DIY: Dollar Store Wicker or Glass Cake Stand

by Diane Henkler on 05/28/2013

Hi everyone – I hope you had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.  As with most holidays, it went by way too fast.   My oldest was home and I wanted to make dinner feel a bit more special to help celebrate the holiday and the arrival of the outdoor entertaining season. I bought a Strawberry Shortcake to serve for dessert.  When I set the cake on a plate, it looked like a mediocre store bought cake – it didn’t look festive enough for the occasion. It needed something – height for impact, but I didn’t want to bring my favorite white cake stand outside for fear the wind or someone, most likely me would accidentally knock it over.    I love all the cake stands that I have seen on Pinterest that are made with pretty china plates and stemware,  but I wanted something that said “Summer”.

I got an idea, but to implement it, I had to head to the dollar store to buy a few items.

This-wicker-style-cake-stand-is-perfect-for-summer-and-outdoor-entertaining

With a little bit of white chalk paint and hot glue I made an outdoor summer cake stand using a glass candlestick holder and a wicker paper plate holder.  I also made the small all-glass stand in the background of the above photo using dollar store items.

Flag-Cake-Topper-Idea

To add even more height to the cake, I placed the poles on small American flags into striped paper straws and pushed 4 of them into the top of the cake.  This made each flag about 3-inches taller and the plain pole decorative.

Cake-Topper-Ideas for Patriot Holidays

With a few tweaks the cake looked quite festive and fitting for the patriotic holiday dinner party.

How-to-make-Dollar-Store-Cake stand

I painted the glass candlestick holder with white chalk paint. I let it dry and then used a piece of sandpaper to distress the edges.

How to Make a Wicker Cake Stand

How to make a glass or wicker cake stand

Hot glue will work for the wicker and painted glass candlestick holder stand.

1. Lay a paper plate or wicker plate holder upside down on a flat surface.  Run a line of glue or around the top edge of the glass candlestick holder and turn it upside down. Center it over the paper plate/wicker holder and press it to the back of the plate to adhere.

2. I made a few – the wicker plate holder stand, another with a square paper plate and a third made of all glass. (see below)

How to Make a Small All-Glass Cake Stand

Glass Cake Stand tutorial

Supplies Needed:

Glass candlestick
Round glass cutting board
Craft knife
Glass glue – many kinds sold at the crafts store. I like  E-6000 or Aleene’s Platinum Bond 7800
For temporary hold – use hot glue

2. Remove the clear rubber feet on the underside of the glass cutting board by prying them off with a knife.

3.  Run a line of  glue on the top edge of the candlestick and attach and center it on the underside of the cutting board.  Let dry.

Entertaining ideas using napkins

I lined the stand with a doily, but thought for future use, I could cut up colorful and patterned paper napkins in a doily shape to create unique liners for different occasions.

How-to-make-Wicker-and-Paper-Plate-Plate-and-Cake-Stands

I bought the blue napkins and red and white striped straws at HomeGoods.  Everything else is from The Dollar Tree.

How to make a glass cake stand

Pin It

1 Heather M May 28, 2013 at 6:59 pm

So cool and picnicky. I need one of the glass ones. Can’t wait to try it for myself.

2 Mary May 28, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I looked at the candle plates at Christmas time and considered doing this, but did not realize how easy it would be to remove the feet from them. Great idea!

3 Diane Henkler May 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Hi Mary – There was a candle plate where the feet were part of the mold, making the glass and feet all one piece. The glass cutting board a few aisles over – had the easy to remove rubber feet -they pop right off.

4 Linda May 28, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Diane, you are so amazing. I wish I lived closer. I believe you are an evil genius, born to turn dollar store trinkets into gorgeous, valuable treasure!

5 Janell May 28, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Diane – Thanks for the great ideas. Totally love these and will be stopping by the dollar store soon! I enjoy reading your blog.

6 Kim May 29, 2013 at 7:52 am

You continue to amaze me with your insight into even the smallest of details. Can I live in your brain for a day? It would be fun to try! Also, thanks for responding to my question about the lampshade frames. I appreciate very much your willingness to help. Have a great summer!

7 Linda A. Young May 29, 2013 at 8:04 am

Great ideas, making these cake stands! You are very clever and I enjoy your blog and all the inspiration! The flags look pretty and festive, with the striped straws, atop the cake! What fun!

8 Barbara Q May 29, 2013 at 10:15 am

I am continually impressed with your clever and thrifty ideas, and enjoy reading your blog. I happen to live in a nearby neighborhood (and frequent the same Home Goods) but was wondering which dollar store you usually go to. Maybe I just lack imagination, but I don’t seem to be able to come up with any bright ideas or dollar store supplies to create them. Thanks, Diane, for continuing to inspire me.

9 Diane Henkler May 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hi Barbara -

I go to The Dollar Tree at the Lansdale Pavilion on Broad Street or the one on Rt 63( Welsh Rd) where the Redner’s Market, 2nd Avenue, and JoAnn’s Fabrics are. I also like the independent dollar store in Souderton. It is in the shopping center where Staples is. I forget the name, but I do find good stuff in there every now and then.

10 Barbara Q May 29, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks! I’ll try them out and keep reading your blog for ideas!

11 Sheryll & Critters. May 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

I hate to miss anything from you, because it is always something fantastic. And here is the proof once again. I know how you have done the candlesticks in the past, but holy moly, you and your straws to cover the flagpoles put this way over the top! And the blue doily, cut with scallops…. I would have felt creative just cutting them round.

I will be working on this for my little patio for the Fourth. Thank you so much for all the clever diy tutorials.

12 Cheryl B. May 29, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Whew! Woman don’t you every sleep? These will all be great for the 4th too! I’m a pretty paper person and always looking for more uses. Thanks once again for ALL the inspiration.

13 Allison May 30, 2013 at 1:13 am

Hey Diane! I have been loving reading all of your blog posts! I mean loving it, so knowledgeable. I recently took your advice on the chalk paint, and decided on plaster of paris! I am now in love with making my own chalk paint! It was so easy. Here is the blog posts http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/2013/05/revamped-bench-into-shabby-chic.html
Thanks for all you wonderfulness!

Allie

14 CWilfert June 2, 2013 at 10:21 am

Great idea to use a glass cutting board for the top piece!!

15 Cake Stands August 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Cute project……! I think you have a great blog, I have seen versions of this idea many times, but LOVE this for outdoor parties! So cute. You could always spray paint the whole thing in a theme color of you are having a party. Nicely done!