Picture Frame Gallery Wall With a Valentine Surprise

by Diane Henkler on 01/31/2013

Happy February 1st.  Valentine’s Day is only two weeks away. I can feel the love in the air. Hearts are starting to show up every where I look –on blogs, on Pinterest, on TV, in town, the supermarket, at the library, in the mall – and now my house.

How to make a frame gallery wall

I don’t put up a lot of decorations for Valentine’s Day. Flowers and a few cards may grace a tablescape, but that is usually about it.  This year, I added a heart along with some pretty pink roses to an empty frame gallery wall that I created at the top of my foyer staircase.

I created the picture frame gallery wall by using a few frames I had on hand along with a few I picked up inexpensively at the thrift store.  To mix it up just a bit more and add more layers and interest – I added my hubby and my initials. Ed loves Di <3.     I used Command Brand Picture Hanging Strips to hang everything on the wall – not one hole. They come off cleanly and won’t damage your walls thanks to the stretch-release technology that is on all Command Products.

Photo Gallery Wall Art  Ideas

Supplies Needed:

Empty Frames of various sizes, colors, and shapes
Command Picture Hanging Strips – 2 sets for each frame
Wood Letters
Wood Heart
Flat sided vases
Fresh or fake flowers
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Clean rag or cotton balls
Bubble level
Painter’s tape
Tape measure

Wall art layout ideas

1. Determine how large the area is that you want to create the frame gallery. Mark it with painter’s tape. Clean wall surface with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, wipe gently, let dry.

How to hang a picture on the wall without making a hole

2. Mark the same measurements on the floor as a staging area for the placement of the frames. Play around with how you want the frames to be on the wall – where your initials, heart, and flowers will go. Once you like your layout – take a photo of it so you have it as a reference, if needed.

Command Picture Hanging Strip Ideas

3. Clean the back of all the frames with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and let dry. If there is any paper backing on the back of the frame, remove it or as much as you can.

4. Figure out how many sets of Command Picture Hanging Strips you will need. To make a set – press 2 strips together until they click.

Command Brand Picture Hanging Strip Tips

5. You need to use two sets of Command Picture Hanging Strips on the backs of all the frames that will be attached directly to the wall. Do not add strips to the frames that will be layered yet.

To attach: Remove one green liner. Position one set of Command Picture Hanging Strips on the back of frame, press firmly. Repeat. Remove the remaining green liner.

Adding Frames to Wall

Picture Hanging tips using Command Brand Picture Hanging Strips

6. Start with bottom frame in your layout/design. Use a bubble level to make sure frame is level and then press firmly into the wall for 30 seconds. Once first frame is up, continue to add the base frames to the wall in the same way. Make sure each is straight, then press firmly and hold each one up for 30 seconds.

7. Each layered frame and letter will need the Command Picture Hanging Strips placed in different areas on the back – it may not be on the top as the base frames were attached, so do one by one. Hold the layered frame up to the wall on top of the base frames that are already mounted on the wall to determine where the Command Picture Hanging Strips will need to be attached to the back of it – You want to attach them where they will overlap the first layer of frames. Once you figure out where the Command Picture Hanging Strips need to be attached, attach them in the same way as in Step 5.

How to layer frames on a wall photo gallery

Wall Photo Gallery Ideas

How to hang initials on a wall

8. Figure placement for layered letters to resemble a monogram. Add Command Picture Hanging Strips to the back of the smaller side letters first. Remove green liners. Center large center letter over them and press firmly for 30 seconds

How to hang art

9. Then attach the Command Picture Hanging Strips to the back of the larger center letter.

Uses for Command Brand Picture Hanging Strips

10. Flip it over. Remove green liner strips.

Wall Decorating Ideas

11. Press firmly to the wall. Hold for 30 seconds.

Wall Decorating Ideas

12. To attach a single letter to a small frame – determine where the letter will contact the frame. Place Command Picture Hanging Strips in these sections. Remove green liners, and press firmly into the frame. Hold for 30 seconds.

How to hang small items on a wall

Do the same to attach the heart.

Valentine's Day Decorating Ideas

Valentine's Day Decorating Ideas

To attach vases – Add one set of Command Picture Hanging Strips to the back of each vase.

How to hang a vase on a wall

Determine placement for each and then press each firmly into the wall. Hold for 30 seconds.

How to hang a vase on a wall

Add water and flowers.

