How to Easily Decorate Your Front Door For Fall

Changing the wreath on my front door from Summer to Autumn is one of my favorite decorating rituals.  It is one of the first signals to me that my favorite time of year is here. I always feel like celebrating after I hang it.

Recently when I was getting some fabric at JoAnn’s Fabrics I found a long and narrow profile – hanging basket. I LOVED it and knew it would be perfect for my front door.

Dollar-Store-Decorating-Fal

They had two sizes – I bought the larger one.  Luckily I had a 50% off coupon as it had a $29.99 price tag.   $15.00 was a much better price.  I wanted to keep the cost to fill it down so I went to the good ole Dollar Tree and bought a few Autumn leaf bouquets.  Some have leaves of different colors and some have  purple mums.    The Dollar Tree has a entire wall filled with all sorts of fall foliage.  I got a few of each to add lots of color to my basket.

TADA!!!  Super Simple. Done in under 5 minutes!!!

Easiest front door décor I ever made – assembled!  Adds Autumn splendor plus lots of impact to my front door at the same time.  I am looking forward to seeing how it looks when the sun finally comes out. It has been pouring rain here all week.  I finally got a small window of opportunity this morning when the skies dried up a bit  and I could go outside without getting drenched to snap these photos.

Fall-Basket-filled-with-leaves from the dollar store

Easy DIY – Door Basket filled with Dollar Store Leaves

Pink-CircleIf you have or can find a long basket that has a narrow profile at your local thrift store, you can simply tie rope on the back of it to create one just like this to hang on your door.

These colors are so YUMMY!!! I love The Dollar Tree  xo

Fall-Leaves-bought-at-the-d

One of my friends actually thought I did  the crackle finish on the door on purpose!!! Oh yeah – that is what I did  :-)   :-)  looks perfect for fall doesn’t it?   Not really – my front door is exposed to the elements and takes a beating –plus it is metal and acts like an oven in the hot sun which bakes the painted finish and cracks the surface. We have used the very best metal primer every time we strip it down to repaint.  It just conducts the heat and cold too much and always ends up like this after a few years.  Will have to add repainting it to my to-do list.

Autumn-Front-Door-Decorating Ideas

Front Door Decor

To hang the basket and wreaths that I use on the door for the other seasons I painted a brass wreath hanger to match my door.  This way the hanger blends in with the door and doesn’t show.

Decorating Ideas for Fall - Front Door Basket filled with Dollar Store Leaves

My Front Door

Want to see my back door?

How to Make the Easiest Fall Wreath Ever

My-Signature

I am linking to:

Tidy Mom Finding Fabulous Funky Junk Interiors Tatertots and Jello Addicted 2 Decorating Decorating on a Shoestring Just a Girl 504 Main Serenity Now Remodelaholic SAS Interiors My RePurposed Life The Shabby Nest Fingerprints On The Fridge Under the Table and Dreaming The DIY Showoff Southern Hospitality

Comments

I’ve needed to use items like this with a slender profile on my front door, Diane, because of the storm door. I had found a pre-done “pocket” at Michaels one year and it worked great. A wreath sometimes just has too much bulkiness, especially where there is a storm door involved. I think, if I remember, the new place will have enough of an overhang that I can safely hang things outside the front door. That will be a refreshing change!

I love the fall look for your door, Diane. Fall in PA is just the best. Our front door was black as well and exposed to the elements, hence why we decided to go yellow. But I think yours still looks great!

What a great idea to paint your wreath hanger to match the door. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do that. My door is a burnt orange, so you can imagine how that brass wreath hanger stands out. Thanks so much for the tip. (I like how your leaf basket turned out also.)

I love how it turned out Diane – I was just thinking about fall decor today – who knows why? What I really need to be doing is finishing unpacking :)

Have a great weekend
    Ashlyn

I love the Dollar Tree! They have great stuff for so cheap. Your basket looks great. I like the idea of painting the hanger to match the door. I might have to do that if we have enough paint left!

