Wrapping Presents In Elegant Ease

by Diane Henkler on 12/21/2012

I am almost at the finish line to Christmas – having completed wrapping all the gifts I bought to give this year, I feel I can now sit back and enjoy the holidays.

Holiday-gift-wrap-Ideas

I enjoy wrapping presents and have pinned a lot of creative gift wrap ideas on Pinterest, but when it comes down to actually doing the wrapping – I like simple, fast, and easy.  I also have a Pin board filled with free printable gift tags – they are so pretty and creative, but by the time I print them, I use up expensive printer ink – they are no longer free, I like to recycle, reuse, and repurpose instead.

I worked for Nordstrom’s one Christmas many years ago.   They kept all the holiday décor simple. It was what I call, elegantly simple or simply elegant.  Either way you look at it  – it was beautiful.  They used tulle for gift box bows and since then, I have used tulle as a fast and elegant way to embellish a gift.

Tulle-Ribbon-for-Making-gif

Tulle comes in so many different colors and is inexpensive – $2 a roll.  Recently at the craft store I found some with sparkly glitter.

Gift-wrapping-tips-and-tric

I bought it in a few colors since I think a little sparkle always looks right for the holidays.

Gift-Wrap-and-Craft-Room

I gathered all my gift wrapping supplies on my work table and started wrapping. Having set up a gift wrapping wall in my studioffice this summer also makes wrapping a gift much easier.

As you can see on the flat package above – a small piece of tulle packs a lot of punch.

Easy-and-Elegant-Gift-wrap-

I also like to use satin ribbon – it looks so elegant.  I look for it on sale and have been lucky to find a few rolls of emerald green at my local thrift store for 95 cents a roll.

Creative-gift-wrap-ideas

I use all sorts of leftover ribbon and snippets of pretty items that I have accumulated over the past year to embellish the tulle or satin ribbon.  Vintage looking pins and earrings are perfect for embellishing bows.  I find them in the bargain bins at the craft store and at thrift stores.  I think they make a gift look extra special – as do jingle bells.   I hot glue the pins on and thread the jingle bells through the ribbon or yarn.

How-to-make-gift-tags

I also save all the Christmas cards I get each year.

Ideas-for-using-old-Christm

I cut out the designs, words, or images that I like and punch a hole in them to use as free gift tags.  Reuse, repurpose, and recycle at its best.  Some of the cards are just too pretty or cute to throw away.

Easy-Giftwrap-Idea

I try to match the cut out image to the gift or the recipient’s personality.  This Santa is for my dad.

Used-Greeting-card-craft-id

and this adorable Santa cat is for my sister’s gift  I write  To: and From:  on the back of the cut out images.

Gift-wrap-ideas-with-tulle

This Who-ville style tree had a stem and urn as part of the illustration on the card, but I cut them off as the tree has more impact by itself.

White or solid color paper makes these repurposed tags the focus – paired with the sparkly tulle makes an elegantly simple presentation.

Inexpensive-Holiday-Gift-Wr

When cutting out your images, always cut out an extra part of the card around the image to make the hole.   Thread the tag onto the ribbon right before you start to make the loops for the bow.

Wrapping-with-scraps-of-rib

Since satin ribbon is a little more expensive, I use every scrap.  It is fun coming up with ways to use the smallest pieces. Here I wrapped a small piece around a small box.  I used tape to secure the ends.

How-to-tie-a-bow-with-ribbo

I then took a piece of tulle and placed it under the satin ribbon and made a bow with it. This hides the tape and creates a box that anyone would be delighted in receiving.

Thrifty-Gift-wrapping-Ideas

Add a tag and it is ready to go.

No-gift-tag-idea

On some gifts, I don’t use gift tags. I use white stickers on the underside of the box and just write the recipient’s name.

Holiday-Bokeh

Experimenting with a little bokeh…  I took this sitting at one end of my desk this afternoon after I was finished wrapping.

Have you finished wrapping yet?  What is your favorite way to wrap the gifts you give?

My writing elsewhere this week:

For an idea on how to display new Christmas Cards in a fun and festive way check out my new post over on Momtastic – DIY Christmas Card Holder

Here is a little peek:

How-to-display-Christmas-Ca

Pin It

1 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions December 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Your gifts look beautiful, Diane! Love the idea of using tulle. I’m going to have to pick up various colors when I see them. I never seem to find such pretty bling at my thrift stores. I’ll have to start checking yard sales, I think. Love your recycled tags from Christmas cards. You’re right about printing out the free ones. I’ll be saving all my Christmas cards this year for next year’s tags! Merry Christmas!

