My Favorite Free Fonts

by Diane Henkler on 03/07/2012

I get many emails and comments asking me what font I used in a certain post or in actual projects  – mostly readers want to know about the handwriting fonts.  I decided to create an image with 12 of my favorite fonts on it to share with you.  I recently saw something similar on Pinterest and thought what a great idea and resource for my readers.   I am going to create an FYI page soon to answer all the questions I receive. I will add this to the page so it will be easy to  find for future reference.

My-Favotie-Fonts

Click on the links below to go to the site where you can then download the font to your computer.

1. Monterey BT   2. EcuyerDAX  3. CK Ali’s Hand  4. Traveling Typewriter               5. Peas Our Best Bites  6.  Handwriting Draft                7.  Cursif  8.  Niagara Engraved        9.  Modern No. 20  10. Precious  11. Rechtman  12. Pottery Barn

One of my favorite courses in college was a Type class where we learned all about fonts and type and how to make up our own the old fashioned way… with pen and ink.   I use to address all of my letters to friends and family in fancy scripts I made.  I wish I still had all the lettering books I created the fonts in. I would frame the pages now – instant art.

I remember when I first discovered the world of free fonts. I was like a kid in a candy store.  You have to remember I am a child of the 70′s – you know way back in the stone age.  When I was in college the PC wasn’t invented yet.

Now it is as easy as 1. 2. 3… to have whatever font you desire downloaded to your computer in minutes.

The sites I go to most are:   A-Z Fonts, DaFont, Fonts for Peas, Fontspace,

The nice thing about downloading them to your computer – they will show up in all of your computer programs – Word, Photoshop, etc.

How To Install a Font on Your Computer

If you are new to downloading and installing fonts on your computer  – Here is a step-by-step to walk you through it. It is very easy – so easy you will find yourself downloading many.  I use Windows 7, if you have a different operating system, it may be slightly different.   I included a few directions at the end of the post.  for Window Vista – directions for installing are at the end of this post.

1. Once you get to one of the font sites. I am using dafont .com for this tutorial.  Every font site looks different, but the steps are the same. Find the font, click, install, and then follow your computers prompts.

There will be a main page where you can choose and click on what type of font you are looking for – Fancy, Script, Handwriting, Block , Gothic, etc.

How to install a font

If you click on one of 12 links to the fonts I use – you will be taken directly to that font, not the main page(shown above)

The page you will land on will look like this-

2. I am going to download the font – Stitch It.  Click the download button on the right hand side of the page.

Step by step tutorial on how to install a font

3.  A window will open up from your computer asking if you want to Open with or Save File. Click on the Open with. I leave it in the default.

How to install a free font on a computer

4.  A new window will open and you will see the font listed.  Sometimes there may be a read me file and a few other files, but you want to click on the file that says – True Type or Open Type Font File.  Most of the freebies are one of these.

How to install a free font on a computer

A new window will pop up with the font and all of its sizes.  Click the install button. Your font will now be installed.

How to install a font

To check if it installed correctly, open up your Word processor and pull down the font box and search for the font. If you don’t see it, you may have to download it again.   If you had your word processor open when you downloaded you will have to close it and reopen to refresh. Then check again.

How to install a font

For Windows Vista:

-At the Font site – click download
-Window will open asking – Do you want to OPEN or Save – Choose OPEN.
-Window will pop up
Under browser Bar you will see a bar that has the words – Organize Views  and  Extract All Files – Choose Extract All Files
- Left click – EXTRACT
-A New window will pop open – click Extract near the bottom
-A new window will open with a font file list
-Right click on it – a drop down will appear – Click INSTALL

If you have trouble installing on Vista.  One of my readers wrote to me with the steps that worked for her.  Thanks for sharing – Wylee.

