BEFORE: Dollar Store Frames
I just love the Dollar store. Don’t you? You never know what you are going to find. It is a hit or miss, but when you do come across something nice or that has great potential – all you can say is Wow!
It’s only a $1.00 and you instantly think you should buy more than one because it is such a good deal. I had one of those moments last week when I found two black frames that had two pieces of glass with fruit prints sandwiched between them.
You can see right through the glass as the art is only in the center. The see-through section acts like a border. The print isn’t my style and I knew I was going to take the glass out and re-place it with something more to my liking. The frames reminded of a project I made a few years ago.
This frame was made by sandwiching a starched and pressed vintage hankie between two pieces of glass.
I had the picture framing glass cut at the local glass shop. I used a lot of Windex with a lint free towel to make sure it was super clean before I put the hankie on the glass and then covered it with the second piece.
I hot glued along the line where the rim met the glass to hold the glass in the frame. I made three of these, each with a different hankie, they go up the stairs in my foyer.
Even more surprising, the frames came with saw tooth hangers in place.
The glass was held in with hot glue.
I used a stitch ripper, it was handy and it worked like a charm to remove the hot glue. I just dug the one end under the glue and pulled up.
Be gentle though, because you are working with glass. Best to put on some safety glasses and gloves.
I created what I wanted to replace the fruit print in Microsoft Word.
I bought transparency sheets at Staples for $1.00 a sheet. I put a sheet of it into my printer and pressed print.
Let the transparency dry for a while before handling it. Use a lint free cloth to hold edges of sheet so you don’t leave any finger prints on it.
The fun thing about using a transparency sheet is that what ever color the wall is, that will be what color shows through the frame.
I put hot glue back into the corners to hold the 2 pieces of glass in the frame.
The Finished Frame
I distressed the edges of the frame with sandpaper to give it more character. Total cost: $2.00
You May Also Like: