My Craft Cabinet: Up Close and Personal

Happy weekend everyone.   I have a fun post for you today, one that many of you have been asking me about since I started blogging.  I have posted about the big armoire in my studioffice before, but today I am going to show you it – up close and personal.  A detailed peek inside to show you some of the stuff I keep on-hand so I can create just about anything I need quickly.

Craft-supply-storage-ideas

I call it my craft cabinet or my own little craft store in my house. I have been creating for many years and have collected lots of goodies to use in my projects – most of it I store in this armoire. I feel blessed to have a space like this and the entire room devoted to what I do. Since I am a full-time creative blogger – I need this stuff handy to produce the amount of projects I do. It is where I spend 90% of my time.

The armoire was painted orange when it was handed down from Ed’s parents to us when we were married.  We used it as a food pantry in our first house. The next house we lived in, it became the bar since we entertained a lot.  For our next house I painted it the color it still is when it became– my clothes closet.  There is a photo of it in my book, Instant Decorating when it took on that identity.     When we moved to our current home, it became my craft closet.

Crafts-Cabinet-Storage-Organization-Ideas

It is truly a unique piece.  It is just short of 8-feet tall and is on wheels – which makes it fairly easy to move. It is 56-inches wide and 17-inches deep.  It is not one solid piece, but comes apart like a puzzle.  The top, doors, and drawers are the only parts of it that stay intact.  When we moved it to this house the moving company had a specialist. He came a few days after the move and put it back together again. Better than Ed or I ever did when it was up to us to put it back together in previous moves.

In-My-Own-Style-Blog-Desk

I have it on the far wall in the room so it is the focal point.  My desk is placed in front of it.  My desk chair swivels around so I have easy access to it even when I am sitting down.  To open it you need a skeleton key. It was lost once and we had a hard time finding another key that would work. We finally did find one -I have the key on a big ribbon tassel now so I won’t lose it again.

Craft-Room-Organization-Ideas

It took me a few years to reach this level of organization and I am forever tweaking it.  I used to make jewelry and have many beads and buttons in all those little drawers.   I keep my sewing supplies, ribbons, spray paints, glues, cutters, crafting materials – like glitter, tape, tools, and lots of little junk that is nice to have on hand, so I don’t have to keep running out to the craft store.

How-to-organize-a-craft-room

Most of my sewing supplies I received from my mother-in-law and my mom. I have only had to buy white and black thread since I have been married.  I have the most used colors on the door – more are in the boxes on the top shelf next to the big spools of ribbon.    The card above the thread racks is a guide to button and bead sizes. Comes in handy every now and then – so I keep it.  I like to draw and attached a few of my favorite drawings to the door.

Crafts-Closet-Organization

A good portion of the thread is old with price tags of 35 cents.  Some even came from stores or companies that no longer exist.

ribbons

I keep some ribbons in a long basket along the front of one shelf.

Ribbon-Storage-Ideas

The rest of the spools of ribbon are on tension rods. If you want to see how I did this – you can read about it in this post: Crafts Closet -How To Organize Ribbon

How-to-organize-and-store-rolls-of-ribbon

I keep curling ribbon to the back. I search for all types of ribbon at thrift shops. The green spool was a recent find –an unopened full spool for 5o cents.

Drawer-organizing-tips

On the shelves below the ribbon are drawers filled with beads and little bits and bobs.

small-object-organization-ideas

These little drawer storage units are the best for organizing lots of small items. I found three at a garage sale and bought two at Sears.

Storge-Ideas-for-a-Home-Office

On the side of the bead storage, I have folders filled with laminating sheets, transfer paper, magnet sheets, vellum, and cardboard.

Craft-supply-storage-ideas

If you look closely on the top inside of the door you can see the paint has peeled and the original orange color is exposed.  It is going to get a new coat of paint soon.