-She dragged the fonts from her downloads file to her desktop.
-She then went to My Computer, and opened the fonts folder.
-Pushed ALT, which made the file button appear.
-Click file and install new font
-Highlight DESKTOP from the drop down that appears, it
automatically found the font, and listed it, so all you have to do is highlight
it – click install.

If you have a different operating system than Windows 7/Vista. Here are the steps .

Unzip the files you have downloaded, then:

• Windows XP: Put the font files into C:\Windows\Fonts
  • Mac OS X: Double-click the font file > “Install font” button

Pin It

1 Nikris Designs March 8, 2012 at 4:27 am

I love FONTS! Thanks so much for sharing the resources. http://www.NikrisDesigns.com

2 Linda March 8, 2012 at 5:00 am

Thanks so much for sharing your favorite fonts ans where to find them. Love the idea of outlining which fonts they are and how they look. And a BIG thank you for sharing your talent.

3 Jabón y Compañía March 8, 2012 at 6:21 am

It’s a very useful information, Diane. Thank you so much!!

4 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions March 8, 2012 at 7:41 am

Thanks for the sites and the tutorial, Diane! I’ve been wanting to search these out. I’m so tired of seeing the same old fonts in my Word and Live Writer programs. I like a lot of the ones you’ve shown above. This post gets saved to my Favorites so I can do it!

5 Diane March 8, 2012 at 8:12 am

Hi Kathy – I love finding new ones. I have only installed free ones, but there are a lot of sites where you can purchase very beautiful fonts. Someday I will splurge.

6 Simple Daisy March 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

AWESOME!!! Thank you:):)

7 Patti Painter March 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Thanks so much for this, found you through Pinterest and I am repinning this on my boards. Great tutorial and love the fonts that are your faves.
hugs….

8 La Miette bricole March 8, 2012 at 9:25 am

Merci pour ce beau travail.
Cela m’a permis de télécharger deux nouvelles polices.
A bientôt, Miette

9 Tess March 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

Yeah! Thanks so much for sharing. Great info.

10 Debra @ Bungalow March 8, 2012 at 10:25 am

Great info. Thanks! I’m definitely saving this.

Help me celebrate moving to wordpress. Come on over and enter giveaway for Cutting Edge stencil.

11 Karen H March 8, 2012 at 10:28 am

Diane, thank you so much for all the fonts! I really appreciated the tutorial on how to download them…. I wasn’t clicking on ‘install’ after I opened the document, so they weren’t installing (I guess it helps to pay attention to what I’m doing!)

Anyway, thanks a million!

12 Angie S March 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for not only sharing where you find neat fonts, but also how to install them!!!

13 Jenna, SAS Interiors March 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Love these fonts Diane – thanks for sharing! xo Jenna

14 Denise March 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thank-you so much for this!

15 Cristy March 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm

“font” caught my eye and what a surprise to land on your blog. You were one of the first I followed when I discovered Pinterest, yet I have never been to your blog. I love your concrete columns.
So as soon as the followers widget corrects itself, I will be following you here too!

16 Thrifty Military Mommy March 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I found you via pinterest and I’m glad I did! I don’t know how to unzip a file, though so it’s not working for me :(. Think you can write a post explaining the process?? Thanks you!

17 MJ March 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

I was really wanted to download free fonts, but I have a new Mac and was afraid of viruses. Have you ever had any trouble after a download? Any sites I should avoid? Thanks.

18 Diane March 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

HI MJ -

I have never has a problem downloading a virus with a font from the sites I use. I have been downloading them for about 2 years now and have downloaded approx 50. On another note – I thought Macs didn’t get viruses? That is what I have always been told – is that just a rumor?

19 Bettsi March 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Thank you! Pinning!

20 Jen March 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the fonts AND how to get them! I’ve struggled a few times with getting them to show in MS Word, but now I’ve got it – thanks to you!

21 Melissa Mead March 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Hi Diane –

Wow – pintrest led me here – what a great find. AND I got the fonts…AND I found other great places. So amazing. I’m looking forward to a good wonder around at your place. Thank you!!

