A Little Bit of Chic,Warm, and Snugly

by Diane Henkler on 01/23/2012

Before I started moving my studioffice all around last week, I started making something to keep me warm as it is COLD!!! outside and I like it warm. This past weekend it snowed, which made for a nice snow day on Saturday, but the throw blanket I keep in my living room to snuggle up with has not been available for about 2 months now.  You will find out why below.

I needed to finish up embellishing a new throw I bought at Marshall’s to keep me all comfy cozy.  It is large, furry, fuchsia, soft and super cuddly – perfect for the winter months, plus it gives my room an added color pop.  When I bought it, it had plain edges, but I knew I would be adding big pom poms to embellish it and make it my own.

Mondo Pom Pom Throw tutorial

This project all started when a certain new member of my household took over my warm and snuggly leopard throw. Like we humans, Kindi, my daughter’s dog, likes it is all snuggly – comfy cozy.  This is her favorite spot, perhaps the throw reminds her of Africa where she was born and lived the the first year of her life.  She doesn’t mind snuggling with my husband either. I didn’t have the heart to keep taking it away from her when I wanted to use it, so I had find something new to use.

cute dog sleeping

Sometimes I don’t even see her as she blends right in. You can see why I couldn’t take it away from her.   Dog on blanket

I got my inspiration to make the pom pom trim when I saw this photo in an old Woman’s Day magazine from the late 60’s that I found at a thrift store.  I don’t knit or know how to weave, but maybe in time for spring I can have one of my knitting friends make one for me – I will make the pom poms.  I know I want to infuse a lighter pink into my family room once I can open up my windows again. I love the colors – pink, lavender and tangerine.  This is such a classic photo – the car, the turtle neck  – very chic.  Shows you that classics – are always in style.

Pom Pom Trim Afhgan

From woman’s Day Magazine Jan 1968

How to Make a Pom Pom Throw Blanket

This was a very easy project that I did while I watched a movie on TV.  The throw was on my lap keeping me all nice and warm while I worked on it.

How to Make a Pom Pom

I used 4 different colors of yarn.

1.  Cut a piece of cardboard 3 1/2” square .  Begin to make the pom pom by wrapping your yarn around the cardboard. I went around 30 times for each of my pom poms. If you are using only one color yarn you will have to wrap about 100 times to get a mondo size pop pom.

How to make a pom pom How to make a pom pom with yarn

2.  Once the yarn is wrapped around the cardboard, cut the ends.  Carefully remove from the cardboard.

cut-ends-of-yarnRemove-yarn-from-cardboard

3. Lay the wrapped yarn on an 8-inch piece of yarn and then tie it tightly around the wrapped yarn.  Make a double knot to secure.   You may want to have someone hold their finger over the knot as you tie to make sure you tie the yarn on as tightly as you can.

How to make a pom pom Pom pom making tutorial

4.  Hold the 2 ends of the 8-inch piece of yarn that is wrapped around the pom pom  in one hand and place one scissor tip into the loops and start cutting the loops open.  Do not cut off the tied 8-inch piece of yarn, keep it long.  You need these ends to tie the pom pom onto your throw.  Once the loops are all open, give the pom pom a haircut with scissors shaping it into a nice round shape.  You can make it small and dense or large and fluffy.

How to make a pom pomHow to cut a pom pom

How to Tie Pom Poms onto the Throw

I spaced the pom poms 6” apart.

Simply thread one of the end pieces from the 8-inch piece of yarn that is tied around the pom pom into a large eye needle.

How to add a pom pom to the edge of fabric or a blanket

Once the yarn is through the edge of the throw, remove the needle and tie the pom pom on using the other tied end.  Make a few knots so you know it will be secure.

Hoe to make a pom pomHow to make a pom pom

It truly brightens up the room and it so cozy and warm.  <3

How to make a pom pom

How to make a pom pom and embellish a throw blanket

How are you staying warm and snugly this Winter?  I am going to make a super simple and yum-O veggie soup for dinner tonight and eat it by the fire all wrapped up in my fun new throw.

Pin It

1 Susan Bishop January 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love, love, love the throw!

2 Debbie~refreshrestyle January 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Love it Diane! Pom Pom’s are so fun!

3 Tiffany January 23, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Super cute, Diane! I love how you brain is always working to make something already great just a bit better. I’ll be pinning this!