HI Laura-

If you don’t have any paint leftover, see if you can closely match the color of your door with some enamel crafts paint. There are literally 100’s of color to choose from and it only cost a dollar or two. You only need a little bit. The enamel finish will hold up better in the long run.

6. Denise says

This arrangement looks gorgeous aganist your dark door. No way does it look “Dollar Tree”. Great idea about painting the hanger to match the door. So simple yet I never would have thunk it.

Keep the great ideas coming Diane!

Hi Denise-

Sometimes the dollar store stuff looks pretty “cheap”, but other times you can find some great goodies to decorate with. The Dollar Tree I go to is quite popular and if you want to get the good stuff you have to get it as soon as they put it out.

It looks really great. You know I havee never really shopped the Dollar Stores here for florals…I get kid’s “junk” there all the time though…time to pay it a visit I guess! xo Diana

So pretty. I am inspired to make one for our front door. I hope our local Dollar Tree has some pretty fall colors. You are welcome to post your project or any projects on my link up. I am going to follow along & look round at your lovely blog now.

I was just in Dollar Tree buying florets for my fall wreath. Love them. Great idea to paint the hanger the same color as the door. Genius!

Can’t say fall really ever arrives in San Diego, but I go with it and put out fall stuff anyways LOL I didn’t even notic the crackle until you pointed it out, isn’t that funny how we do that? The fall leaves in the basket are so pretty, great job and great price on the updated fall decor

• JaneEllen says

This is hottest time of year for you in San Diego. I remember going to beach on New Years Day when we lived there, but inland in Santee. My son lives in ElCajon and he was complaining about how hot it is.Heck you don’t really have winter either.
      I always felt bad for the kids in school as summer really arrives when they have to go back to school. Too much of the summer is ruined with the June gloom all summer depending on the year.

I love the looks of the basket on the door. And I must add I love the crackle look to the door also. It looks like it belongs there.

My front door also does the same. We are looking for a new door for it and are having a hard time finding one. It goes onto a heated front porch room and the door is short due to a low ceiling slant. So we have to have a door that we can take a bit off the bottom for there. Solid wood for outside doors is hard to find. They seem to cover al the wood with steel nowdays.

Karan

Hi Karan-

It does look ok this time of year, but it is getting bubbled now too. Time to re-paint. I know if I paint the door a lighter color it would not conduct the heat as much and perhaps not crackle the finish.

12. Coastal Femme says

Adorable Diane…. and that’s a good tip about painting your hanger the same color as your door.

If you hadn’t mentioned the painted hanger I never would have seen it. Very clever idea! I guess you have learned a lot of secrets on doing displays doing your job. Happy Fall!!! It is just starting to cool down at night here which is great cause we had a heatwave for a few weeks.

Thanks Bettsi-

That would be a nice added touch. No one ever comes to my front door. I add a wreath or in this case the basket so it looks nice from the street view. The Fed Ex and UPS guys don’t even come to the front. My side door is where people come and go – maybe I will add a monogram to the wreath that I have hanging there. I like the single letter ones. I have never made one, but have been tempted many times.

hooray for dollar store decorating!! I never see such good looking florals at my dollar stores…just really cheesy and icky 80’s looking ones! I think it’s be super cute to add a monogram to the front of the basket too!

Hi Diann, I have your wreath featured on my blog post today!! I thought the leaves were real and Kim told me they were faux and from the dollar store!!! Great job and I love the way it turned out!!! Kathysue

16. JaneEllen says

I am envious of your basket with all those gorgeous leaves. You must have hit $tree when they first put out the good stuff. Your basket is so awesome. Love your blog Diane and enjoy every project you do.
    By the time I get to go to $tree all the goodies I read about bloggers getting is gone. It’s nice to live out in country but not when you want the bargains or have to wait for SS payday.