How I Made a Paper Boxwood Wreath

by Diane Henkler on 11/29/2013

I could not have made this Paper Boxwood Wreath as easily as I did without the assistance of my favorite piece of technology – right after my iPhone – comes my Silhouette electronic cutting machine.

Tutorial-on-how-to-make-a-paper-boxwood-wreath

I love boxwood wreaths and do have a few of them hanging around my house that I picked up last January in the clearance area of Lowes. Boxwood wreaths tend to dry out and are expensive.

Boxwood Wreath

The idea to make one using card stock popped into my head when I was organizing my decorative paper drawer. I figured it would be affordable and not dry out.   Having a Silhouette – made my idea into a reality in a few hours.

Paper-boxwood-wreath--tutorial

You know that I love to design and make things – I usually like to be resourceful and use the supplies I already have on hand, but when I get a vision or idea of something in my mind, it sometimes takes a little technical or electronic assistance to make it become a reality.  One of the ways to make an idea like this possible is with my Cameo Silhouette cutting machine.   It lets me be the designer; I don’t have to settle on a design that is not quite right for me or my decorating style.

If you are not familiar with how a Silhouette works – the easiest way to look at it is that it is like iTunes.  Instead of buying a song for your iPhone , you buy digital designs for the Silhouette. There are thousands of downloadable designs to choose from that the machine will cut.  This is a great selling feature, but what I like even more is that you can scan any image you draw or find in a photo or magazine and change it to a cut file.

This is what I did to create paper boxwood sprigs to make a wreath.

Cushion Moss Wreath

I wanted my wreath to have the color mix of the greenery in the photo above – light and dark green. That is the beauty of designing things on your own – you can get exactly what you want.

How to Make a Paper Boxwood Wreath

supplies needed:

• Silhouette electronic cutting machine
  • boxwood design scanned and uploaded to a Silhouette “cut” file
  • 11 pieces 12 x 12 cardstock – I used 3 different shades of green
  • 18-inch grapevine wreath
  • glue that will dry clear

Boxwood-Twig-Art-for-Silhouette

1. Download .pdf file:  Boxwood-Twig-Art-for-Silhouette

Silhouette-america-Boxwood-Leaf-cut-out-design

2. When making and scanning your own images  – you first have to make the design into a file that the Silhouette can read. It has to be a cutting file.  It is not hard to do this, but  I went to YouTube to learn how to do it.  Here is the link to the You Tube video that showed me how to make a scanned image into a cut file on a Silhouette. It also shows how to make a cut and print file.

3.  Once the file image outline is red in the Silhouette interface – it is ready to be cut.  I did not print an image first – I just wanted the outline shape.

Silhouette-Machine-making-Paper-Boxwood-leaves

4. Hook up your computer to the Silhouette and follow the machine’s prompts to start cutting.

Silhouette-Cutting-Machine-cut-these-out

5.  Once the cutting is complete – remove the excess paper around the boxwood sprigs and then carefully remove them.

How-to-make-a-paper-boxwood-wreath-using-a-Silhouette

6. Once you have enough boxwood sprigs cut, you can start adding them to the grapevine wreath.

How-to-make-a-paper-boxwood-wreath-tutorial

7. I folded the leaves of each sprig to make them look more realistic.

Non-Toxic-craft-glue

8. I dipped the end of each sprig into glue.  (This glue  – Glu6 is non-toxic and smells nice. I received this sample to try out. It worked great for this lightweight application.)

How-to-make-a-paper-boxwood-wreath

9. Stick the ends into the wreath; I tried to evenly space out the 3 colors of sprigs that I had cut.

How-to-make-a-boxwood-wreath-out-of-paper

10. Let dry for a few hours before hanging.

How-to-make-a-paper-boxwood-wreath

I have not been compensated for this post, but do make a small percentage of sales when you use the code “OwnStyle” when ordering.

Pin It

1 Mel November 29, 2013 at 5:26 am

That is just stunning! Your resourcefulness always amazes me, Diane.

I would have liked to take advantage of the sales, but it is not applicable to anyone outside of the U.S.A. :(

2 Gina November 29, 2013 at 8:04 am

This is beautiful!! I have been wanting a Silhouette and just mentioned it as a Christmas idea. Now I really want one!

3 Vikki November 29, 2013 at 10:28 am

Love that wreath Diane! Only you would come up with this idea. Happy to see you are enjoying your Silhouette. I’m anxious to see your next Silhouette project. Vikki in VA

4 Susan November 29, 2013 at 11:27 am

LOVE THIS!! I really enjoy using paper to create art and am always looking for inspiration. This is one of the prettiest paper wreaths I’ve ever seen. What a great idea.