22 Claire March 15, 2012 at 8:56 am

I love a good font and am always looking for more (they’re kind of like accessories for your computer!) Thank you for sharing some of your favourites!

Claire

23 Diane March 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Claire – Accessories for your computer – I like that – cute!

24 Dusti March 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

I love fonts – i just downloaded them.

25 Amy March 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

What a stylish list of free fonts you have complied…and then to go above and beyond to show the novice how to download them. Thanks for a great tutorial and giving my boring fonts a bit more excitement!

26 Carrie March 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for the information! I was always the type to become disgruntled if I couldn’t find a font I liked already loaded in Word, so this is a true treasure to find tonight!

27 Diane March 15, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Hi Carrie – Thanks so much. XO I love fonts and am so happy to share the ones that I have found and use often. Once you download one successfully you will be addicted -to fonts :)

28 NanGreen March 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Yea, I did it. Never thought I was “techy” enough to do that. Thanks

29 Erin March 31, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Hi Diane!

Thank you so much for the great free fonts and the instructions. I attempted to download them tonight, but when I click on the “true type,” the new window that opens only says “Print.” There is not an “Install” button. Would you mind helping me with that, please? Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day!

Thank you!
Erin

30 Louise Fortune April 2, 2012 at 2:19 am

Thanks for the font suggestions – loved this post, I am a font freek and loved typography at uni, when I tell my kids we didn’t have a computer and that I drew everything by hand even all my lettering samples, they look at me like I just told them I walked the earth with the dinosaurs !!

My Mom still has some of my “type” drawings framed around her house

31 Leah April 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

Thanks for sharing these places to go for fun fonts!! For Mac users: just download the font folder to your desktop and drag it into your Font Book (which is located in your Applications folder). Et voila! That easy! :-)

32 Stephanie June 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

so how do I transfer the font to a design program like Gimp?

33 Diane June 5, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hi Stephanie – I am no expert, but I think it has to do with your operating system. I have Window 7 on my computer. When I download a font the way I explain in the post, it goes into my the fonts file on my computer. All the fonts I have show up in every program I open – Word, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. I don’t have to do anything else. I am not familiar with Gimp so I am not sure if there is something different about it. Do the fonts not show up when you click on the font tab/dropdown in Gimp?

34 Sheryll & Critters. April 21, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thank you so much, again, for sharing your genius with us. I have a question, a bit embarressed to ask it. Do you have to have Microsoft Office to download these fonts? My old Microsoft Office 97 Professional Version will NOT install on this puter…… it will not accept the key. Guess it is just too blasted old…. lol. I so very much want to use these to make name tags. I have recently reconnected with a lot of high school classmates and we have a multi year luncheon every first Wednesday of each month and I would so love to make some and tell them about these free fonts. Help and thank you.

35 Kathryn Derr April 26, 2012 at 5:02 am

I’m trying to download Rechtman faunt but I can’t control to open in my windows default and it comes out as jibberish and isn’t on my font list at all. What am I doing wrong???

36 Kathryn Derr April 26, 2012 at 6:02 am

Now I’ve lost my pottery barn font! It’s not giving me the option to open in my windows explorer.????

37 Sarah May 25, 2012 at 12:35 am

I have such a hard time w/ my computer :( I download, open the document, but it only offers me the ‘print’ button, and not the ‘install’ button you show in your tutorial. Any suggestions?? Thank you!

Help!

38 Diane May 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

hi Sarah – What operating system are you using? Windows 7, Vista, or a Mac?

39 Sarah May 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Windows 7……I finally figured it out, but it was a hassle. For some reason I didn’t have that little ‘install’ button (still don’t), so I had to spend a long time figuring it out. Any tips?

40 Kacie June 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Sarah, how did you end up being able to install the fonts? I have Windows XP and I’m only showing Print and Done but not Install.

Thanks!