4 Diane January 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Thanks Tiffany. Once I saw that photo in the old magazine with the pom poms – my mind would not rest until I could figure out a way I could create something similar.

5 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

What a great throw, Diane! I loved it even before the pom poms ~ it looks so soft. With the pom poms, I am in lust! Love the colors of yarn you used and they are a great size for this throw.

6 Diane January 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hi Kathy – I like the word you used – in lust! :) It is probably the best throw I have ever had… and I have a lot. They are like house jewelery to me – a girl can never have enough. This one is extra big and cozy and my hubs will probably never use it because it is “pink”. It is all mine.

7 Elizabeth @ Blue Clear Sky January 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Very pretty and colourful! I love the reminder of the pompoms my sister’s mil used to put on our crocheted ponchos.

8 Diane January 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Elizabeth – I had a poncho that my mom made for me when I was a kid. It just had fringe – no pom poms :( But my mom made my sisters and I pom poms for our hair in every color imaginable. I felt pretty chic. Thanks for bringing back that fond memory.

9 gina January 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

My mom made my sisters and I ponchos with fringe too! Ours weren’t crocheted though….believe they were double knit…HA! What a memory!! Believe she made some for our friends too…all matching. Bet that was a sight at school!

10 Amanda @ House Revivals January 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Diane, I love this and I love your inspiration picture — so classic! I’m going to link to this on my Facebook page :)

11 Ashlyn@Pinecone January 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

It looks like you bought it at a very pricey boutique!
Thanks for the pom pom tutorial too.
xo
Ashlyn

12 Holly Lefevre January 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

OH my gosh – I love every single thing about this…the color and the pom poms are amazing. You made pom poms chic! I always said pom poms are not just for parties and kids! LOVE that ad from Woman;s Day too! You are brilliant. Off to buy a throw and make my own!

13 Beverly {Flamingo Toes} January 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm

This is so cute!! I love how your throw looks with the giant pompoms!! What a great idea!

14 Lesley January 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I forgot all about pom poms!! Pinned this. Thanks!

15 Jenna January 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I popped over after seeing this on Pinterest. This is amazing!! I’m totally in love!

16 Patricia January 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Your throw is beautiful. I love the bright color. Your pom pom tutorial reminds me of when we made these as majorettes in the 7th and 8th grades. (We even added bells to them so you could hear us coming. hehehe) Thanks for the memories.

17 Brooke January 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I am IN LOVE!!

Brooke

18 Barbara @DIY Home Staging Tips January 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I literally gasped when I saw that gorgeous throw on the arm of your chair. I want one! This looks unbelievably easy, even for us non-knitters. Home-made poms-poms, who knew? I’m pinning this, too. My beagle takes over any throws as well, so I have to put them in unreachable spots or else surrender them.

19 Melissa January 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm

LOVE it! The pom poms are soooo cute! Saw you on Today’s Creative Blog. I’m hosting a Love theme linky party also and would love it if you stop by and post something!
-Melissa

20 Cussot January 23, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Oh, I love that colour combination, too. Your pompoms look fabulous. The original blanket looks as though it was woven on one of those little square looms like a Weavette.

21 Betsy @ Anna Nimmity January 23, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Adorable! Love the pom poms and the vintage photo, too! I’m stopping by from Today’s Creative Blog.

22 gina January 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Love it! I used to make tassels that way as a child years ago. Can’t recall making pompoms but know I had pompom trim on my curtains, lampshade etc. I may have to copy you and make myself a throw!! Your daughters dog is adorable. Really does blend in on the leopard throw!

23 Lynne January 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Your throw looks scrumptious on the ottoman and the white furniture
. . . great color pop!

24 Bettsi January 23, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh wow, I love that throw! Now I think I need one too- it looks so cozy! Also, I just have to say it again- that Kindii is so cute! I bet you get so many comments when you take her out. It’s not every day that you see a tiger striped dog! You have to figure, she’s probably more cold than you are since she is really not used to our northern temperatures. I’m glad you let her keep the throw.

25 Kristen January 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I am officially stealing this idea! I have a cozy navy blanket that I havent used yet-totally going to add blue/silvery Pom poms!!!! Love your blog do much!

26 Sonya January 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Love, love, too cute. Enough said

27 Laura@Elegant Nest January 24, 2012 at 12:01 am

I simply LOVE your new throw Diane. The color is one I might have never considered until I see it here…and adding the pom poms make it even more perfect! Your creativity on this project…and all of your projects inspires me!

