Savoy Cabbage Salad Recipe – A Crowd Pleaser

Happy Monday – I hope you had a wonderful weekend.  It turned out to be a nice one here – only a few showers that didn’t stop us from any of our outdoor plans and activities.  For me that meant lots of painting.  I did stop working though to make a friends and family favorite recipe to bring to a potluck style outdoor picnic barbecue at a friend’s house on Friday night.

Savoy-Chinese-Cabbage-Salad-Recipe

It is by far the most asked-for recipe in my recipe box.

I first tasted this salad when my friend Tara brought it to a neighborhood gathering many years ago.  Ed and I loved it and so did my daughters – they were pre-teens at the time.  I asked Tara for the recipe since it would be a way to get more greens into their diet.

Tara worked for the Gap (clothing store) at the time and had written the recipe for me on paper with the Gap logo on it.  That paper went right into my recipe box and for years that is what it stayed on. I never transferred it to a recipe card.   The salad fondly became known as “Gap Salad” in my house.

For many years, when my daughters or I would made it to take to a picnic or party – we also took a few copies of the recipe, knowing in advance – someone would ask for it.  All through their high school and college years this is what their friends always requested they bring to every gathering where food was needed.    It is also what my family, friends, and co-workers always ask me to bring when we get together and I happily oblige, as it is fast and easy to make. No doubt – it is a crowd pleaser!

Savoy-Cabbage-Salad-Ingredients

Savoy Cabbage Salad

1 head savoy cabbage, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1 package Ramen noodle soup – chicken flavor
1- 2 oz. pkg. Sesame seeds or slivered almonds – I have added both to one salad.

Dressing:

6 Tablespoons Nakano Roasted Garlic Rice Wine vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 cup oil
Ramen noodle chicken flavor packet

Ramen-Noodle-recipes

-Break up Ramen Noodles on a cookie sheet with sesame seeds and/or almonds. Bake at 325 degrees until very light golden color.  Remove from oven and let cool.

-Chop the cabbage into strips and then again crosswise to create bite-size pieces.

-Chop the scallions.

Savoy-Cabbage-Salad-Recipe

-Mix the dressing ingredients together in a jar and shake well.

-Right before serving:  Mix all the ingredients together and toss until it is mixed well.

Enjoy !

If you make and take this to a gathering of friends and family – be prepared. Make a few copies of the recipe, I guarantee you are going to be asked for it.

Comments

I can’t believe this! About 20 years ago, a friend named Marcia brought a very similar salad to our house. I got the recipe from her and still have the original copy which is entitled “Marcia’s Salad”. I am ordered to bring it to every family event. Marcia added sesame seeds and almonds to the Ramen noodles while toasting. My own personal touch is adding a can of drained mandarin oranges to the final salad. You are right. Everyone requests this salad!

2. Sheryll & Critters. says

Yes, I love this one also. And Mandarin oranges sounds great too. I used to drive a few miles extra to go to a ethnic store to get the Ramen noodles that are already toasted and they had a better taste to me….. I need to look for those again….. you can not get them in the regular grocery store though.

Hi Sheryll -Already toasted Ramen noodles – They would be worth driving a few extra miles for. I will have ask at my local Chinese grocery store.

3. Wilma says

I remember when Kelly made this is Kolda! I was such a happy kid that day and I made her give me the recipe =)

Hi Wilma – I didn’t know she made it when she was in Africa – makes sense though as it was a favorite. Was it hard to find all the ingredients? Are you home yet or still in Africa?

• Wilma says

We improvised some things, but it was delish! I’m still in Senegal, but I’ll be home in a month!

Hi Diane,
    I hopped over from FB to see your recipe. We have a lot of this cabbage growing in our garden right now! I will have to adapt your recipe because my husband is allergic to chicken! I’m sure I can use some other flavor of Ramen noodles. Thanks for the recipe!

5. Sunny C says

Hey Diane; Thank-You so much for posting this Recipe. I have not ever tried this before!
    I must make it however, and take it to the next Gathering, which will be soon!!!
    I am wondering though, is a cup of oil really needed, or can you cut back on that amount? Please let me know what you or the other readers think.
    Thank-You so much :-)

Hi Sunny – Yes you can use less. I have made it using 1/2 cup and it tastes just fine to me. Some heads of cabbage are smaller then others – so you can tweak the amount of oil as you feel is needed for your taste.

6. Kim says

I am a recipe-aholic and read cook books as if they were novels! Just got out of my reading chair from reading about making my own cheese to see this delicious salad. Never tried savoy, now I will! Have made similar salads with napa cabbage. Thanks Diane.

7. Carolyn B says

Sounds a lot like a salad I make for light lunch or dinner. Try adding some fresh cooked chicken pieces to it…yummy!

8. Pam says

Hi Diane,
    I can’t wait to try this recipe…sounds delisc. I have to surf over and visit you daily…you always have the neatest ideas and recipes….You are my favorite Blogger!!!! Our decorating taste is so much alike…Thanks for sharing!!

9. Maureen says

Yes, this looks great. I’ve had a similar salad in the past, but never made it. This is on my July 4th cookout menu now! Love the idea of adding the mandarin oranges and using less oil. I was about to ask that question too. I really enjoy your blog, Diane.

I had hoped to make this and bring to a July 4th barbecue but Nakano Roasted Garlic Rice Wine Vinegar is not available in Arizona. Any suggestions?

Hi Dana – You can use plain rice wine vinegar – it will still taste delish. The original recipe just called for Rice Wine Vinegar, I have found whenever I use the Roasted Garlic flavored, it tastes even better – that is why I added the brand name to the recipe.

11. patti says

used broccoli slaw mix, 1/2 c oil, no scallions, reg rice vin, toasted ramen noodles and almonds, everyone raved about it!

Hi Patti – Yum – What a good idea. The broccoli slaw would provide a nice texture. Will have to try it. Something a bit different. Thanks for sharing.