2 Patty December 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I love to wrap gifts! I only use bags when the gift is too awkward and will work best with a bag (or if I’m in a time crunch). I like your idea of tulle because it will travel well without squishing out of shape. Ok, and I’m going to save my cards from now on….thanks for the ‘how to’ tips on using them!

3 Gina December 22, 2012 at 12:11 am

How absolutely smart you are and so kind to share with us out here In blog land. Merry Christmas! I pray you are blessed in return!

4 Athena at Minerva's Garden December 22, 2012 at 2:46 am

Wow–these gift wraps are gorgeous, Diane. I am a sucker for satin ribbon, too! The idea of using tulle is very pretty and one I will use in the future.

5 Jackie Bowen December 22, 2012 at 8:00 am

These are wonderful, Diane, and best of all, doable! Thank you for continuing to contribute beauty to our lives, even at this hectic time. I was having a lower moment this morning and this has perked me up and refocused where I want to be. Merry Christmas!

6 Margaret December 22, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hi Diane,

I wrap my gifts in much the same way you do – I love using leftover Christmas cards for gift tags, matching them to the package wrap, etc. One difference… years ago, my mom sewed up numerous reusable Christmas gift bags in various shapes and sizes. She used a variety of Christmas prints and lush-looking fabrics. I use and re-use these, so I seldom use paper gift wrap any longer. You gifts are beautiful, however – very stylish!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

7 GinaE December 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

Diane, your presents look so pretty! I am going to use that jewerly idea from now on. Your blog is one of my favorites…you have such great style. Everything you do is so classy. Oh, and tell your husband I made his eggs benedict this morning. We love his recipe! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

8 Cheryl B. December 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Diane, I’m always excited to see your email in my box! The sun is shining on fresh snow here today, and your beautiful pictured ideas are making the morning even brighter.

Many wishes to all for happy and safe holidays.

9 Vicki V December 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I never, ever get tired of your blog. Everything that you do is so well done. You could definitely give Martha a run for her money. Merry Christmas, Diane! :)

10 Tammy December 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

These are just too pretty to unwrap! How lovely :)
Merry Christmas!!!

11 Kim T December 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

These are fantastic! How do you cut the ends of the tulle to make them look so finished? I’m all thumbs when it comes to bows, but these look doable/promising.
Just love your blog, appreciate how thoroughly you explain/photograph each step!
Thanks!

12 Ellie December 23, 2012 at 10:40 am

I use one of my mom’s old pins (she died in ’91) as an ornament. It’s a favorite, and adds to the other memories I have of her on my tree.

The top photo with the package of the aqua bow is quite similar.

13 denyse@crazy beautiful life December 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Diane, I just love these gift wrap ideas. I had to go pin a couple of them.

I’m having a PINTEREST Social hop. I’d love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your Pinterest. If you don’t have Pinterest it’s ok, come link up your blog.

I’m also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week beginning in January. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

Have a crazy beautiful week!

14 Patti December 24, 2012 at 7:00 am

I too, cut up my Christmas cards this year for gift tags. My husband looked in the card pile as laughed that there were no fronts to the cards. I wished I would have thought of this years ago. Such a great and simple idea to recycle and repurposed. Merry Christmas!

15 Barbara @ DIY Home Staging Tips December 25, 2012 at 9:27 am

Another lovely and helpful post. Thank you, Diane.

I’ve used tulle as well. I always keep white on hand because it seems suitable year ’round — birthdays, weddings, graduations, anniversaries, whatever. I also use it to “top-stuff” a gift that’s in a paper gift bag, the kind with handles. I can never get tissue paper to look good as a “top-stuffer,” but with tulle, it’s easy and can be recycled by the recipient. I am sure you have the real name for what “top-stuffer” is!

I like satin ribbon and I like grosgrain as well. I also keep pipe cleaners on hand to add to a bow. I shape them around a pencil first to make “spiral whiskers.”

Love all your ideas. Merry Christmas!

16 Rick December 27, 2012 at 5:34 am

I’ve got to say, I hate wrapping and the finished product is seldom satisfactory, however your simple ideas should really help me look more professional.

17 Ananasa August 27, 2013 at 6:46 am

Definitely wrapping in Elegance. Absolutely Gorgeous for all season too!
We thank you for your amazing creativity and inspiration!

18 eric cortes November 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I like your who-ville style image. This would be perfect for the project that I’m currently working on. I’d like to ask for your permission to allow me to use this image. Thanks and best regards.