Summertime is here… maybe not officially as in June 21, but it sure is here in a delicious way… favorite summertime foods. My favorites are corn on the cob, fresh off the vine tomatoes topped with basil and the Caesar salad that my mom always made when I was growing up. My siblings and I loved it since my mom never added anchovies.
To this day it is a family favorite recipe that has stood the test of time and is easy to make anytime during the year, but perfect to enjoy alfresco on a summer evening. I knew it was just the recipe to share with you for the summer recipe blog hop that I am participating in today with 19 other bloggers today.
The key to making the salad delicious it to make sure you start the prep a day in advance before you plan to serve it. Take a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and stir 2-3 cloves of minced garlic into it.
Cover and let it sit overnight or longer.
Then when it is time to serve the salad, whip up the egg, lemon juice, Worchershire, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Then whisk in the parmesan cheese. My mom always used Kraft Parmesan Cheese in the container with the green cap. It is what I still use, but it does taste delicious with fresh grated parmesan.
Place torn romaine, iceberg lettuce and diced tomatoes in a large bowl.
Right before it is time to eat, pour the garlic infused oil through a strainer and over the lettuce and tomatoes.
Then whip up the egg, parmesan and lemon juice mixture and pour over the lettuce and tomatoes.
Toss well and enjoy. Croutons are optional. :-)
It tastes best when eaten right away… and don’t worry about leftovers…there won’t be any as you, your family and friends will all want a second helping.
What is your favorite summer food?
Caesar Salad Recipe
- 1-3 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup croutons optional
- 1 beaten egg Use 1/4 cup chicken broth if you don't want to use a raw egg.
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- One day or 8 hours in advance: Mince garlic into salad oil. Cover and let garlic infuse in oil until serving.
- In serving bowl, tear lettuce into bowl, add diced tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and then add parmesan cheese, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Right before serving, pour garlic infused oil through strainer over lettuce and tomatoes. Toss well.
- Stir parmesan mixture and then pour over lettuce. Toss well.
- Optional: Add croutons and toss
- Serve immediately.
Today I am taking part in a seasonal summer food blog hop where I know you will find a recipe or two that may become your summer favorites.
To see the recipes, click on the blog name under each photo below.
Check out what they have in store…
Lavender Blackberry Sparkling Lemonade at Satori Design for Living // Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes at Nina Hendrick Design Co. // Luscious Lemon Curd Parfaits at Summer Adams // Strawberry Jello Poke Cake at A Pretty Life