Fall Decorating Finding Fall Home Tour

by Diane Henkler on 09/20/2013

If you just came from All Things Heart and Home – Welcome.  My blog is the last blog stop on the Finding Fall Tour of Homes.

Finding Fall Home Tours

Throughout the past week, you’ve toured 15 gorgeous homes, all decorated for Fall. It wraps up today with my tour and then even more Fall Decorating Ideas from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine! You will find lots of inspiration for your own Fall Decorating.  I hope you are able to pop over and visit all of the participating bloggers!

Finding Fall Home tour

__________

If this is your first visit to my blog, let me introduce myself. My name is Diane. I love to create, decorate, paint, and give old stuff new life. My background is in retail display where I had to make displays using only what was on hand in a prop room. Working with so little, opened my eyes to see the possibilities of transformation and to use just about anything to decorate my home.

Finding-Fall-Home-Tour

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year and this year it is starting off perfectly – a chill is already in the air, the days perfectly delightful, a cozy sweater needed at night. Football, falling leaves, pumpkins…bliss!

Monogram-Wreath-For-Fall

On the first day of Fall, I head to my local pumpkin patch and buy a few pumpkins and colorful mums to put by my front door. My front door is in dire need of a new coat of paint.  I hope to get it repainted soon.  Last year I made the monogram out of a foam board to accent the wreath.

Inside, my efforts are focused on my dining room. The room never gets used except in the Fall and that is when I like to infuse it with color. I chose the wall color with Fall in mind. It is Benjamin Moore Shelburne Buff. It is a warm and cozy neutral that goes with any color I choose to add to the décor or table setting. It looks dreamy by candle light.

Fall-Decorating-Ideas

The dining table is a hand-me-down that I recently stripped, painted, and stained a week ago. I will post about how I did it next week. Since it is still early in the season, I like to start out using vibrant Autumn colors – as the season progresses to Thanksgiving, I transition to more muted hues. The brass chandelier that I made over with paint and crystals goes perfectly with my table now that it too has had a makeover.  The corner cabinet in the background is in the process of getting a paint makeover.

Easy-Recycled-Candle-Vases

I enjoy finding ways to repurpose mundane items. Last year I used tin cans to make candle holders for the table.

Fall-Decorating-Ideas-for-Tables

This year, I cut turquoise tinted wine bottles to make a row of vases to run down the center of the table.

Fall-flower-Arrangements

I switched out the chair back runners to black & white stripes. I posted how I made the previous white and turquoise runners by sewing. Next week, I will post the no-sew way.

Fall-Tablesetting-Ideas

I don’t enjoy cooking, but one of my favorite things to do is set a table. I am always in search of ideas for place cards, cloths, and unique ways to display china.

Pottery Barn Place card and holder idea

While I was at Pottery Barn last month, I snapped this photo of this place card and knew I would have to figure out a way to make them myself without having to buy a few games of Scrabble. It is another project I will show you how to make in the next few weeks.

Side-View

Once the Autumn splendor outside has faded, I change out the décor using muted colors. They warm up the room considerably and set the mood for the beginning of the holiday season.

Thanksgiving-Sideboard

The branches with dried leaves are from a tree in my yard. The chalkboard is simply a thrift store fake oil painting in a frame. A little chalkboard spray paint over the painting and it becomes a big menu board.

Pumpkin-Carving-Ideas-In-an-urn

Pumpkins are on my list of favorite things. I just posted about how I carved my address in this foam pumpkin using a hot knife.

Pretty-Pumpkin-Decorating-I

To jazz one up for my family room, I covered it with a paper napkin. This is a great project for a foam pumpkin that will never rot.

Easy-Fall-Decorating-Ideas

In my kitchen – I add a few small fall touches to the center island.

Kitchen-Colors-that-Pop

A few weeks ago I added changeable backdrops to open shelves. I am displaying orange now to help celebrate the arrival of fall. I plan to change the colors for the season or just on a whim.

Furniture-Makeover-Before-and-After

I love to add fresh vibrant color to furniture pieces that I make over with paint, but lately I am loving the look of stripped furniture – I love it for all seasons, but I think it looks best in the Fall. Warm, cozy and a bit country – in my mind that = Fall.

Autumn-Decorating-Ideas

If you would like to see the rest of the décor in my home, you can click here to follow my entire Home Tour post.