One of my recent advertisers – PopMount.com sent me one of their items they make and sell with my logo on it.  It fits nicely on the door above my Dremel tool bits that my husband bought me one year for Christmas. He got it at Costco.  I will never need any new bits  – I have enough for a lifetime.   I made the ribbon bulletin board initially for my kitchen, but moved it here.  I just cleaned it off for the new year. I use it to keep a supplies needed list and other info about the products I use.  One set of drawers holds all types of scissors and cutting tools, another – tapes, glue, and all sorts of wire.   I store my hot knife, Styrocutter, and extra glue guns in large tin cans. Oh! and a BIG magnifying glass for my eyes that can no longer read the fine print on anything.

Craft-Supply-Storage-and-Organization-Ideas

The top of the right side holds the spray paints I use most, Mod Podge, Spray Glue and other frequently used products.

Command-Brand-Clear-Damage-Free-Hanging-Caddy

Since the wall separating the two sides of the cabinet is thin, I can’t put any nails in it to hold stuff up. Command Brand sells clear caddies that are hung with the no-damage picture hanging strips.  I have two caddies to hold tape -Glue dots, florist tape, electrical, double sided tacky, and specialty tape.

How-to-organize-tips-and-ideas

I place big rolls of duct tape on an old paper towel holder.

Storage-Ideas-for-Crafters

I am not a collector of many things, but do have a weakness for vintage clip-on earrings. I love them and can never seem to pass them by when I am out and about at flea markets and thrift stores. I have them organized by color.  I add them to gift wrap, decorate, and make many things with them. You can find out how in this post – Clipping Some Style Around the House.

Storage-ideas-for-sewing-and-craft-rooms

There are two drawers down under.

Craft-Room-Organization-Tips

One holds mostly sewing machine supplies, Heat N’Bond, clear contact paper, vinyl sheets, and embossing supplies.

Ribbon-storage ideas not to do

The other drawer is stuffed with scraps of ribbon, which often come in handy.

Storage-Box-Ideas

I have two very personal items in the armoire that I love and will never part with. One is the Whitman’s Chocolate box.  It was from my Mom’s craft supply cabinet. She was super creative and had it for years. When she died and my sisters and I were going through her stuff -this meant more to me than most of the things that had a monetary value.  I feel like it is such a part of who she was.  I smile every time I see it.

Pin-Cushion

The other item that is extra-special to me is my pin cushion. It is one of those only-a-mom-would-love items.  My oldest daughter made this for me when she was 5 years old.  I was writing my book, Instant Decorating and was at the sewing machine a lot. To keep her happy, I used to give her scraps of stuff to play with.  She didn’t know how to sew, but asked me to make a pin cushion for her out of a pink fabric scrap.  I quickly sewed her a little square and stuffed it with batting. Little did I know it was going to be a gift for me. She then drew me on it with magic marker sitting at the sewing machine along with a heart in each corner.  What looks like a waterfall on top of my head is my hair with a part in it.  It is just one of those things our kids do for us that make you want to hug and kiss them all up.

I hope you enjoyed the little peek inside a part of my world.

Comments

First of all, what a stunning piece of furniture this is, Diane! I am so glad that you have been able to rework it into your home from the pantry to your craft supplies. You are so organized! It looks like you are using every inch of the space and in such a smart way. Love it! Thanks for sharing an in-depth look! : )

2. Stephanie says

Gorgeous. You would make an excellent Art teacher. Have you ever considered teaching?

3. Andrea says

I absolutely have loved seeing your craft room and storage. I have an amoire just like yours….mine has not been painted….but mine is also quite a storage center….wrapping paper, school supplies, craft supplies….but I love the extent to which you have utalized all the space in yours. I also have never considered painting mine. Maybe I will?!

4. Julie says

That was so fun, Diane! I think I am more enthralled with craft and sewing supplies than actually sewing or crafting. Just opening the doors of the armoire would lift my spirits! All the possibilities! I have a much smaller one in my craft/office/dining room and it looks pretty pathetic compared to yours. You’ve given me some good ideas though. I was glad to see your bottom ribbon stash. It made me feel better about my hoarding every little bit of ribbon and scrape fabric.