Decorating with flowers

When February 15th rolls around, the heart and flowers will be easy to take down while leaving no damage to the wall since I used the Command Brand Picture Hanging Strips.

Photo Wall Gallery Layout Ideas

How-to-make-a-frame-gallery-wall

If you would like to learn more about Command Products and see more ideas on how you can use Command Picture Hanging Strips in your home you can visit their web site – Command.com. Follow them on Twitter @Command Brand,  Facebook, and Pinterest.

I am working with Command Brand from 3M to share projects I created in my home. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Pin It

1 Emilou January 31, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Oh, my, I am so totally in awe! I love the way you have the grouping of empty frames, and yeah, they are all colors and styles. I had to read every word and really studied how you adheared the vases. The flowers are the crowning touch. Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

2 Sylvia January 31, 2013 at 11:30 pm

BRAVO Diane.
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY.

3 Joanne January 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Nice look, but Command Strips are very expensive. How many did the project use?

4 Marilyn January 31, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I think the idea of putting the vases on the wall was pretty clever! Thanks for sharing!

5 Mommae February 1, 2013 at 1:55 am

wow, wow, Wow! I’m thinking about decorating our foyer too. But, I don’t have any final design yet. I am planning to research on how to put up a gallery wall, and here it is in your blog! Executed perfectly! I love how you added the vases with flowers! Thanks for providing the step-by-step process on how to do it! I’m very excited to decorate our wall.

Regards,
Mae

6 Linda Southworth February 1, 2013 at 7:20 am

I would say this works for a long time display by changing out your themed items. Love it!

7 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions February 1, 2013 at 8:16 am

That looks great, Diane! I love how you’ve layered the frames. Nice way to add interest with the initials, too.

8 Lisa February 1, 2013 at 8:23 am

Here’s another reason I love your website! You are so creative it’s awesome!

9 Diane @ homesweethomemade February 1, 2013 at 8:39 am

Diane – this is the prettiest curation of frames I’ve ever seen! Totally love how you added the monograms and flowers. Picture perfect!! xo

10 Dianne February 1, 2013 at 9:38 am

This looks fantastic I just loooooove it. Wow the flowers are fabulous Brilliant idea all of it…..

11 Josh Urso Design February 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

Wow! You’ve opened our eyes to the potential of the command strips! We can’t believe they’ll hold a vase with water and flowers to a wall. Very creative and definitely gutsy!

12 Lesley February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I LOVE this! Thanks for the inspiration!

13 cassie {hi sugarplum} February 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm

That looks really really cool!! I love the dimension, and all the frames are really cool! Great job!

14 Nif @ Call*Me*Nif February 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Love the flower vases! How unique!!

15 Betsy February 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I love this idea. I can’t believe you can actually use these on vases too. Haven’t tried them yet, but that’s going to change. Thanks for the great tutorial!

16 Athena at Minerva's Garden February 2, 2013 at 3:53 am

What a pretty Valentine’s day decor idea!

17 Vanessa February 2, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi, Diane

I love this idea and I always enjoy learning something new from you. By the way, I changed my name from HOme Sweet Butterfly to DIY 180.
Have a great weekend.

Vanessa

18 Amber February 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

I love love LOVE command strips! I use them to hang everything I can in my house, except for the super heavy stuff. Love the gallery wall — especially the vases with the real flowers! :)

19 Kim@NewlyWoodwards February 2, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Wow! This is amazing! I’m so inspired by this entire wall. I love the depth of the frames and how you added in the monograms and flowers …

My mind is reeling with all of the possibilities.

Stopping over from Serenity Now.

20 Rebecca February 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Love this post! Especially loving the monogrammed letters and the heart!

21 Lynn February 6, 2013 at 11:08 am

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your gallery wall! The layers and different frames are so pretty and fresh! Thanks for sharing and I might be doing my own version soon on my big, blank living room wall. I’ve been looking for an idea and something like this might be perfect.

22 Sheryll & Critters. March 28, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I just love this one too. I have always kept a secret wish to do the 3 D wall like the one in your guest bedroom. I think this one is even easier. I just have to get busy and buy some spray paint and a lot more picture frames. I think both are just gorgeous!

23 CarrollAlexander July 13, 2013 at 7:27 am

I think its one of finest surprise for valentine day special, I really like it…and thanks for giving this wonderful idea about the valentine day.