New? Start Here
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read my Disclosure Policy.
If this is your first time here… Welcome to In My Own Style.
My name is Diane Henkler and I love adding my own personal style to everything I do and want to inspire you to do the same using your own style.
I created the blog back in 2009 to inspire readers to seek and find what their personal style signature is that will make you feel like a confident in your own life and an inspiration to the people around you.
Along the way there will be lots of daily creativity, DIY projects, and how-to tutorials to make the journey easy, interesting, and fun, so you can live in a style isn’t just about what you wear, style encompasses life and how you choose to live every minute of everyday with it.
Not only from the way you dress, but how you effortlessly host dinner for friends or pick-up a one-of-a-kind vase for your living room at a flea market, to the way you creatively wrap a gift or choose the perfect stationary when writing a personal note.
Style is about making everything you do – unique only to YOU.
I would like to explain a little bit about my blog and how to find what you are looking for. You can read more about me and my background on my About Me page.
My motto…“Life it too short to be the caretaker of the wrong details.”
When I hear… “That is so YOU!” It is the best compliment ever. I know I have succeeded in editing my life to live authentically like no one else but myself.
It is the best way to live. It is my hope that I can inspire you to do the same.
Looking for a Place to Find Decorating Inspiration on a Budget?
My favorite thing to do is help readers create a beautiful home for themselves and their families… on a modest budget!
Decorating a home does not have to be hard, expensive or time consuming. I can help you with decorating advise, ideas, project how-tos and more.
Here is what others are saying…
“This blog contains concise, compulsively readable, and approachable DIY projects, with plenty of pictures. Many design blogs just display the finished product, but Diane Henkler shows the process, taking readers through each project step by step.”
“I love Diane and her blog, she shows you with her projects and creative ideas that it is not about having more or less, but about finding what is right for you and YOU alone”
If you are looking for easy, smart, stylish and creative ideas to make your home and life the best they can be on a small budget then you have come to the right place.
Does this sound like you?
- Living life on a budget.
- A creative spirit who loves DIY projects and creative home decor.
- Looking to change some things in your home and you want some ideas on how to transform it without spending a fortune.
- Get more excited when you see a unique table with a $5 price tag at a thrift store than a table at a popular home store at the mall. Knowing that you can make it over to look like one sold at a high end home store.
- Look forward to next month’s decorating magazines with anticipation.
- Love reading home decorating and lifestyle blogs and websites.
- Scour yard sales for items to decorate your home.
- Find scrolling through the images on Pinterest or Instagram as therapy.
- Jump up and down and squeal when the color of paint you chose for your bedroom walls is beyond perfect.
I hope my projects and ideas inspire you to live and decorate authentically in your own style and peruse my posts and pages and leave excited & inspired to add your own style to your home and life.
No matter where you live or what your personal tastes are, we have one common goal:
To make our home, not only as beautiful as it can be, but functional and comfortable to enjoy a life worth living.
Let’s Get Started!
How to Find Topics, Posts and Projects:
- To read my blog in the standard blog view, Click on All Blog Posts in the Most Recent Post section on the HOME page where it says Read All Blog Posts. You can get to the home page by clicking on my blog’s logo in the header portion on each post/page.
- Topics are all listed along the navigation bar. Click on any of these to find the topic you are looking for. Some CATEGORIES have drop down menus that will open up more categories. Just click on any of these to get where you want to go.
- To manually search for a post or topic: Type what you are looking for into the SEARCH BAR on the top right-hand side of my blog page and click enter.
- There is also a SEARCH BAR in the sidebar of every page. Posts on the topic will populate so you can then scroll through to find what you are looking for.
Take a Walk-Through Video of My House With Me
My Most Popular Posts:
- How to Make an Outdoor Lantern Using a Tuna Can
- How to Make and Paint with DIY Chalk Paint
- How to Make A Monogram in Microsoft Word
- How to Draw on a Chalkboard Like an Artist
- How to Hide Cords on Wall-Mounted TV’s
FAQ’s about the Camera I Use:
When I started this blog back in 2009, I used a Nikon point and shoot. Two years into blogging I stepped up my photography game and bought a Canon 60D. I used this for about 2 years and then upgraded to a used Canon 5D Mark 2. About a year ago I bought a new Canon 5D Mark 3. I do all my photo editing using Photoshop Elements and Adobe Lightroom.
What lenses do you use?
The lenses I currently use most often are:
- Canon 24-70L 2.8mm
- Canon 50mm 1.2
- Canon 100 mm 2.8L
Can you recommend a good starter DSLR camera and lens?
Any model of a Canon Rebel is a good starter DSLR camera and a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens.
Get My Posts Delivered Straight to Your Inbox
I’d like to invite you to sign up to get my latest posts by email. It is full of stuff you won’t find here on the blog. No fluff. No spam. No junk. Join the 42,000 people who have signed up so far.
Just One More Thing…
Thanks for stopping by. Without you this blog would not exist. If it wasn’t for all of you stopping by to read my posts and sharing your style, tips, and lessons learned with me. I appreciate your emails, comments, and shares. I learn something new every day.
I’d love for you to introduce yourself. Don’t be shy, leave me a comment here or on any post.
My best – Diane