28 Dana January 24, 2012 at 8:12 am

Wow! This just gave me a flashback to my childhood. I seem to remember making pom poms but had totally forgotten it until I read your post! Your throw turned out fabulous. Thanks for the memory!

29 Shelley January 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

What a fun throw!!! I just finished a mondo Pom Pom pillow for my little girl a couple of days ago. This would be a perfect addition!

30 Sheryll & Critters. January 24, 2012 at 8:48 am

I just love your new throw!!! Just gorgeous. And it brings back fond memories of those Woman’s Day Magazines. I had years of them, but I do not remember that one. Remember the dress patterns that you could make so easily they would have? I need to see what kind of deal I can get on them now. I so miss them.

And this remind me of my very first ever throw pillows for my very first sofa! It was a beautiful washable velvet that I tied dyed and had bright orange yarn pom poms, but only on each corner. Everyone loved them so much the wanted to use them as pillows to lay on…… grrrr! lol

I have a tip, I used to put a string of yarn over one end of the card board for the tie…. just dab some Tacky Glue on it to keep it from sliding around. Even easier if you are making large pom poms is to use a small (tiny) box, like a one a necklace came in.

31 Sheryll & Critters. January 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

Also, use this to make a wide fringe for a shoulder wrap, that can double as a sexy belt. Use fabric and yarn that is washable and make it at least 12 inches wide to maybe 15 inches. Then add the fringe. How long you make it depends on how dramatic you want it to be. Mine was very long and everyone begged me to sell it to them….. so I ended up custom making them for a few friend. They used to say immitation is the best form of flattery. Like we ALL immitate you! And love it!

32 Catherine In NJ January 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

LOVE the Pom Poms!!!! Love the pooch too.

33 Paula Pierce January 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for the pom pom tutorial. I have seen a rug made out of pom poms. . . I wonder if I would have the patience to make that many of them! Maybe I better try out a few first.

34 Angie S January 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Now that is just pure AWESOMENESS!!! And what a cute cuddly dog! I couldn’t disturb him either!

35 Dawn January 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Love the pom poms, so cute! I can understand why you couldn’t take the blanket away from doggie, that happens here too. My min pinscher will hunker down on my favorite throw and I will go get another, just can’t disturb him! What a pretty dog, interesting coat.

36 Denise January 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Super adorable. I remember Pom-Poms were really popular in the late ’60′s early ’70′s in both home decor and clothing.

Love those pics of Kindi snoozin’…not a care in the world!

37 Linda January 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Soo cute, cute, cute!

38 jeannie January 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Oh my goodness. Found you through WOW link party. I am in love with this idea. Thank you so much for the tutorial. My daughters will love to do this!!

maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

39 jeannie January 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

40 Upscale Downhome January 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

Adore this idea and shared it on Twitter! I think cuddling up with a pink throw with pom poms could make any day better…gorgeous!

41 Laura@Ms Smartie Pants January 25, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I love this idea and it will give me something to do with my yarn obsession. I do know how to crochet but honestly it isn’t fast enough for me, I usually want instant gratification! And I always pick up an Old Woman’s Day/Family Circle when I am at a thrift store. My own collection goes back to 1978. Beautiful throw!

42 Diane January 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hi Laura-

I love these old issues of the magazines, too – There is just something about them that I love. It is fun to see how some things have changed a lot and others not at all.

43 Pam January 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh my gosh! Too cute for words!!

44 Melody of ChattyChics.com January 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Diane, this awesome! You’re a genius! PLEASE come link this up at my place tonight as my party is getting ready to end! I would love to feature this in a future post! So pretty!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

45 Mª José January 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I love making pom poms.
The throw is very pretty!… and the dog very clever…

46 becky mercado January 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I love these pom poms. I tried to make some at one time but they were not quite fluffy. Do you use a thicker yarn or what type of yarn do you suggest. I’m not a knitter so don’t know much about yarn to buy.

Thanks so much
becky@reinventingtheordinary.com

47 Mandy January 30, 2012 at 12:15 am

Hi Diane, I’ll be featuring your PomPom throw tomorrow night at Project Queen’s Highlight Party. Thank you so much for linking up! Love it!!!