For the last stop on the tour.

Bettter Homes and Gardens Finding Fall Home Tour

Head over to Better Homes and Gardens Pinterest Board and to Better Homes and Gardens to find even more fall decorating inspiration.

To start the Finding Fall Home Tours from the very beginning, just click here to visit the first home on the tour. The rest of the homes will link to each other in order making it easy to navigate to the next one on the tour.

To find even more Fall decorating inspiration,  Melissa over at the Inspired Room has a Fall Nesting Party celebrating Fall.

1 Robin~All Things Heart and Home September 20, 2013 at 6:26 am

I love your beautiful home Diane! I can feel all the warmth of the season here :)
xo

2 Patty Rumaker at Home and Lifestyle Design September 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Your home is lovely and I adore all of your fall touches you have added. Thanks for the tour!
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

3 Laura @ Finding Home September 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Your home is so beautiful year round, but I love all of your fall touches.

Thanks so much for being part of the tour.

Take care, Laura

4 katie clooney September 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Diane… this is my first time on your blog but definitely not my last. What a gorgeous home! Love all your decorations. I am in awe. Have a wonderful weekend!!

5 Gee September 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful!

6 Angela September 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Your home is lovely! I love your monograms! In fact, I’ve popped over a time or two to revisit your tutorials! Your entire home is beautiful!~~Angela

7 Marianne L September 20, 2013 at 6:33 pm

You have a beautiful home, Diane. Thanks for the tour!

8 Jane @ Janie's Porch September 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I just love the little owl towel in the kitchen! And the way you repurposed the wine bottles and scrabble tiles. What a welcoming and charming home!!!

9 Jennifer Rizzo September 20, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I love what you did with the mason jars and you little pumpkin is so cool! Amazing ideas and home!!!

10 Lucette September 21, 2013 at 9:24 am

I love the flowers in jars and glasses as centerpieces. I am stealing the idea of Pumpkins in urns! So Nice!

11 Karen Watson September 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

It all looks fabulous Diane!! I love your home and your style! Thanks for the inspiration on the pumpkin ideas too, I’m going to have to try that napkin decoupage one and the house number pumpkin is great too!
xo
Karen

12 Jennifer @ Town and Country Living September 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm

It’s all quite beautiful! It looks like the hutch in the background is lined with book pages, is that right? Genius!

13 Diane Henkler September 21, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Thanks Jennifer – You have a good eye :) Yes I used book pages to line the hutch.

14 Sheryll & Critters. September 22, 2013 at 8:03 am

Well, I love every single thing you have done to your home. I wish I could copy everything……. you know I have that very long wish list that all came from you.

I also like that you do a lot of very easy, not so expensive and practical decors….. like the foam pumpkins that will last for many years. Also, that I can at least hope to come close to copying…. grin. I still have the Easter Bunny Wreath I copied from you years ago. So cute. And this monogramed one is just gorgeous, but I can’t seem to get the courage to cut the monogram out.. still planning though. I do have the foam board with the plan to do it.

15 Kathy T September 22, 2013 at 11:59 am

Your home is lovely. I love the menu board.

16 susan September 23, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hi Diane-Thanks so much for your great DIY ideas. I was inspired by the chandelier make over and did my own closely following your design, but made the color a light grey with antiquing glaze. Turned out fabulous! I also added some antique crystals that I found half off this summer at an antique store. Great inspiration–keep it coming!

17 AnneSATX September 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Love the turquoise colored wine bottles that you cut into vases — and so much more. OK, so what kind of wine was it? If we hope to duplicate your centerpiece, we have some wine purchasing (and drinking!) to do… :)

18 Diane Henkler September 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Hi Anne – The turquoise wine bottles are from the wine: Yellow Tail Reserve Pinot Grigio. I will be writing a post on the bottles soon. :)

19 AnneSATX September 28, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Thanks, Diane! I’ll add that wine to my grocery list — I’m glad Pinot Grigio is one of my favorites. And I’m looking forward to reading your post on the bottles. :)

20 AnneSATX October 1, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Bought my first bottle tonight — one down and ?? to go! LOL!
Thanks, Diane!

21 Zsuzsa October 13, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Lovely home. Your dining table with all the flowers is jut gorgeous!