FAQ’s about Paint – Answered

by Diane Henkler on 07/23/2013

Over the past few weeks, I have been trying to work on the blog design and navigation changes on my blog.   It takes time away from completing decorating, paining, and other creative projects to share with you. But I decided I needed to tackle them now and get things in order this summer before life gets back to full swing at the end of August.

I have finally finished a guide that will answer 95% of the the most frequently asked questions I receive in my inbox on a daily basis about painting,.  My inbox is going to thank me and it is my hope that it will help you paint more confidentlly when you take on a new paint project.

My paint guide will serve as a reference for anyone that has basic painting questions, are not sure how to start, or don’t know what products to use.  You can find the page here:  How to Paint Anything

I will be updating it on a regular basis when new questions arise and new products come out on the market that I think are worth using.

Here is a snippet from the page.

How to Paint Anything the Guide to Painting Success

To access this Paint Guide, you will find it under the Paint Anything tab  in my navigation bar.  It is available now.

I am working on new projects and will share soon.  I am on a waiting list at my local tool rental place for a specific floor sander that is popular. I am waiting for them to call so I can start refinishing my kitchen and mudroom floor.   I’m eager to get started and excited about what I am planning to paint on the floor.

My writing elsewhere this week:  My latest post is up at My Colortopia.  You can find it here:  Essential Guest Room Decor

1 Nana Diana July 23, 2013 at 11:21 am

Diane! What a good person you are- a full guide and at NO CHARGE. I’ll tell you-that is one of the things about blogland-so many people are willing to share everything they know on a subject and give freely of their advice. You are a shining example of that—and—-your blog looks just great-very professional looking. xo Diana

2 Diane Henkler July 23, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hi Diana – Thanks – you always make me smile :) I started my blog to share what I know and have tried to learn as much as I can about presentation, images, photography, and Photoshop. I have learned a lot, but I have still so much to learn. I love when I get those light bulb moments. The more I do with the back end, and image programs, the more it starts to sink in and become easier.

3 Chantal July 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Diane your blog is like a Craker Jack box. When you open it you know there will be a prize, it’s always a treat reading it and it’s always original. (Hope you like Cracker Jack). Thank ‘s for your generosity and all the care that goes with it!
Chantal from Montréal

4 Tiffany July 23, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This is awesome! I’ve pinned so many of your tips but I’m excited to have everything in one place. Thank you for sharing!

5 Kim O. July 23, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Diane, you are so kind, helpful and thorough. I refer to your website all the time. This just makes everything easier and better! Thanks!

6 Ce El July 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

Thank you, thank you! You have helped and given me confidence to paint my daughter and son-in-law’s dark wood table that is sitting in my garage. They are impatient to have it, but I find it a daunting task.
It will be transformed!
You are wonderful to share all this information.

7 Vickie July 24, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. This painting guide is a Godsend since our home will soon be finished and ready for us to move in and create our own space. I absolutely love your blog and think it’s one of the best out there…bar none!

8 Diane Henkler July 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Vickie, that is nice to hear. Moving into a new house is pretty exciting! Enjoy making it your home. XO

9 Theo July 31, 2013 at 10:05 am

Purchased unfinished kitchen cabinets several years ago put polyuerthane. Would love to paint cabinets white. Do I sand and use degloser. Please help. Just read your articles and they are very detailed and informative. THANKS

10 Diane Henkler August 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi Theo -

I would sand the cabinets – especially if the polyurethane is super shiny. I took mine down to the bare wood. It has been over 10 years since I painted them and the paint has never chipped, peeled, or come off. It takes more time, but you will be rewarded for a long time for your efforts. If you don’t want to sand to the bare wood, sand enough to rough the surface up so the paint has something to stick to. Cleaning them well and using a deglosser will help. Using a gripping primer is a must. Thin coats and sand lightly in between each coat will give you a nice smooth finish.