Mandy
Projectqueen.org

48 brandi January 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Such a creative idea! I love how you took inspiration from the magazine, but made it your own. Beautiful job!!

49 Shari @ Turnstyle Vogue January 31, 2012 at 1:27 am

What a great creation! I used to make these pom poms all the time as a kid. I’m going to go get a throw this week and make one of these for myself. It would make a great gift as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Shari
Turnstylevogue.com

50 Kristy January 31, 2012 at 11:07 am

Fabulous and cozy. Popping in from PROJECT QUEEN’S link party features.
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

51 Jessica January 31, 2012 at 11:56 pm

This is adorable!! I love pom poms – there has to be about a million ways to use them!

52 Vicki V February 3, 2012 at 8:06 am

Great, inexpensive and do-able idea! Love the colors you chose.

53 Susie Marco February 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

I thoroughly enjoy your tutorial on the pom pom throw; but, I do not have a printer at home :(

Would you be able to send me the instructions for pom pom and quilt to my office @ smarco@eskridge.net ?

My daughter’s birthday is March 3rd…would love to make it for her ?

Thanks a million.

Susie Marco :)

54 Amy March 15, 2012 at 1:00 am

Wow what a great idea! It’s beautiful!

55 hege May 14, 2012 at 7:13 am

Love it! I’m going to make one. Thank you for the tutorial.
hx

56 Susan June 8, 2012 at 12:22 am

Love the throw…Kindi is gorgeous. What is her story?

57 Diane June 9, 2012 at 11:58 am

Kindii was born in Africa and became my daughter’s pet while she was there serving in the Peace Corps. She fit into my daughters palm when she first got her. In Africa the dogs are wild and the people don’t treat them nicely on a whole. When my daughters service was up she couldn’t bare to leave her there knowing she would probably starve and be ignored, so she jumped through hoops to fly her home to the states with her. She is now Mom and Dads dog as my daughter is leaving for medical school in August and can’t take Kindii with her. Kindii is a sweetie – we love her. She is 1 1/2 years old.

58 Kristie August 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

So clever! I like yours better than the original! Love your pup too! Reminds me of our Red Heeler, who is a wonderful dog also! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

59 Rose M. December 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm

So cute! Especially the doggie! :)

60 patricia January 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hihihi! I just discovered your blog and I am devouring it every chance I get. I have not been so excited over a blog in a very long time. Please don’t misunderstand…there are many amazing blogs out there but only 1 other has ever had me so giddy! You are amazing Mrs. Henkler and can I say I heart you! lol please don’t get scared or worry, I promise I won’t become too obsessive! I have an off the wall question. I have been searching high and low for slipcovers for a very long time. I can’t seem to find any that sweep me off my feet. So my question for you…is your funiture slipcovered? I love the look of your furniture and it’s almost exactly what I was looking for. If I should ever be so lucky..could you direct me in the right direction please. Thank you so much! BTW.. the throw is gorgeous. :)

61 VALerie January 23, 2013 at 3:37 am

Super cute! Have you tried washing the throw? How do the pom poms hold up?

62 Diane Henkler January 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hi Valerie – I have not put it in the washer – only in one of those generic brand dry cleaning bags that goes in your dryer. It came out fine – a few cut threads from the pom-poms came loose, but other than that – they are intact.

63 Rubee January 23, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What a great idea and I loooooove the fuchsia color!

64 Suzanne January 26, 2013 at 10:06 am

This is such a fun idea! The splash of color it gives the room is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

65 Cheryl August 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Dianne,
You did a beautiful job on your throw! Have you tried washing it? I am making an off white throw and wanted to put colorful pom poms on it, but am concerned about it being light, if I could in fact wash it! This is the second time in two days I have been looking at your creative ideas! I think I am hooked! thanks for the ideas

66 Diane Henkler August 4, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Hi Cheryl – Thanks – yes I have washed the throw, but very carefully. I use one of those Dryel dry cleaner bags that you put the item in and then put it in your dryer to clean. I also spot clean it when I spill something on it. The white color may need cleaning more often then the dark fuschia color I used. It is the throw that everyone wants to use when they are snuggling on the sofa to read or watch a movie.

67 Susan January 6, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I bought the exact same throw. I like yours so much better. I’ll be out shopping for yarn as soon as the Milwaukee’s -40 degree wind chill weather breaks. Thanks for the great pom-pom instructions.