Have you always wanted to make a Christmas throw pillow with festive trim for your holiday decor, but the cost to purchase fancy decorative trim is too expensive?
I am here to show you that you can make your own budget-friendly festive trim for a throw pillow, drapery or a blanket throw using ribbon.
When decorating a guest room in my house, I was challenged to use only what was in a box of Waverly fabrics, paints and ribbons. I took it on to create Christmas decorations for the room all the way down to making a fabric cover for the poinsettia pot.
You can read more about it in this post:
I used the fabric in the box to make simple sew pillow covers in festive colors, but wanted one decorative pillow with trim around the edges.
I could only use what was in the box and came up with the idea to make loops with the red ribbon.
The pillow turned out better than I imagined. I placed it on a bed, but it would look just as nice in your living room on your couch.
How to Make a Festive DIY Christmas Pillow
- 1 yard Waverly Inspirations fabric
- 1 roll of Waverly Inspirations 1-1/2″ wide decorative ribbon
- 1- 18″ square pillow form
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Cut two pieces of fabric to 21″ x 21″. If using a fabric with a pattern on it, place right sides together after cutting.
2. Cut the entire roll of ribbon into 2″ long pieces.
3. Lay fabric right side up on worktable. Fold a piece of ribbon in half and pin 1/4″ from corner on one side of fabric.
4. Continue pinning loops of ribbon all around the square of fabric.
5. Leave 1/4″ free from the ribbon loops at each corner.
6. Sew a 1/4″ seam along the outside edge of ribbon all around the square of fabric. Remove pins.
7. Place and center tip piece of pillow fabric face down on fabric with ribbon loops, pin edges together.
Sew a 1/2″ seam all around, leaving half of one side open. You will sew this closed after inserting the pillow form.
Remove pins and turn the cover so the right sides are out. Press if needed.
8. Insert pillow form. Pin opening and sew closed.
For more budget friendly trim ideas, you will find them in this post I wrote on all the creative ways you can add embellishments and trim to pillows, draperies, towels and more.
With that project checked off your list, it’s time to grab a cup of tea and explore my project gallery for more Christmas decorating projects.