Vacationing With My Sibs in OCNJ

Ocean city NJ Beach House

Happy Friday! I hope you had a good week. I have been having a very good one. This is where I have been hanging out this week with my siblings and their families.

Growing up, my family always went to Ocean City, NJ for the month of August. Since our mom and dad have passed away, it was nice to hang out with my brother and sisters in a place that holds a gazillion fond childhood memories for each of us.

Like this one…

4 siblings

My mom took this photo of my siblings and I when we were vacationing “down the shore” in the summer of 1969.  Left to right – I am third in line. It was the summer when Neil Armstrong first stepped on the moon. I was 10 years old.

I thought it would be fun to take the same photo this week – 45 years later!

siblings

So much has changed, yet so much about vacationing at the shore with my brother and sisters has stayed the same.  :-)

The house we are staying in is a new house that still had a “Wet Paint” sign on the entry door for the 3rd floor that was unoccupied.

Ocean-City-NJ-house

You know how much I love a water view.  This house did not disappoint. It is a duplex. The first floor is split in half long ways.  The street side has an entrance that goes to the 3rd floor. The opposite side of the house has an entry that goes to the 2nd floor.

Each unit sleeps 10.  We stayed on the second floor. There are 12 of us, so two of us are sleeping on inflatable beds.  My brother found out it was for sale. I could move right in if I had a few million hanging around. :-)    We joked that if one of us wins the lottery they will buy the house and can have the 3rd floor and let the other 3 share the 2nd floor.  Fun to dream, right?

It was pretty close to perfect…the only thing it was missing was a screened-in porch, a porch swing, and an outdoor shower. If it were my house, I would most definitely add them.

Great-room

My favorite part was the wall of doors.

ocean-view

I need to “Pin” this photo to my Pinterest Board, Life is All About the View. I am spending a lot of my time sitting on this porch.

Pretty dining room chairs

I haven’t been sitting inside much, but I want to take these chairs home with me.  They are solid and so pretty. A few of them still had the protective plastic on the seats… that is how new they are. I like the rug too – a soft sisal.

Beach-vacation-needs

This photo sums the week up the best – carefree fun in the sun with family.

Ocean-City-nj-lifegurd-stand

I didn’t take a lot of photos since I was trying to just relax and enjoy the time off.  Next week I will get back to projects and DIY.

Ocean-City-NJ

It is going to be hard leaving, but I will have many new memories to add to the ones I already have of the happiest place on earth.

I hope you are or did get to enjoy some downtime this summer with your family.

Elsewhere on the web this week:

Have you heard about Snapguide?  It is a new way to learn through short slide tutorials. I wrote my first one for Glidden this week. At first I thought it was going to be hard to figure it out, but it is so easy.  Anyone can make one, you don’t have to be a blogger. You could create a favorite family recipe and make it into a guide for all your friends and family that always ask for the recipe. Lots of possibilities can be created – it is all up to your own vision.

If you enjoy working with concrete, my outdoor Restoration Hardware Fire Columns are being featured over at Bob Vila’s site this week along with a few other projects in a DIY competition.

BVThmbBdgeGrn

Happy weekend!

Comments

WOW, this looks wonderful, your so lucky to be staying in such brilliant surroundings, with so many happy memories for you all, enjoy.x

2. Sheryll & Critters. says

How wonderful for you to get this gorgeous vacation with your family. Enjoy it while you have it and don’t be worrying about the blog for now. You stay so busy all or most all of the time that I think you sure deserve it. I am having trouble typing with Shaymus The Orange Kitty Kat nudging me….. my little sweetie pie.

3. Karen says

I grew up going to OC, NJ too! Many happy memories “down the shore” :-) So wonderful you could continue making them with your siblings!! We’re still making them with our children. Thx for sharing!!

4. Vikki says

Holy beach cottage ~~ girl. That is quite a place. So glad you are enjoy some time with the family. You know the blog will be waiting for you when you get home :). Vikki in VA

5. Debbie says

I grew up going to Ocean City too. Our family was there in August as well, starting in 1968…bet we crossed paths some where along the way…so fun and such wonderful memories!

6. Shirley says

Oh my it looks like a little piece of heaven. Thanks for sharing and I am sure your parents were looking down on you and enjoying all of you together.

God Bless

7. Pam Fulford says

Love the house but really love the porch and chairs..I love swinging or rocking on a porch..You are a very special talented person…so glad you had the opportunity to spend time and relax with your family…

8. Ace says

It’s so great to have a family tradition such as this – the change in 45 years is amazing! Thanks for the post.

9. patricia says

what a dream place for you and your families to stay. I love American homes. They have such beautiful architectural features and always seem to be so well designed.

10. Dana Moore says

So good to hear about Ocean City, New Jersey. I live in NC and my parents have a home there, on 18th street, on the bay. I have enjoyed the summers with them for many years, in fact I’m on my way now to spend the remainder of the summer. I read your blog and enjoy it so much. Thank you for sharing…..

That’s so awesome you and your siblings are so close! I’ve got two sisters and we are hardly close! So this is a beautiful thing you guys do. Glad to see! Enjoy!

Serena @ Thrift Diving

12. Chris Wilson says

I love the past and present photos…fun idea! Shore trips were and are always special, and you have such a gift of putting your story to print so well:)

13. Lore says

Oh my, instant relaxation mode upon viewing pictures. So glad you were able to take the time off and be with family in a such beautiful home on the gorgeous Jersey Shore. Thank you for sharing!

14. Mary says

So fun! I, too, grew up going to Ocean City! My cousins had a place on 12th Street. What great memories! It is wonderful that you and your siblings could go back to share the memories and enjoy your time together.