How to transform a small inexpensive coffee table with storage into a rolling game table for you and your family to enjoy game night together or to use as a moveable flat surface when assembling a jigsaw puzzle.
Back in my early days of blogging, 2012 to be exact, Wayfair, you know the home furnishing website had a Furniture Makeover DIY blogger Challenge and I was a participant. If you have been reading my blog since back then, you may remember this challenge.
The participating bloggers got to choose one of 3 designated items that Wayfair sold on their website at the time. Once chosen, we had the freedom to transform the piece of furniture any way we wanted.
The 3 items we got to choose from were – a bookcase, hanging light, or a coffee table.
I chose the coffee table.
Coffee Table Before
This is what the coffee table looked like before I turned it into a rolling game table.
- It is called the Kento Coffee Table with Storage. Simple, affordable and modern with two collapsible fabric storage drawers.
Recently when I was browsing the Wayfair site, I saw that they still sell the coffee table, but now they have the table in many pretty colors, including the turquoise color I painted it for the furniture makeover challenge. Back in 2012, it only came in the color Espresso.
How to Make a Rolling Game Table
The reason I wanted to update this post is to show you what can be done to any coffee table, not just this one. Perhaps you have an old beat up coffee table in your basement that you don’t know how to use. Maybe you saw one at a thrift store that piqued your interest, but didn’t have any idea on how you could use it.
With the addition of a wood shelf, veneer edging, DIY chalk paint, and wheels, any coffee table or low table can become a versatile rolling table.
We stored all of our games under the table, plus the table could be easily wheeled to where we wanted to use it. If you have an ongoing game or puzzle you are working on, the rolling table is the perfect spot to set it up to complete it– easily accessible, but out of the way when not in use.
After using it as a game/puzzle table in my family room, I found the table was even more versatile than I originally realized. It also worked perfectly as a TV component table for under the wall mounted TV in the fitness room in my previous house.
Other Uses for the Low Rolling Table
The rolling table can also be used as:
- A child’s portable creative art station.
- A portable fireside table for cozy dining on a cold autumn or winter night.
How to Make a Rolling Game Table Using a Coffee Table
This tutorial shows how I transformed the Wayfair coffee table, but you can use it as the inspiration to transform any coffee table you may have.
- Kento Coffee Table with Storage
- 4 wheels – one with a locking brake
- Wood or particle board cut to size: 16″ x 24″
- 12 self- drilling wood screws – 1- 1/2” long
- 16 Fender steel washers- #10 3/16” x 3/4”
- 16 wood screws – 3/4”
- Veneer Edging – I used 3/4″ White Birch that already has a glue backing.
- Paint and primer or chalk paint
- Stain or glaze
- Paint brush
How to Assemble Coffee Table
1. Assemble the coffee table following manufacturer’s directions, but do not add the floor bumper slider tacks to the bottom.
How to Make and Attach Wood Shelf and Wheels to Bottom of Coffee Table
1. Cut wood to size of the table. Turn table upside down and attach the particle board/wood to the bottom of the legs using 3 screws on each leg.
2. Attach a wheel to each corner of the particle board. Place a washer in between the screw hole in the wheel base and the screw.
How to Add Iron-On Wood Veneer Edging to Sides of Particle Board
1. To add veneer edging to the unfinished edge of the particle board, flip the table on the side. Start on the same side where the two original shelf edge banding meets. This way all the seams will be on the same side.
2. Unroll the edging and line it up evenly with the top edge. Use an iron on the cotton setting to adhere it to the veneer tape, and then to the edge of the particle board. Slowly press the iron over edging. Check as you go along that the glue is melting. You can trim the corners with a pair of scissors or carefully bend and wrap the veneer around the corners. To ensure the bond – while still hot, press down firmly with a wood block. If you make a mistake, simply reheat and reapply.
How to Paint Rolling Game Table
1. I mixed my own DIY chalk paint and applied 2 light coats, letting each one dry before applying the next.
2. Sand edges with medium grit sandpaper. Rub glaze over table and then quickly remove with a soft cloth.
3. Rub paste wax over all the surfaces, let dry about 20 minutes and then buff to a shine with a soft cloth.
- For more details on how to glaze and wax, see the post I wrote – How To Make and Paint with Chalk Paint
The height of the table with the wheels added was perfect for sitting around on the floor or sitting on a sofa and pulling up a few chairs.
If there is one thing I want you to take away from this post it is this:
Just because an item has a name that refers to its function (coffee table) like this table had, it doesn’t mean it has to always serve that function. Think of ways to repurpose items to your needs. It’s not only an affordable way to decorate, but also a way to create one of a kind furnishings customized for you and your family.