Today I am sharing my most asked for recipe. It has become a friends and family favorite recipe that I bring to a potluck style outdoor picnic barbecue or even to a sit down dinner. It is called Savoy Cabbage salad and is quite a crowd pleaser.
It is by far the most asked-for recipe in my recipe box.
I first tasted this Savoy Cabbage salad when my friend Tara brought it to a neighborhood gathering many years ago. Ed and I loved it and so did my daughters – they were pre-teens at the time. I asked Tara for the recipe since it would be a way to get more greens into their diet.
Tara worked for the GAP (clothing store) at the time and had written the recipe for me on paper with the GAP logo on it. That paper went right into my recipe box and for years that is what it stayed on. I never transferred it to a recipe card. The salad fondly became known as “GAP Salad” in my house.
For many years, when my daughters or I would made it to take to a picnic or party – we also took a few copies of the recipe, knowing in advance – someone would ask for it. All through their high school and college years this is what their friends always requested they bring to every gathering where food was needed. It is also what my family, friends, and co-workers always ask me to bring when we get together and I happily oblige, as it is fast and easy to make. No doubt – it is a crowd pleaser!
Savoy Cabbage Salad Recipe – A Crowd Pleaser
- 1 head savoy cabbage chopped
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 package Ramen noodle soup – chicken flavor
- 1- 2 oz. pkg. Sesame seeds or slivered almonds – I have added both to one salad.
- 6 Tablespoons Nakano Roasted Garlic Rice Wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup oil
- Ramen noodle chicken flavor packet
- Break up Ramen Noodles on a cookie sheet with sesame seeds and/or almonds. Bake at 325° degrees until a very light golden color. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Chop the cabbage into strips and then again crosswise to create bite-size pieces.
- Chop the scallions.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a jar and shake well.
- Right before serving: Mix all the ingredients together and toss until it is mixed well.
If you make and take this to a gathering of friends and family – be prepared. Make a few copies of the recipe, I guarantee you are going to be asked for it.