Thanks for the great tour Diane. I am forever reorganizing and I always find your tips helpful.
    Such a pretty room!

6. Dana says

I cannot look at this! I am amazed and really need to work on my own stuff. Goodness, this is truly amazing….

7. Pilar says

Wooooww! I can’t say anything but… have you planned to adopt a spanish woman? I am very tiny…

Congratulations, it is really awesome!

8. Becki says

Thank you so much for sharing your craft storage! What a wonderful piece of furniture and you’ve utilized every inch of it! I’m working on my craft storage and I’m inspired by what you’ve done.

I so enjoyed reading about each little bit and piece of your craft storage armoire. Excellent, perfect piece of furniture . . . will it be the same color when it is repainted?

Your memory Whitman Sampler box and pin cushion are priceless, best are the treasures from those we love.

You are one of my “In Style Idea Makers.” Blogland inspiration, indeed. Happy days of creating in 2013 . . .

That cabinet is fantastic. What’s even more fantastic is that it was a family gift. Those are the best! Like the chocolate box and the pin cushion…priceless!

Love seeing all your wonderful ideas and what a gift you have with that armoire. If you can answer 2 questions for me, the flowers that are on your desk (look like peonies), are those silk or real? They add such a nice touch on your desk. The other question, what kind of camera do you use? Your photos have such a nice quality. I’m looking for a better camera than what I have now, but don’t want a super expensive one. Thanks so much for sharing your home and great ideas.

Hi Beth – The flowers on my desk are fake peonies. I wish I could have real ones, but that only happens a few weeks out of the year. It took me a long time to find ones that I liked – that were a nice color pink without being too washed out or had too much red in them. I got them at Michaels.

The camera I use is a Canon 60D. I have learned a lot about photography and cameras since starting my blog and still have a lot to learn. I think the camera is important, but the lenses you use are even more important. I use Prime lenses (no zoom) that are f.2.8 or lower. They really allow so much more light to get into the camera and can produce the creamy background effect that looks so nice. My favorite lens is a Canon 1.4 50mm lens.

I have also found that the way to get really good photos no matter what camera or lens you are using is to take the photos when the light is just right. I have found in my house, I get the best shots on sunny days between 2pm and 5pm in the winter and until about 7pm in the summer. If it is a cloudy day or I can’t take photos at the perfect time – I don’t get the shots I want. It all takes some trial and error and the best possible light you can get.

12. Bonnie Schulte says

I enjoyed looking at your art storage Armoire so much, and was sad when your post ended. What great ideas, you are an inspiration to me, to get my art supplies organized. Your mom’s Whitman candy box, made me smile, as my mom had one also, that she kept some photos, postcards, and letters and such in. What fond memories. And the cute little pin cushion is so adorable. Your armoire has certainly served you well over the years, and the best, I would guess, is the wonderful job it now does for you. thanks so much for sharing

That armoire is beautiful and you have obviously gotten many years of use out of it. It still looks great and hold plenty of goodies!!! I need to get my craft “stuff” organized. Right now its kind of all over!

14. elizabeth says

Your gorgeous craft closet is more organized and cram packed than my whole art room! If only you could come over and help me organize, :) –
    I used to live in Ardmore and Philly and I’d like to think that we would be friends if I still did. Your ideas are great and your colors are luscious and your style is fab.

15. Debbie says

hi Diane, enjoy your blog so much, it is lovely. I’m organizing my sewing room and just got a small armoire to fill up with all my little goodies. What a process!But it feels good to clean and organize! I’m following you on Pinterest too. Have a blessed week.
    Debbie

What a special post! I love pieces that have special memories associated with them and the stories that make those memories so rich. …right down to your mom’s chocolates’ box. Thanks for sharing this Diane….it’s such a personal part of your life. Oh the creativity!!
    Blessings!

