One Yard Decor: Inset Kitchen Cabinet Memo Board and More…

I have many decorating projects going on in my kitchen right now.  Painting chairs and table legs, the light fixture and redoing the floor are all on my summer To-Do list.  All of these projects take time, so in between some of the more time-consuming projects, I want to do some simple projects that will still have a lot of decorating impact. Today’s post is one of those – quick and simple, but best of all – one that anyone can do. If you know how to wrap a gift with wrapping paper – you can do this. It will take 20 minutes.

With less than one yard of fabric I made this memo board for my kitchen cabinet.

Board  Kitchen Decorating Ideas Fabric covered Cabinet-Memo-

All I needed was a piece of foam board from The Dollar Tree and fabric.  You could also use corrugated cardboard cut from a large box.

Quick and Easy Furniture-makeover ideas

Since I only used a small section from the yard of fabric, I decided to make a tray insert in the same way I made the memo board, but instead of hanging it, I placed it flat into this tray table in my guest room.

On the cabinet or table – it can be as temporary or permanent as you want.  Just pop it in and out, leaving no damage.

Chevron-Fabric-at-Michaels-Crafts-Stores

I got the black and white chevron fabric at Michaels – yep, Michaels – the craft store. They now sell pre-cut fabric in many types, styles, patterns, and colors.

Cabinet: Before

Easy Kitchen-Decorating-Ideas using fabric

Tray Table:  Before

How-to-accessorize-a-tray-table

How-to-make-a-memo-board-with-fabric

Supplies Needed:

Fabric – I bought this black and white Chevron fabric at Michaels

Cardboard or dollar store foam board large enough to fit inset space on cabinet door
Duct  tape
Scissors
T-square to straight edge to cut board to size
Craft knife
Command Brand Damage Free Hanging Strips

Beveled-Inset-Panel-Kitchen-Cabinets

1. Measure the inset area on cabinet door. For the tray  – measure the bottom of the inside of a tray.

Fabric covered Kitchen-Cabinet-Memo-Board tutorial

2. Cut the foam board to those measurements using a straight edge and craft knife.

3. Cut fabric about 2-inches larger than the board on all sides.

4. Lay the fabric right side down and center the cut foam board on top. Bring the excess fabric to the back of the foam board and secure with duct tape. Be sure to pull fabric taut before taping.

Fabric-wrapped-cardboard-memo-board instructions

5. To hang the covered board on a cabinet door, use Command Brand No Damage  Hanging Strips.  I used 4 sets – one set on each back corner.  If you are not familiar with how these work – See this post:  Mudroom Organizing Wall

Cabinet: After

kitchen-cabinet-memo-board-made-using-fabric-and-cardboard

Use push pins or thumbtacks to hang your memos and stuff.

Kitchen-Cabinet-Makeover-Idea-that-doesn't-require-paint

Inset-Kitchen-Cabinet-Memo-Board using Fabric

TrayTable:  After

Thrifty-Decor-Ideas for furniture

To place in a tray – just set it in.

Table-top-decorating-ideas

For more ideas on how to use one yard or less of fabric when decorating, see these posts.

One Yard or Less Wicker Tray Insert

One Yard or Less Fabric Covered Boxes

One Yard Window Treatment – 3 Ways

Kitchen Cabinet Decorating Idea using fabric to make a Memo Board

Comments

WOW! This looks fabulous…but that is no surprise. I have seen it with chalkboard but never like this…so easy and the results are amazing. Thanks for sharing this one…now this is on the to do list for sure. hugs…

2. Vikki says

Great idea Diane! I can picture several fabric patterns I would like to try using this technique. Vikki in VA.

3. Sheryll & Critters. says

Oh I love it and the pattern is perfect. You are so very clever.

I so love your guest bedroom and that 3-D wall you did….. and that dresser with the gorgeous top and of course your pillows and well….. just everything. The 3 D wall has been on my wish list since I first saw it. I will be trying to get more mirrors to do it this year (I hope).

4. Michelle says

Love this idea! I’ve been struggling with adding some interest to my kitchen cabinets. I may give this a shot.

5. Christine Bright says

I generally read and don’t comment, but I feel so selfish doing that. This is why I love your blog. You always have some neat little project that is totally doable and usually coincides with an issue that I am currently having in my house. How do you do that?! I am overrun with kids’ schedules and paperwork and the corkboard I have is not cutting it. I have limited space to use and a bigger corkboard would be way too heavy for where I need to put it. The one I currently have falls down from time to time. lmao So this is PERFECT for that space and I can make it as tall as my broom cabinet!

Hi Christine – Funny how that works – things, ideas, images that coincide with our own life. I chalk it up to being Kindred spirits or living on the same wavelength :) I always try to make things do-able. I know from experience that we all want nice things but are limited on either time and money – and usually both. Having worked for many years in retail display taught me how to make things the quick and easy way and still have them look good and last a long time.

6. Denise says

Love this! Your projects are just perfect…. the colors and fabrics you use are so colorful and cheerful. I love that purple bowl on the tray…do you remember where you found it?

Hi Denise – I bought it at a little boutique in Stonington, CT about 4 years ago. The label on the bottom says Detroit Glass Company. They have a website and it looks like they still make them.

I love that pattern, I think if I used it my husband wouldn’t be to happy but it would sure bring some life to my kitchen.

8. Marie says

I am so excited to see this! My daughter has a bunk bed and we have been thinking how to make the bottom of the top bunk cute AND FUNCTIONAL! I am going to do this project…but on a much larger scale. Her room is white, lime green and black…so I am on the fabric hunt today. I will use a home foam insulation board, measure, trim, cover and hang. SO EXCITED!!!!

9. Kristin says

I gave up trying to be crafty, trying to organize, or decorate our house… Seemed easy projects were not so, for me, or husband thought it all a waste of money. These projects are doable, and I loved knowing where to get materials I may not have. Thanks for these ideas! I see some uses for small fabric remnants I never used but didn’t want to “waste”!

10. Nicole says

OMG thank you sooooo much I just moved into a house with all white in the kitchen and its driving me crazy. Thanks sooooooooo much

I just found your website and am loving it! I am going to make this memo board asap. Thank you so much for the idea! Have you tried hot glue instead of the duck tape? Just wondering if that would work too.

Hi Sara – Thanks. Hot glue would work perfectly on cabinets that are not painted. Mine are painted and if I remove the board, hot glue could pull the paint off with it.

12. Allyson says

What a terrific idea! I am going to do it on the inside of one of my cupboards because I don’t have the same style, but this is a great and inexpensive idea! I came over because of your project being featured on Organize and Decorate Everything. Definitely putting on my blog reader!