Everyone loves bacon. Why not serve these Spiced Bacon Skewers to your guests. They are a perfect cocktail food as guests can easily hold and eat them using one hand, while holding their drink in the other.
I enjoy entertaining family and friends and this Spiced Bacon Skewer recipe is a crowd pleaser. One of those recipes that you should have printed out so when you get asked for the recipe, you will have it at the ready.
Spiced Bacon Skewer Recipe
Don’t they look delish? They are.
With our recent move, Christmas and New Year’s Eve are going to be the first occasions Ed and I get to celebrate in our new house. I still have so much unpacking and organizing to do, but ringing in the new year is quite fitting since we are literally getting a fresh start in a new home, town, and state. We have lots to celebrate and want to enjoy all the holiday season has to offer.
I prefer spending New Year’s Eve cozy at home and keeping it casual.
Instead of serving a big meal for New Year’s, I like to serve finger food since it keeps things easy. I am all about casual entertaining style and picked up some festive gold and white paper goods for our NYE-at-home celebration that are perfect for serving finger food all evening and all day while watching bowl games on TV.
When I was unpacking moving boxes in the kitchen, I became aware of many things, but two that stuck out. The first was a recipe for Spiced Bacon. I had misplaced it and forgotten all about it. It fell out of a cookbook I was unpacking, nothing like a move to get things sadly lost, but on the other end…happily found :-)
I decided that the Spiced Bacon Skewers will be one item on the menu to ring in 2016. Ed enjoyed the fact that he got to preview them for this post. He is always happy to help out when bacon and champagne are involved.
Our new house has a small kitchen and no dining room. I had to get creative when setting up the living room for entertaining purposes.
The furniture from our previous home is taking on new roles in this one. For instance this small white dresser that was in my bedroom, has now become a side table in the living room.
With the addition of a festive rectangular tray, and glass ice bucket the dresser, now table, easily transforms into a bar when needed. I staged it to see if my idea would work and everything fit perfectly. Time to party!
How to Make Spiced Bacon Skewers
These are very easy to make. Printable recipe is below.
- Skewer each slice of bacon.
2. Shake each skewered slice in sugar mixture.
3. Lay on a foiled lined baking sheet and oiled rack.
SPICED BACON SKEWERS
- 15 - 20 wooden skewers If using wooden, soak in water 30 minutes
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 pound applewood-smoked thick-cut bacon Excess fat trimmed from short ends
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and place on top of baking sheet.
- Put brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg and cloves in a resealable plastic bag. Shake bag well to mix ingredients.
- Thread 1 slice of bacon onto each skewer like ribbon candy. Don’t push bacon together too closely or bacon won’t cook evenly.
- Dip each bacon skewer into plastic bag with sugar mixture, making sure to coat both sides well.
- Lay each skewer on rack.
- Sprinkle skewers with any remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until bacon is brown and crisp, turning skewers after 12-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
How do you like to ring in the new year? Are you a cozy-at-home party lover or do you like to go all out on the town? Do you think your guests will enjoy these Spiced Bacon Skewers?