Complete and utter awesomeness!!!! I love how organized you made this beautiful cabinet! I’m on the lookout for one to store all of my crafty treasures in. The search continues….. lol Thanks for the inspiration and great ideas! :)

18. Faye says

Thanks so much for a look at real craft storage.
    You always inspire! Things I noticed about your armoire:
    Lots of tiny drawers keep items accessible!
    Ribbon storage is best when you can reel it off as you need it.
    And if you can’t see it, you probably won’t use it!
    Love that you keep scraps, as well as some special treasures.
    All crafters would love to be this organized.

19. Marty says

I am in awe.

I also think I may have discovered why I’m not seeing all your IMOS posts on my FB wall. Could it be because you are posting on IMOS as Diane part of the time and part of the time as IMOS? I always chase down your posts, but I’d done everything I could think of to be sure they showed up, but perhaps I missed that?

Hi Marty – I have two facebook accts. One is my personal one – Diane Henkler and the other is my page – In My Own Style. I post the same things to both accts – one right after the other every time I add a new post to my blog. I use my logo in both – not my photo. I am not that in the know about facebook and all the changes, but I know sometimes you have to change the notifications on your account so that you see the posts you want to. I think it is on the upper right hand side on your wall or home page under notifications.

• Marty says

Shoots down that theory. I thought I had solved the riddle.

I have been puzzled because I have jumped through every hoop there is to insure I see all your FB posts. I never miss any of your blog posts (ever!), but not because I always see them in my FB feed. It’s just weird that I don’t have the same issue with other bloggers I follow on FB. Well, if I do, I don’t know about it. :-)

20. Nancy Carr says

I could actually accomplish something if I were as organized as you. You can come visit me anytime.

21. Tiffany says

Thanks for sharing! Anytime I see a collection of. Raft goods, my heart goes pitter – patter!

22. Fran Marie says

That is one of THE most impressive pieces of furniture and it’s use I have ever seen!

Hi Fran – When my husband and I were first married we inherited lots of furniture from my his family. He was an only child and so were both of his parents. They had a lot of stuff handed down through the generations. It was hard saying no to some of the items that they were giving us that were not my style, but when I saw the armoire- I answered with a big – YES, we would love that! :)

23. Marie says

I love your office/ craft room. Where did you get your white desk table ? I have been looking for one like that.

Hi, Diane

I love this idea and once again I am going to invest in a pieces similar to your. Thanks for sharing. You rock!

Hugs,

Vanessa

I love the stories behind your craft items, especially the one about your mom and daughter. It’s funny that you mentioned your book “Instant Decorating” because I just bought the last (or one of the last copies) from Amazon.com. I’m having it shipped with some chewable vitamins. I hate to swallow vitamins after taking all my meds.

Hi Katharine – You are so sweet – buying my book XOXO! I am not sure how many copies are still out there. I only have a few left myself. I hope the vitamins come in yummy flavors to make it even easier to take them. Enjoy your weekend.

26. Sheryll & Critters. says

I love your entire house and I can’t have most of the stuff I love, I am dreaming of this desk and craft cabinet. My mind just whirls and whirls everytime I read your posts.

27. Way Yong says

I love how you organise your craft room. I have just moved in my new house and in the midst of organiser my craft room. I love your craft cart, craft closet, ribbon tension rod and all your ideas. I think I am going to keep the small book rack that was supposed to throw and turn it into a craft cart!

28. Karalane says

Your craft armoire is one of my favorite ones I’ve found when searching online. I also make jewelry so looking at your bead and bauble storage is very inspiring! You have really maximized the storage wonderfully.
    Now I’m plotting how to commandeer my DH’s IKEA Hemnes wardrobe to make my own version!

