A Little Bit of Chic,Warm, and Snugly

Before I started moving my studioffice all around last week, I started making something to keep me warm as it is COLD!!! outside and I like it warm. This past weekend it snowed, which made for a nice snow day on Saturday, but the throw blanket I keep in my living room to snuggle up with has not been available for about 2 months now.  You will find out why below.

I needed to finish up embellishing a new throw I bought at Marshall’s to keep me all comfy cozy.  It is large, furry, fuchsia, soft and super cuddly – perfect for the winter months, plus it gives my room an added color pop.  When I bought it, it had plain edges, but I knew I would be adding big pom poms to embellish it and make it my own.

Mondo Pom Pom Throw tutorial

This project all started when a certain new member of my household took over my warm and snuggly leopard throw. Like we humans, Kindi, my daughter’s dog, likes it is all snuggly – comfy cozy.  This is her favorite spot, perhaps the throw reminds her of Africa where she was born and lived the the first year of her life.  She doesn’t mind snuggling with my husband either. I didn’t have the heart to keep taking it away from her when I wanted to use it, so I had find something new to use.

cute dog sleeping

Sometimes I don’t even see her as she blends right in. You can see why I couldn’t take it away from her.   Dog on blanket

I got my inspiration to make the pom pom trim when I saw this photo in an old Woman’s Day magazine from the late 60’s that I found at a thrift store.  I don’t knit or know how to weave, but maybe in time for spring I can have one of my knitting friends make one for me – I will make the pom poms.  I know I want to infuse a lighter pink into my family room once I can open up my windows again. I love the colors – pink, lavender and tangerine.  This is such a classic photo – the car, the turtle neck  – very chic.  Shows you that classics – are always in style.

Pom Pom Trim Afhgan

From woman’s Day Magazine Jan 1968

How to Make a Pom Pom Throw Blanket

This was a very easy project that I did while I watched a movie on TV.  The throw was on my lap keeping me all nice and warm while I worked on it.

How to Make a Pom Pom

I used 4 different colors of yarn.

1.  Cut a piece of cardboard 3 1/2” square .  Begin to make the pom pom by wrapping your yarn around the cardboard. I went around 30 times for each of my pom poms. If you are using only one color yarn you will have to wrap about 100 times to get a mondo size pop pom.

How to make a pom pomHow to make a pom pom with yarn

2.  Once the yarn is wrapped around the cardboard, cut the ends.  Carefully remove from the cardboard.

cut-ends-of-yarnRemove-yarn-from-cardboard

3. Lay the wrapped yarn on an 8-inch piece of yarn and then tie it tightly around the wrapped yarn.  Make a double knot to secure.   You may want to have someone hold their finger over the knot as you tie to make sure you tie the yarn on as tightly as you can.

How to make a pom pomPom pom making tutorial

4.  Hold the 2 ends of the 8-inch piece of yarn that is wrapped around the pom pom  in one hand and place one scissor tip into the loops and start cutting the loops open.  Do not cut off the tied 8-inch piece of yarn, keep it long.  You need these ends to tie the pom pom onto your throw.  Once the loops are all open, give the pom pom a haircut with scissors shaping it into a nice round shape.  You can make it small and dense or large and fluffy.

How to make a pom pomHow to cut a pom pom

How to Tie Pom Poms onto the Throw

I spaced the pom poms 6” apart.

Simply thread one of the end pieces from the 8-inch piece of yarn that is tied around the pom pom into a large eye needle.

How to add a pom pom to the edge of fabric or a blanket

Once the yarn is through the edge of the throw, remove the needle and tie the pom pom on using the other tied end.  Make a few knots so you know it will be secure.

Hoe to make a pom pomHow to make a pom pom

It truly brightens up the room and it so cozy and warm.  <3

How to make a pom pom

How to make a pom pom and embellish a throw blanket

How are you staying warm and snugly this Winter?  I am going to make a super simple and yum-O veggie soup for dinner tonight and eat it by the fire all wrapped up in my fun new throw.

Comments

Hi Diane, I’ll be featuring your PomPom throw tomorrow night at Project Queen’s Highlight Party. Thank you so much for linking up! Love it!!!

Mandy
    Projectqueen.org

What a great creation! I used to make these pom poms all the time as a kid. I’m going to go get a throw this week and make one of these for myself. It would make a great gift as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Shari
      Turnstylevogue.com

I thoroughly enjoy your tutorial on the pom pom throw; but, I do not have a printer at home :(

Would you be able to send me the instructions for pom pom and quilt to my office @ smarco@eskridge.net ?

My daughter’s birthday is March 3rd…would love to make it for her ?

Thanks a million.

Susie Marco :)

Kindii was born in Africa and became my daughter’s pet while she was there serving in the Peace Corps. She fit into my daughters palm when she first got her. In Africa the dogs are wild and the people don’t treat them nicely on a whole. When my daughters service was up she couldn’t bare to leave her there knowing she would probably starve and be ignored, so she jumped through hoops to fly her home to the states with her. She is now Mom and Dads dog as my daughter is leaving for medical school in August and can’t take Kindii with her. Kindii is a sweetie – we love her. She is 1 1/2 years old.

So clever! I like yours better than the original! Love your pup too! Reminds me of our Red Heeler, who is a wonderful dog also! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

4. patricia says

Hihihi! I just discovered your blog and I am devouring it every chance I get. I have not been so excited over a blog in a very long time. Please don’t misunderstand…there are many amazing blogs out there but only 1 other has ever had me so giddy! You are amazing Mrs. Henkler and can I say I heart you! lol please don’t get scared or worry, I promise I won’t become too obsessive! I have an off the wall question. I have been searching high and low for slipcovers for a very long time. I can’t seem to find any that sweep me off my feet. So my question for you…is your funiture slipcovered? I love the look of your furniture and it’s almost exactly what I was looking for. If I should ever be so lucky..could you direct me in the right direction please. Thank you so much! BTW.. the throw is gorgeous. :)

Hi Valerie – I have not put it in the washer – only in one of those generic brand dry cleaning bags that goes in your dryer. It came out fine – a few cut threads from the pom-poms came loose, but other than that – they are intact.

5. Cheryl says

Dianne,
    You did a beautiful job on your throw! Have you tried washing it? I am making an off white throw and wanted to put colorful pom poms on it, but am concerned about it being light, if I could in fact wash it! This is the second time in two days I have been looking at your creative ideas! I think I am hooked! thanks for the ideas

Hi Cheryl – Thanks – yes I have washed the throw, but very carefully. I use one of those Dryel dry cleaner bags that you put the item in and then put it in your dryer to clean. I also spot clean it when I spill something on it. The white color may need cleaning more often then the dark fuschia color I used. It is the throw that everyone wants to use when they are snuggling on the sofa to read or watch a movie.

6. Susan says

I bought the exact same throw. I like yours so much better. I’ll be out shopping for yarn as soon as the Milwaukee’s -40 degree wind chill weather breaks. Thanks for the great pom-pom instructions.

7. Judy says

Hi Diane, really enjoyed the tutorial for the pom pom throw, and loved the vintage pic from WD. The model reminds me of Coleen Corby, a very famous 1960s model whose pix were in every mag (ie “Seventeen,” which my BFF and I pored over every month.) In restrospect I like those pom poms a lot better than the unflattering shift dresses we tried to pour our high school selves into, lol! Thanks for a day brightener.