41 marlene lucero June 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

thanks I will try this when I have more time

42 Diana W. June 16, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I have a question for you if I could. I have windows vista and when I click on one of the fonts and download it, the only file it is is the one with the fonts in different sizes but it only says done and print, not install. I tried what you said about vistas, and tried that but only the normal right-click list pops up. The file isn’t zipped either and I’m using google chrome, I wasn’t sure if either of those would be an issue. Thank you for your help. It’s very much appreciated :)

43 Diane June 16, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hi Diana -

The browser you use may change the way you have to download the fonts. It could have something to do with Chrome and Vista. I just tried it on Chrome and Windows 7. On the font site, I hit download. Next I saw the download screen appear at the bottom left of my screen. I clicked on that and then a window with the file popped up. I right clicked on the file and a new screen opened and I clicked OPEN. Then install. I don’t have Vista, but I am sure you are so close. It is just a matter of right clicking when the file opens. Try it a few different ways until you get it. So sorry I am not an expert with computers. I wish I was. :) Perhaps do a Google search for downloading fonts using Chrome/Vista.

44 Diana W. June 16, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely try that :)

45 Kay June 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Hi. Thanks for this info. I scrapbook and these will help with my journaling. One question: I can’t get the Peas our Best Bites (5) link to work. It takes me to another blog and I can’t figure out how to download the font. Thanks!

46 Diane June 29, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Hi Kay – the link will take you to the sit – Kevin and Amanda. It is the right link. When you land on the page that the link takes you to – scroll down to the bottom – click on the round button that says download all. When the file window opens with a list of all the fonts – highlight and click on Our Best Bites to download the font. If you want to download all of the fonts that are included in the download then highlight all of them to install all.

Let me know if this helps.

47 Meg July 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hi, when I open it gives me the print option but not the download option. Any idea why?

48 Diane July 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hi Meg- What browser are you using? Each one is configured differently as well as your individual computer. I use Firefox with Windows. Let me know and I will see if I can figure out what you need to do.

49 kim July 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi ! I just bought an Ecraft personal cutter and i can cut with SVG files downloaded to my computer. How do I convert these to SCG files??

50 Sandy Kendall July 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thanks so much for including Vista directions. I’ve had problems downloading fonts because of the last step: right clicking to install. So happy to have this tutorial! Thanks again!

51 Connie McCallum July 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Just found this on Pinterest! Thank you so much I am in love with Ecuyer
Dax. So glad I found it!!

52 Lauralee L. September 4, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thank you for the great Fonts! Just wanted to say that the Niagara Engraved is not free anymore it is $40. If you find a way to get it free again please let me know. Thanks!!

53 Teresa September 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I just downloaded the font KK Monogram. Is there a trick to being able to do the middle initial large and the two on each side smaller but “centered” beside the middle larger initial? I can do all level on the same line but not like in the picture example of the fonts.

54 Heather September 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thank you!!!

55 Inspire Me Heather October 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

Nice fonts, they are beautiful! I went and got Travelling Typewriter and the Pottery Barn one, thanks to your tutorial! I have this linked to my fonts post as well today, rounding up the best free fonts!

56 Elizabeth October 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi! I’m yet another Pinterest addict that made my way here and I just have to say, “Thank You!” I’m am sooooo excited to download fonts and experiment with some of my projects!

57 Shelley Fosse November 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Holy moly you have made my day!

58 kkrsnee mohmed bsheer December 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

really very nice web side its different .magic touch of pure artist .it worth looking to it .

59 Teigan December 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Are there different instructions for downloading a font onto a computer with Windows 8?

60 Sara @ Our Best Bites January 11, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I pinned this a long time ago and just now realized my own handwriting font is on there! lol Fun to see it in a favorites list :)

61 Diane Henkler January 11, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hi Sara – I love your handwriting! Your font was the first font I ever downloaded. I saw today that Amanda posted a bunch of new handwriting fonts. It is so cool how she can make them.

