve never come across any of us.

8. Linda says

I am in the process of remodeling my master bath. I have a one-piece shower enclosure (no tub) that had a brass finished glass door on it which wouldn’t come clean so my husband removed it several years ago. With that said, it obviously left some holes and marks on the sides and bottom of the stall. Otherwise, it’s in perfect condition. I saw your blog and how you redid your tub. Awesome, I must say! Would you be able to provide some input as to how I could “trim” my shower stall so I don’t have to replace it? Thanks so much!

9. Tammy says

I see where you used caulking around the PVC board, but how did you attach the board to the top of the tub? Did you use caulking on the bottom of the PVC?

Hi Tammy – The board is attached to the bead board frame in front of the tub. Before I made the bead board frame, I placed the PVC board on top of the tub. I then measured the distance to the floor. This measurement is how high I made the bead board frame. When I placed the PVC board back on, it sits level with the bead board frame. I attached it where the two meet on the front of the tub.

Everything I did to construct this is all attached to the side walls, nothing but caulk is on the actual tub. If I ever had to remove it, there would be no damage done by nails or screws to the tub.

10. Shahid says

its so beautiful design and color selection, its so nice tips and ideas for making dashing and wonderful,