Free Monogram Fonts

Happy Monday – Today I have part 3 of 3 for you on How To Make a Printable Monogram to embellish decorative accessories and gifts. I am sharing my favorite free monogram fonts.

I originally planned for the series to be one post, but as I started writing about how I made monograms on my computer, I realized it was going to be way too long for one post.  To answer all the questions I receive about the process – it morphed into 3 posts.   Dividing it into 3 also helps makes it easier for readers to find the exact information they are looking for.

If you have not read the first two posts you can find them here:

Printable Monograms for Decorating & Giving

How To Create a Monogram to Print Using Microsoft Word

Below are the fonts that I have found work well when creating a monogram to print.

Free Monogram Fonts

1. Debonair Inline   2. DF Kai SB    3. Aparajita    4. Niagara Engraved  5. Lucinda Bright   6. Bodoni Condensed  7. EcuyerDAX  8. Agency  9. Agency  10. Gills Sans MT Condensed  11. Monogram KK  12. Ecolier 13. Cursif   14. Little Lord Fontleroy NF

The word -Monogram Fonts is:  LD Corsair  – It is not free.  I paid $3 for it.   The word  FreeCK Cursive

When downloading fonts – please take note of the “READ” files. These contain any specific details about the font – if it is only for personal use, etc.  On many sites, you can also donate some $$$ to help the designers that make fonts accessible for us to use.

swirl

A few tips to consider when you create your own monograms.

• Any font can be made into a monogram, but fonts that are vertical, not slanted, work better.
  • Mix lower case with upper case letters for a modern take on the traditional.
  • Add 2 smaller letters on top of each other, the third larger.  See font #8. It is the same font as #9, just arranged differently.
  • Add Wingdings above or under the letters, or bullets on each side.  Most computer word processing programs come with Wingdings.  Go down to “W” in your font list to find them.    Choose Wingdings as your font then – Click on the letter S on your keyboard to make a diamond shaped bullet:  S =s   L=l N=n Z= There are many more swirls, dots and dashes that would work well with monograms, so experiment until you find one you like.
  • Another way to add embellishments around your monogram is using the font “Nymphette”   No letters in this font, just swirls and pretty embellishments that can be made as easily as a keystroke.  Like the purple swirl  above – under the list of fonts links.
  • There is no right way – create something truly unique in your own style. That is what makes DIYing so much fun.   You get to do it your way.

Comments

1. Sheryll & Critters. says

Diane you are just FABULOUS!

I want to share you on my FB page……so hope you all read it…. love you Diane.

2. Stacye Hixson says

Diane, I have just spent over 2 hours going through your blog and I am in love with it. You are brilliant. I will definitely be a follower from this day forward.

Hi Anna – You can use the fonts you download in your word processing program, Photoshop, and software on your computer. I have Microsoft Word and Photoshop. When I click on my fonts tab in these programs- a font list appears so you can choose what font you want to use in your document or in an image.

When you download the fonts you may have to restart your computer for the new fonts to show up in your font lists.

Having a variety of fonts to use in your documents, email messages, and on photos and creative applications adds more style than just using the basic fonts that come with your computer and software.

3. brooke says

hey! so i got the cursif font and i downloaded it then installed it… then i went to microsoft word and i could’nt find the font anywhere!! please help ASAP! :)

Did you restart your computer since downloading the font? It may be as simple as a restart and then it will show up. I know the way my computer is configured Windows 7 with Firefox as my browser the fonts just show up. What operating system and browser are you using?

Hi Lauren – I don’t have a Cricut, so I am not sure. Wish I knew more and could help you out. Try “Goggle”ing the question and see what turns up.

4. Jenni Smith says

How do you create the templates that the monograms go onto? Is it a software package? An example I’m thinking of would be a chevron background with a scalloped circle in the center with the monogram within the circle. I see those everywhere, but have no idea how to create them, where people get those graphics, etc.

Hi Jenni – You save the images that you find online or make your own in photo enhancing software programs like Photoshop or PhotoShop Elements, Illustrator, Picasa, Pic Monkey or digital scrapbook sites. On Etsy and scrapbook sites, you may be able to buy images or they may even offer free printables for you to download and then customize as you like. For instance, to make the chevron with the scalloped circle I made for my phone, I scanned a piece of chevron scrapbook paper I bought. Uploaded it to my computer, opened the scanned image in Photoshop Elements and used the tools in the program to change the size and color. I then made a circle image, added the scallops and dots again using the tools in PSE. The monogram was using the font KK Monogram. I added that image on top of the chevron and then saved the image. I can then use it for an online image or print it out. I hope this helps. When I first started blogging, I didn’t understand how it was done either and bought Photoshop Elements so I could learn how to do it. Pic Monkey is free and so is Picasa and GIMP. Do a Google Search for them and you can download them for free.

• Jenni Smith says

Wow. That is amazingly helpful! I will get Photoshop Elements right away! I had no idea. Maybe I can actually tackle this! I didn’t even know where to start. Thanks so so much!!!!!!!!

5. Sarah says

hey, I downloaded this and found it in Microsoft office. Can I transfer it to my cricut? I’m in desperate need of this type of font for decals and stuff. HELP!

Hi Sarah – I am not sure if Cricut software brings up the fonts or not. I have a Silhouette and all the fonts on my computer come up in the Silhouette software. I didn’t have to do anything – they just show up when I go in to make something on the machine.

6. Cheryl says

I am trying to figure out how to get a circle font to cut on the Silhouette…in other words, the three letters of the monogram form to make a circle. I have seen one that is pricey…are you familiar where to get a free font like this?

What sites are you finding safe to download free fonts? I previously downloaded a free font and got a virus. :(

Hi Cheryl – I know the type of monogram letters you want. I have not yet found a site with a font like that yet. If and when I do, I will be sure to post it. As far as free font sites – Dafont.com is the best. I have never had a problem downloading fonts from there.

7. Channing Harper says

I was wondering if you knew where to download a circle block monogram font. the only place i can find one is fontbros.com and its asking for $19.95

Hi Channing –

I wish I did as I would love to use it on so many things. I have only found it where you need to pay for it. I will keep checking and if I do find one, I will definitely post about it.

HI Gail –

Yes you can download any font to your computer. I don’t have a Cricut, but I do have a Silhouette and all of the fonts I have downloaded to my computer show up when I open up my Silhouette software on my computer. It could be the same for the Cricut.

Hi Tiffany – I am not familiar with that file format or an embroidery machine, so I am not sure. I would Google the question and see if an answer shows up.

8. C says

You are a lifesaver! Downloaded the swirls (Nymphette font) and see it in my fonts, but where do I choose which of the swirls I want to use?

Thanks so much!

9. Kristen says

SOOOO helpful! I missed the little button that said “install” and your post helped me to see it! Thank you!