Do you like the look of large baskets in your home’s decor? Not sure how to make the items you place inside look full? If so, then here is a decorate with baskets tip for you that will make your decorating efforts using large baskets around your home look decorating magazine worthy.
The best place to find large baskets or wicker storage baskets of all styles on a budget to use in your home decor is at HomeGoods, TJ Maxx and Marshalls.
Most baskets we use around the house are small and we use them to store and organize stuff on shelves in drawers and more.
How To Decorating Tip When Using Large Baskets
When decorating with large baskets, first fill them with pieces of foam that you can save from packaging and balled up plastic bags.
It is similar to putting foam or plastic in the bottom of a big flower planter so you don’t need as much dirt which and also makes the planter lighter.
When filling a large basket with faux flowers:
- The foam fills the bottom so the stems don’t sink down into the basket.
- The plastic bags are balled up and placed between layers or rows of flowers to separate them.
Once you have one row or layer of flowers placed in the basket, ball up a few more plastic bags and lay them right below the flower heads. Doing this helps keep the flower heads from looking smushed.
Keep layering flower stems, followed by balled up bags until you like what you see. Use green or tan bags to keep them hidden and blended in.
When using faux flowers, always gently bend the stems, especially with heavy flowers like peonies that will naturally fall over the edge of a vase or basket.
More Large Basket Filler Ideas
On the other side of my living room is another large decorating basket that I use from time to time to hold a faux fern.
- The fern isn’t huge, so I fill the bottom of the basket with the foam pieces, then a layer of plastic bags and then a dark greenish black lawn and leaf bag. On top of this, I add a final layer of craft store moss filler.
When a fern is placed on top, it sits on top of the basket and moss covered layers of plastic bags nicely and never falls in.
Decorating With Large Baskets in a Bathroom
This medium sized decorating basket is perfect for rolled bathroom towels when you stuff the bottom with an extra towel or two first.
When you do this, the rolled towels stick out of the top more and won’t sink to the bottom of the basket over time.
Decorating With Baskets a Family Room
No stuffing in the bottom of a large basket needed when you use it to hold blanket throws. I have a basket out all year long next to my sofa. It comes in handy even in the summer months when the AC is on and I want a little cozy.
I change this woven basket out by the seasons. Large baskets are also easy to decorate with embellishments from pom-poms to ribbons.
What To Put in Large Decorative Baskets?
If you find yourself in the aisles of your favorite home store and like a large wicker basket. Don’t pass it up. It can be used in so many ways in your home. Here are a few ideas:
In this list you will find many functional ways to use baskets in your decor to corral clutter.
- Entryway – umbrellas or flowers. Or under a console table or bench.
- Living Room – flowers, greenery and/or throw blankets. Or as firewood storage.
- Kitchen – a collection of cutting boards – like Ina Garten does.
- Pantry – shopping bags – both paper and plastic
- Bedroom – a place to put throw pillows instead of the floor when you remove them to sleep.
- Guest Room – extra pillows, extra blankets and towels.
- Bathroom – an ample supply of toilet paper or extra linens.
- Closet – a pretty clothes hamper.
- Playroom – toys, toys and more toys.
- Fitness room – weights, yoga mats and other workout stuff.
- Laundry Room – as a laundry hamper.
- During the Holidays – place a Christmas tree in or a pile of wrapped gifts.
- Porch or Patio – place a large plant or tree.