Christmas in a Minute: Ornament Tree

by Diane Henkler on 11/24/2013

Do you remember this ornament tree I made using a knitting needle?

Christmas-Decorating-in-a-Minute

Today, along with a group of other DIY bloggers, we are sharing Christmas projects that you can get completed in a minute.  This tree fits the bill. It is 1..2…3…easy!

Christmas Decorations in a Minute

supplies needed:

• 14-inch knitting needle or a wooden dowel
  • collection of about 16-20 ball ornaments in various sizes:  4 of each size: large, medium, small, and miniature
  • flat surface

Step-1--Knitting-needle-and-ornament-tree

1. Hold the needle upright with the  knob end on the bottom.  Place the ornament hook of 4 large ornaments over the needle.  Arrange the balls so that they hold up the needle by themselves.

How-to-make-a-knitting-needle-ornament-tree-in-3-easy-steps

2. Add 4 medium size ornaments on top of the large ones.  They will automatically mold into the spaces between the larger bottom ornaments.

How-to-make-a-christmas-tree-with-a-knitting-needle-and-ball-ornaments

3. Add 4 smaller balls on top of the medium balls, then fill in the top portion with very small balls until the needle is covered.

As you can see – this can be done in a minute and if you ever want to use the ornaments for other purposes – they are still intact – no altering is needed.

In the tree I made in the first photo of this post, I used a tree topper to finish the top.  You can also use a star ornament.  To see my complete post and how to add variations…

how-to-make-a-stand-for-a-tabletop-Christmas-tree-using-a-ribbon-spool

….and how to make an optional decorative base for the tree using a ribbon spool – you will find the how-to in my original post: How to Make a Tabletop Knitting Needle Ornament Tree.

I had planned to post another project today, but over the weekend my computer crashed and I didn’t have time to edit my photos.  Life gets hectic, plans go awry,  time is at a premium – especially now until the end of the year.

If you are looking for quick and easy holiday decorating ideas, then look no further than the holiday projects shared in the Christmas in a Minute gallery below.

How-to-use-vintage-Christmas-Ornaments

Pin It

1 Nana Diana November 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

Diane- That is such a cute, cute idea. I love seeing little YOU’S reflected in all the bulbs! xo Diana

2 Diane Henkler November 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

Hi Diana – I was going Photoshop myself out of the reflections, but that is what I love about Christmas ornaments – the way they catch the lights of the tree and everything around them. Brings things to life :)

3 Karah @ thespacebetweenblog November 25, 2013 at 7:39 am

So creative and so simple! Now I’ll be on the look out for knitting needles, even though I don’t knit. :)

4 Diane Henkler November 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

Hi Karah – thanks You could use a dowel, too. I bet you may have one of those laying around.

5 Angie S November 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

GREAT idea on the dowel! I have knitting needles, but use them as mandrels for coiling wire and cut the tips off so they fit into my hand drill better – I have TONS of wood dowels just waiting for something like this!

6 Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage November 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

Pure genius! I am off to steal a knitting needle from my girls – they may wonder why they only have one but this is way more important!!
Kelly

7 Carrie November 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

A knitting needle? You’re so dang clever, Diane!

8 Roeshel November 25, 2013 at 10:53 am

That is SO clever, so quick and so beautiful, Diane! Love it!

9 Miss Charming November 25, 2013 at 11:28 am

Such a cute (and easy) project! And I love the fact that the ornaments can be used for something else later, too!

10 Jessica @ Decor Adventures November 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I just make a wreath with old ornaments, but I had not thought to make them a tree. Very pretty!

11 Adee Jo November 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Shiny Brite Co made these in the 50′s-60′s ..it was called a Cluster Tree

12 Diane Henkler November 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hi Adee Jo – Thanks for telling me the name for it – a Cluster Tree. Love it :) Wish I had some of the original Shiny Brite ornaments :)

13 JaneEllen November 25, 2013 at 5:56 pm

This has got to be one of the smartest and easiest quick projects I’ve seen. You always have been so good at what you do but this is genius. It sure is a minute if a person has all their ornaments right there. I don’t have knitting needle but do have some round sticks. I have to make this, so decorative and pretty.
Know what you mean about the busy part til end of year. I don’t work but seems there aren’t enuf hours in any day/night. I keep finding more and more incredible things to make, at least this tree will be quick.
Happy Thanksgiving

14 courtney November 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I just moved into a new apartment and have been hunting for ideas for my mantle! Thank you so much for sharing, can’t wait to try this!

15 katie November 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

What a super cute idea!!! I’ve always wanted to make an ornament tree!

16 Jann from Newton Custom Interiors November 26, 2013 at 8:19 am

Diane, this is a fantastic, quick and simple project! I love that it is so simple to do, but looks so great!

17 Linda A. Young November 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

This is great! A beautiful , quick and easy way to display some old ornaments I have and I can make different color combos for different rooms! Love it!

18 gail November 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm

love, love, love this Diane! Pinned!

gail
ps happy Thanksgiving!

19 Barbara @ DIY Home Staging Tips November 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Who could forget your tree? I noticed it immediately when I was reading Unskinny Boppy this morning. Gotta do this!

20 Erin November 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm

This is EXACTLY what I am going to do with the extra ornaments I bought years ago for another project that never came to be….This project is way better! And the fact that it’s easy and quick as wel…Brilliant! Thank you for the idea!!!!

21 Chris Wilson November 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

Hi Diane …Love the ornament tree! I can do that! Can I “rent” you for the day to look over the things in my house? I swear you can make something amazing out of anything!

22 Trish November 27, 2013 at 10:12 am

I have some knitting needles that belonged to my mother-in-law, and lovely old ornaments that belonged to my mom; neither is still with us so this would be a lovely way to think of them both during the holidays.

23 Susan November 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

My mother (86) has been making the knitting needle tree since the 1950s! An older woman showed her. Then I continued the tradition, as has my daughter (33)!

24 Natascia Russo December 3, 2013 at 1:55 am

This is another simple but cute mini Christmas tree. I will make the same one in my room. Thanks

25 Linda December 8, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I am so glad to have come across your site today.

26 Elaine December 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm

what a great and simple idea thanks will make some of these as I have loads of knitting needles ( a lot of single ones as their ‘partners’ have snapped ! )