Do you want to serve dessert at a BBQ or outdoor dinner party in a stylish way, but don’t want to fuss? You can easily elevate any dessert using two items you may already own to make a wicker cake stand.
Raising the height of the platters and serving dishes on a buffet table will always make them feel a bit more special. I have made a stand to hold donuts, a small stand for a slice of cake, and always follow my checklist to help celebrate the occasion, holiday or the arrival of the outdoor entertaining season. (See my At-the-Ready Party Tips).
I bought a Strawberry Shortcake to serve for dessert for a recent gathering When I set the cake on a plate, it looked like a mediocre store bought cake – it didn’t look festive enough for the occasion. It needed to be higher on the buffet table, but I didn’t want to bring my favorite white ceramic cake stand outside for fear the wind or someone, most likely me would accidentally knock it over.
I love all the cake stands that I have seen on Pinterest that are made with pretty china plates and stemware, but I wanted something that said “Summer”.
I got an idea, but to implement it, I had to head to the dollar store to buy a few items.
How to Make a Wicker Cake Stand Using Items From the Dollar Store
With a little bit of white chalk paint and hot glue I made an outdoor summer cake stand using a glass candlestick holder and a wicker paper plate holder. I also made the small all-glass stand in the background of the above photo using dollar store items.
To add even more height to the cake, I placed the poles on small American flags into striped paper straws and pushed 4 of them into the top of the cake. This made each flag about 3-inches taller and the plain pole decorative.
With a few tweaks the cake looked quite festive and fitting for the patriotic holiday dinner party. I added some festive paper plates to make the table even more vibrant.
I painted the glass candlestick holder with white chalk paint. I let it dry and then used a piece of sandpaper to distress the edges.
How to Make a Wicker Cake Stand
Hot glue will work for the wicker and painted glass candlestick holder stand.
1. Lay a paper plate or wicker plate holder upside down on a flat surface. Run a line of glue or around the top edge of the glass candlestick holder and turn it upside down. Center it over the paper plate/wicker holder and press it to the back of the plate to adhere.
2. I made a few – the wicker plate holder stand, another with a square paper plate and a third made of all glass. (see below)
How to Make a Small All-Glass Cake Stand
- Glass candlestick
- Round glass cutting board
- Craft knife
- Glass glue – many kinds sold at the crafts store. I like E-6000 or Aleene’s Platinum Bond 7800
- For temporary hold – use hot glue
2. Remove the clear rubber feet on the underside of the glass cutting board by prying them off with a knife.
3. Run a line of glue on the top edge of the candlestick and attach and center it on the underside of the cutting board. Let dry.
I lined the stand with a doily, but thought for future use, I could cut up colorful and patterned paper napkins in a doily shape to create unique liners for different occasions.
I bought the blue napkins and red and white striped straws at HomeGoods. Everything else is from The Dollar Tree.