62 Marcy January 16, 2013 at 8:32 am

Thanks for the fonts. I added them to my collection.

63 sona February 22, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Wondering if you know where i can make online, a font of my own handwriting that is a safe site?

64 Diane Henkler February 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Hi Sona – KevinandAmanda.com/fonts may still do it, but I am not sure. They have a page called Fonts for Peas. It is totally safe. I think you can submit your handwriting there. If not, Amanda might know of a safe site.

65 Robyn April 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Love your tutorial and it’s worked on every font I have downloaded except for the one I really, really want!! I cannot get Monogram KK to download. I have Windows 7. Anyone else having the same problem?

66 Diane Henkler April 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi Robyn – I have Windows 7 and just tried to download it again, it worked fine. Not sure what is causing the problem for you. Could be a million different things. Are you clicking Open when the Open or Save box appears in your browser? What happens when you click download?

67 Donna July 15, 2013 at 9:34 pm

First of all, I LOVE your site!! I have spent a few hours just browsing around and will be back again!!

I will admit that I have a problem….I’m a fontaholic!!! The problem started many years ago when I first started teaching and wanted to make the heading of my third grade newsletters interesting and fun!! I’ve tried to quit collecting but just can’t seem to stop! :)

I thought you might want to know that the link to the first font, Monterey BT, links to an error message. I read through the comments and didn’t see that any one has written. The font is on the A-Z website after I did a search for it. I also figured out that “Monterey” is misspelled in the link…(thought I’d help solve the mystery).

Your font list had beautiful fonts on it. I’m looking forward to looking at your other lists.

Wishing you a great day,
Donna

68 Diane Henkler July 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Hi Donna – Thanks for taking the time to tell me the link is broken. I will get it fixed. I am a fontaholic, too!

69 Jennifer July 28, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Hi-
Love your site. I’m trying to make stationary for my daughter. I downloaded the font I wanted but I don’t know how to make the letters overlap. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks!
Jennifer

70 Diane Henkler July 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hi Jennifer – If you have Microsoft Word, MS Publisher, Photoshop or most publishing programs. Each letter needs to be placed in it’s own text box or layer so you can move them around separately on the page. I wrote a post about hoe to do in using MS Word here : http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/03/how-to-create-a-monogram-using-microsoft-word.html

71 annappa November 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm

72 Rachel November 24, 2013 at 4:18 am

Hi Diane, I’ve just come accross your post, I love Da Font and I’ve found pently of great fonts to use for my blog. Thanks for sharing. Rachel

73 Sheila December 19, 2013 at 10:27 am

I found your blog when I Googled “free monogram fonts”. Your bio about how you can’t add to save your life made me laugh. I think we may have been cut from the same cloth. I dream about and think about making pretty things all the time and if I would probably spend hours messing with letters on my computer to make a monogram font. I don’t have that time today so I am using your method to cheat! Thank you for your tips! I’m excited to have found your blog and I know I will love following it! Fun stuff!!

74 Rosalind February 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

It’s amazing to pay a quick visit this web site and reading
the views of all mates about this post, while I am also keen of
getting familiarity.

75 SusanM February 7, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thank you very much for sharing these fonts, they are great!
You really have a beautiful blog I love every single one of your posts!

76 Amy February 13, 2014 at 7:22 am

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for all the info!

77 Sharon February 13, 2014 at 11:34 am

I am using Window 8.1 and need help downloading kkmonogram from dafont.com. Could you help with directions?

78 Diane Henkler February 13, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Hi Sharon – I am not familiar with that version of Windows, but take a look at this YouTube Video. It should help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7c4gLwxCG4

79 criminal justice lawyer April 19, 2014 at 5:21 am

Excellent post. I wass checking constantly tthis blog and I’m impressed!
Extremely helpful info specifically the last part :
) I care for such info much. I wwas looking for
this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.