5 Tammi Harrison November 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Love the wreath! Can you download your own monograms on either machine? What’s the biggest drawback of getting cheaper machine “cameo”?

6 Sheryll & Critters. November 30, 2013 at 5:35 am

I am so in love with this wreath. I so wish I could get the Cameo. But I just don’t have the money. Living on my social security only is barely enough to survive.

I wish I even knew someone that had one cause I would pay for the supplies to have them make me this gorgeous wreath. In the meantime, I will have to use my own hand picked grape vines and my own Juniper branches. And I forgot to save the long out of control ones I had to cut this past year….. stupid me. Maybe next year…….

7 Susan November 30, 2013 at 7:27 am

Diane this wreath is awesome! It looks even better than real! Thanks for the great inspiration!
Susan

8 Cathleen November 30, 2013 at 7:41 am

Oh my GOODNESS!! I love this! Thanks for the great idea/tutorial. I have a silhouette, but I’m not a scrapbooker, so I’m forever looking for ideas beyond embellishments.

9 Bobbi November 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Love the look of the wreath! I have strongly stated that I could really use a silhouette to expand on my creativity. I expect one for Christmas. :)

Can you use felt on the machine? I was wondering how your pattern would do w/ felt… A very lovely look as well I think.

10 Diane Henkler December 2, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hi Bobbi – You can use fabric, but I am not sure about felt. Silhouette America does sell what they call Flocked fabric. It feels like felt, but a bit stiffer. The best way to find out, is to go to the Silhouette website and ask the question in the help area. I think you can even call them with questions, too.

11 Bobbi December 2, 2013 at 10:27 am

Thanks Diane!

12 Alexis @ Persia Lou November 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

This is so lovely! I’m hoping Santa is bringing me a Cameo for Christmas. :)

13 Gloria November 30, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Another great feature of Glu6, which you might want to point out to your readers, is that it is made from recycled styrofoam.

14 Diane Henkler December 2, 2013 at 12:48 am

Hi Gloria – I did not know that – thanks for taking the time to tell me. One more good reason to use it :)

15 Linda Southworth November 30, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Really a beautiful idea. Now I just need the CAMEO!

16 Pamela Bicart December 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I just ordered the Cameo for my husband (no, seriously, I did!) We can’t wait to start some craft projects together! This beautiful wreath is on my list.

17 Susie@homemaker-mom December 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

Just fabulous . I would so do this if I had a machine

18 Kelly December 13, 2013 at 10:27 am

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, Diane!! I adore it. xo Pinned, Stumbled and Tweeting!!!

19 Lauren @ The Thinking Closet December 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I am seriously in awe right now. As a Silhouette owner for nearly a year now, I keep thinking, “Okay, now I’ve seen it all”…and then, I see something new that blows my mind and reminds me that this machine knows no bounds. And that’s exactly what you’ve done here for me with this project. It is just so beautiful…I almost prefer it to the real deal! Too cool, I had to share with the Silhouette Facebook group I coordinate…and everyone is ooing and ahhing over it. Brava!

20 Diane Henkler December 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hi Lauren -

I am pretty new to my Silhouette, so your comment makes me feel like wonderful – like I actually may know what I am doing. XO! I did have to watch a few YouTube videos when I first got it about 6 months ago to teach me all the bells and whistles. I did use a big industrial style vinyl cutting machine – 4 ft long when I worked in retail display. We used only vinyl with it for brand logos for displays and other signage in the store. I have picked more vinyl from VAT tape then I care to remember :) Now with my own machine – there is no limit to what we can do with it. Thanks for taking the time to comment and say hi. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

21 Kathe December 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Mind. Blown. This is just amazing Diane! I have a Cameo already that I am afraid to use but, I am now inspired to try making a boxwood wreath of my own!

22 Pam - GetSilvered December 13, 2013 at 5:10 pm

The wreath looks amazing. Thank you for your step by step process.

23 Dee @ From Wine to Whine December 14, 2013 at 12:09 am

This is absolutely stunning!!! I have a Cameo myself and LOVE to push it outside the “typical” boundaries.. but your wreath truly tops the charts! Awesome job!!

24 Kim @ Sand & Sisal December 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I am absolutely blown away by this project! Bravo girlfriend! I pinned it to the Better Homes & Gardens Blogger Favs board because you totally deserve the huge exposure on this one! In awe!

25 Diane Henkler December 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Thank you so much Kim – XOXO That is a great board – I truly appreciate it.