I love what you did with the armiour. Too cool! While I no longer have our armiour but I do have some custom made cabinets that I need to organize better and your cabinet gave me some ideas to improve and clean up my room. I’ve saved this link so I can look it over when I’m in my sewing room

Thanks for sharing

30. Jackie Johnson says

Your cabinet is beautiful, but not as much as your story about your grandmother’s Whitman box, which made my eyes water. When we broke housekeeping at my grandparents house, there were three daughters and six grandchildren in the mix. I had been left her dining room furniture of the major items, but the smaller ones went all to the sisters who drew lots in each room. I asked for something I thought no one would care about, her enamel wash tub. Everyone had one. You carried the wet clothes out to the clothesline with it. Some of my best memories are tied up in that clothesline. When I was “home” it was one of the things I helped her do. Always in the summer, with the butterflies floating, the dandy-lions puffing, the smell of cut grass wafting, but the best smell of all was those clean clothes smelling of the laundry detergent she used. My grandad did too. He poured Tide in his hands every day when he came home from his work as a machinist and scrubbed them under the kitchen faucet. It’s the one smell I have attached to both of them. Amazing thing, the sense of smell. And the memory it evokes.

31. JKP says

I am drawn to the case on the right door holding what looks like dremel bits…where did you get this item?

32. suwako says

I’ve just been feeding myself on your homepage added you on fb, and loving every single page I’ve seen so far. I grew up in mainly Europe, but am Japanese (where purchasing new things tends to be more of the thing even for my generation. I thankfully (maybe not for my hubby) managed to keep the “keep everything old and renovate” from Europe. I love the colourful chairs you spray painted, and it reminded me of my child’s chair I spray painted pink which took some effort. I will take your stance and spray paint everything and anything! The chest of drawers you adopted from your parents and painted blue is beautiful too. Since I’m located in Japan, materials may not be as easily accessible, but it’s not accessibility, but more about the change of mind, to adapt myself to this environment, and make the most of what IS accessible to make a beautiful change like you do. Will keep reading your posts. R-E-S-P-E-C-T! You are someone I want to be.

33. Cathy says

I dont often comment when I am on the “internet hunt” for creative inspiration, or in this case, for ideas to tame my craft space…but I honestly found this to be not only the perfect combination of classy and down-to-earth, but also, THE MOST informative on the subject that I have come across after weeks of searching on google, Pinterest etc. So many of these “show and tell” organizing ideas are too superficial, showing off the gorgeous arrangement of various storage items, but not so much what is IN them and why and how you got it that way etc. The added sentiment regarding your mom and daughter were the perfect finishing touch. WONDERFUL JOB and thank you!!!

Hi Cathy – Thank you so much for commenting. There is so much content out on the Internet to compete against that it becomes impossible to even try. I try to always just be me. There is a quote I love that goes something like this – “Be you, since everyone else is taken”. When I right my posts, I try to write them in a way that I would find interesting. If I would not find it something I would gravitate to, I just won’t write it. The perfect stuff on Pinterest is dreamy to look at, but real life is much more interesting. It is what truly connects us – real life :) I truly appreciate you taking the time to write. Connecting with readers like you is what makes blogging so special for me. XO

34. chrissy says

Hi, I saw the storage drawers (the type where men would use nuts,nails and bolts for this type of storage drawers container) and i was wondering how do you arrange your beads? by colors? type of beads? or my sizes? ect.Hope to hear from you and your craft closet is beautiful :) Thanks Chrissy

Hi Dianne,
    I just wanted to comment because I saw you in a BH&G article and loved the piece you made for them. I immediately gravitated towards this cabinet, I have a huge craft hoard with sewing, painting, etc. and it is tucked in every corner of the house instead of one central location. I have an unused living room in the front of the house and am gathering the courage to turn it into something like this. I am going to be on the lookout for the containers you used for the beads, my mom makes beaded jewelry and would love them. Will be back for inspiration. All the hard work you have put into your site shows. Thanks.
    -Gina-

Hi Susan – The pincushion is one of my favorite things – extra special that I will cherish forever. I am so happy that I can use it too and it is not just something to save.

36. Rozanne Nicholes says

Thank you for your sweet story about life. It was very uplifting and wonderful. I know you are a happy person because you craft. Have a great day.